Can't stop the UTIs!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't stop the UTIs!!

i have basically had a UTI since January 2015. i can't get rid of them. They treat them I am healthy for a couple of days then boom I am falling down and unconcious in an ambulance due to a UTI again! This time they gave me low dose antibiotics to take to try to keep it at bay. Anyone else in this boat? I am tired of being hospitalized.
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Lisa, I am sharing that boat with you! I also have one after another, and I did so even before my suprapubic Catheter. They do not affect me like they do you, mind are far less symptomatic. They really do not really even bother me ( knock on wood). my urologist told me that they be resistant to it.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

So sorry Lisa. I can't even imagine. I do pray the cycle stops for you soon.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My goodness Lisa! I hope that the low level antibiotics works to keep the uti's away. It must be so stressful to have multiple problems, caused by different triggers, especially when the stakes are so high.

I believe in the power of prayer and will be praying for your health to stabilize, keep the faith!

Comment

Recurrent UTI's

Lisa, when I was younger I was getting UTI's a lot. My doctor put me on Macrobid (low level antibiotic) for a while and that helped to keep them away. I hope the antibiotics work for you too!

Have you ever had a cystoscopy? When I was a little kid (like 11), I got a bladder infection that wound up settling into the walls of my bladder. It didn't show up on any urine tests. I had to do very heavy antibiotics for a few weeks to get rid of it. Just a thought.
          Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

Utis

I'm the same way. In your previous thread that I ansawered I was close to death twice cause of utis,

Back in 2015 july, August, Sept utis. Different medications each time, by different drs and the hospital Finally my visiting nurse called the urologist and he prescribeed Macrobid I told the dr I had a bad reaction to that drug about 10yrs ago. Dr said either that are backto the hospital. Iwent on the macrobid and I was sicker from the macrobid than the uuti.

keeping fingers crossed I have not had a uti in six months I hope it keeps up

I hope you get some relief soon Did you ever try macrobid?

Shoo
            Shoo

Comment

Yes, I am on macrobid now for low dose abx.
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Hi
                I had recurrent UTIs after I started rituximaub. From what I read on the support site this is not abnormal since your knocking down your immune system.
                My neuro is the one that figured out I was retaining urine which was causing the infections. He referred me to a gynecologist that had special training in urology implanting an interstim stimulator.
                I had this implanted in Sept 2015 and have not had (knock on wood) a UTI since. It also helps with bowel issues as well.
                I hope you find some relief.

Comment

Lisa, I can't imagine going thru what you are going thru but I had a lot of uti's until I was put on macrobid. I was taking it everyday now just on the days I cath.

I hope the macrobid helps you. Saying a prayer for you.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

pappi

Gwen can you get mri's when you have an interstim
                    Originally posted by gwynnf View Post
                    Hi
                    I had recurrent UTIs after I started rituximaub. From what I read on the support site this is not abnormal since your knocking down your immune system.
                    My neuro is the one that figured out I was retaining urine which was causing the infections. He referred me to a gynecologist that had special training in urology implanting an interstim stimulator.
                    I had this implanted in Sept 2015 and have not had (knock on wood) a UTI since. It also helps with bowel issues as well.
                    I hope you find some relief.

Comment

Hi Lisa. I have followed your postings for a long time and admire your strength of character through so much adversity. You really do deserve a break and I pray that the low dose macrobid is just what you need to break this seemingly unending cycle of utis

Comment

Pappi
                        Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
                        Yes you can get brain MRIs at facilities that have a specific part of sorts in the MRI unit. (I can't remember what it was called.) I know there are 2 facilities near me.
                        My neuro told me that the FDA is processing the "OK" to do MRIs while having the interstim implanted. I believe it is the same type of materials that are in pacemakers. He thinks by the fall...who knows.
                        My thoughts on MRIs at this point is ... why bother? Every MRI that I have ever had never shows any glowing areas and is always "stable"...then why aren't I? If they are always "stable" why am I then progressing. I know they are helpful and necessary....I'm just not a fan of them.
                        But! All is well with the stim and I remain UTI free and go in for a battery check next week.
                        Take care!

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I'm so sorry! I hope the Marcrobid helps keep he UTIs away and stops this vicious cycle for you.

Maybe these have something to do with Tysabri? https://www.tysabri.com/en_us/home/a...e-effects.html

Gilenya threw me into a vicious cycle with UTI (with urosepsis, twice) so can relate somewhat. Praying for you.
                          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Well I had a uti about a wk ago even through I take macrobid but still not as many as before.

gwynnf-- I asked the urologist NP about the interstim & mri's she said they are working on it but didn't know when it will come about. I am going to try it when it does happen, I'm glad to know someone is happy with it.

22cyclist--still hoping you are doing well with the macrobid.
                            God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                              i have basically had a UTI since January 2015. i can't get rid of them. They treat them I am healthy for a couple o days then boom I am falling down and unconcious in an ambulance due to a UTI again! This time they gave me low dose antibiotics to take to try to keep it at bay. Anyone else in this boat? I am tired of being hospitalized.
                              Hi cyclist, I was in ER over Christmas with a UTI. It was horrible!! My balance was awful!! They did put me on an antibiotic. I am still having bouts of feeling off!!! NOT FUN!!

I have been on here for a long time, but never offered any information. I do have a lesion in the brainstem. I now have some breathing issues due to getting pneumonia 2 years ago. I feel like I know you. I love this site!! Hopefully, if you get on an antibiotic it will help. I have related to some of your of the issues you have dealt with from time to time.

I took a bad fall two years ago and hit the pavement face first!! Dr. wanted to know how it happened? I just hit the pavement. very scary!! I was lucky I did not break my nose due to wearing a sun visor hat. My story is long and complicated!!

Hopefully if you get on antibiotic it will help. I have been dealing with stuff for a long time. No one wants to put me in the MS box!! Optic neuritis, went blind, double vision, foot drop etc!! I will pray for you to get through this rough time. You are an inspiration to me.!! Pattigirl

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
                              X