I hope this helps someone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this helps someone

I wanted to see if there was anything causing inflammation outside of MS. I've had consistent progression, but wanted to eliminate the clutter and see what's left. I currently take a number of things. The big hitters are Baclofen and they're working on getting me Ampryl due to a suspected new lesion(s).
    I asked for a steroid to knock down any inflammation and was given dexamethozone. I've noticed some significant improvement in my ability to lift my feet, standing, and a speed of gait. My goal is to get a prescription NSAID that I could take as needed. Steroids aren't a good choice for daily usage and OTC NSAIDS don't work well. I don't have a return of all mobility, but it is nice having increased abilities. I can't push myself and if I do, the next day is no fun, but if I'm reasonable, each day is better.
    Part of the way my brain works. Listening to my body and trying to chip away the things that could be addressed for one more good day. I'm very fortunate that the MS Center is willing to work with me and give some latitude and consideration to my thoughts as long as I'm reasonable in how I approach my own care. I hope this gives others ideas for things to try or investigate.
    I do take a number of other meds, but for the sake of brevity, I left them out because they don't appear to be at play.

Hi Skidder,

I'm glad you had some benefit with steroids.

Steroids have been used for MS for a very long time. Even without current inflammation visible on MRI steroids can still be helpful (sometimes). Steroids can (sometimes) be a temporary solution for long term symptoms. Steroids will not change the course of the disease.

Prescription anti-inflammatories (NSAID) will not help MS symptoms or function. I use a prescription NSAID daily for something unrelated to MS and I have never had any positive outcome, MS wise, (symptoms or functioning) from using it.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Right

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Hi Skidder,

I'm glad you had some benefit with steroids.

Steroids have been used for MS for a very long time. Even without current inflammation visible on MRI steroids can still be helpful (sometimes). Steroids can (sometimes) be a temporary solution for long term symptoms. Steroids will not change the course of the disease.

Prescription anti-inflammatories (NSAID) will not help MS symptoms or function. I use a prescription NSAID daily for something unrelated to MS and I have never had any positive outcome, MS wise, (symptoms or functioning) from using it.
      I have a dx of PPMS so there isn't much in terms of effective treatment. I don't expect the steroids to be a long term fix. My goal is to identify what's MS and what could be possibly be remediated via other treatment outside of normal MS protocol. It's those little things that, when not present, make days a little better, if for no other reason than the morale boost.

Comment

Working...
      X