Spinal Tap vs. Cortisone Injections in Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinal Tap vs. Cortisone Injections in Back

As some of you know, I'm growing increasingly nervous about a spinal tap I'll be having a week from Friday. I have had many cortisone injections into my back for a herniated disk. Could someone who has experienced both talk about the similarities and differences between these procedures? I am not needle phobic, but I am concerned about possible after effects of the ST/LP. I have never had a problem with regular injections, though.

I don't know how people get through the waiting piece of dx. I'm not faring very well.

Hi thisiswater:

It sounds like you may have missed my reply to your thread in the Limbo Landers forum about the reasons why you shouldn't have an LP yet. Coincidentally, someone else posted in the same forum today saying about his neuro: "She said we really don't like doing LP anymore until last resort."

Considering that you already appear (see my post) to meet the diagnostic criteria for MS without an LP and that your neuro appears to not completely understand the significance of an LP in diagnosing MS, are you sure you want to proceed with yours?

Comment

Thank you

Much food for thought. I have a feeling that my neuro who is very young and bright just wants to have every possible thing in place before officially dx'ing me...Does that make sense?

Comment

I had a LP. I also have a young doctor, but appreciated her not taking the "wait and see route". I had the L'hermittage signs, and I had 3 lesions on my scan. The LP was a short procedure. I wouldn't say painless, but I definitely have experienced more pain in my life than the LP. BUT 3 days later I did have to go to the ER for a Blood Patch. I didn't have the extreme headache they speak about, but I could not keep my head up and had to lay at a slant to stop from being dizzy. Back in the day they made you stay over night lying down in a hospital bed. I did lay down at home, after the procedure but still needed the Blood Patch (a "quick" procedure done in the ER). I mean neither are something I want to do again, but the fluid can tell the neuro, I believe, more conculsivley, if you have mylin in the fluid. (I am NOT a doctor, this is just my thoughts).

Comment

I have had a lumbar puncture and it was difficult due to arthritis in my back. It was attempted in my doctors office, but he could not complete it.

He was super professional and did his best, but under x-ray is best, especially if you don't have a typical situation (I have bone spurs, scoliosis, etc.)

It was painful, but not intolerable. Finally had it done at the hospital, laid flat for two hours there and at home for a little more than 24hrs. I personally did not suffer any ill affects.

I have also had cortisone shots they both can be scary if you think of the potential risk, but you have to way the benefits.

The cortisone shot helped me with my pain, the LP didn't give me any definite benefits.d
          I would only do it if I had to. I don't think there is enough benefit if you already meet diagnosis.

Just my opinion…let us know what you decide.

Comment

Working...
          X