Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both Lyrica and Gabapentin could face new restrictions in the UK

January 31, 2016

Two drugs often recommended as safer alternatives to opioid pain medication could face new restrictions in the UK because of increasing reports they are being abused.

British health officials say the prescription drugs pregabalin and gabapentin, which are sold by Pfizer under the brand names Lyrica and Neurontin, are being used by drug abusers to get high, resulting in dozens of overdose deaths.
    Since 2012, at least 38 deaths involving pregabalin and 26 involving gabapentin have been reported in the UK.

The prescribing of pregabalin and gabapentin in the UK has soared by 350% and 150%, respectively, in the last five years. *Both medications are anti-seizure drugs widely prescribed to treat epilepsy, neuropathy, fibromyalgia and anxiety.

The UK Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) is recommending that gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica) be reclassified as Class C controlled substances – which would mean prescriptions would only be valid for one month and there can be no refills.

http://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stori...k-restrictions

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...and-gabapentin
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Good grief!

Yet another assault on the few treatments chronic pain sufferers have! Not that either of those meds helped me, but they do offer relief for a lot of people. Wish they would look at Portugal, where they decriminalized all drugs, and want to guess what happened to their overdose rate? It's the second-lowest in all of Europe. This ridiculous war on drugs should go away, not ramp up. It's all driven by emotion, not by facts.

Just once, I'd like to see someone do a study of how many deaths occur from pain sufferers committing suicide. I bet it's a disturbingly high number.
    PPMS
    Dx 07/13

Comment

I agree J-Bo and not to be that guy but for god sake legalize marijuana. Sure getting high is fun but it's near impossible to OD on and it does help a ton of people. Are we really so concerned that people might use a medication for fun that we won't even look at it?

Also a combined 64 deaths over 3 years is enough for the UK to call something a class C? Dang and I thought we were crazy here in the US.
      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Working...
      X