progression at an older age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My two cents

Those that are good at a mature age, no matter the situation, do better if they are moving and exercising.

I am talking about moving, walking, talking, interacting with others. Doing the best that you can.

Staying on a DMD or not is a personal choice, just as long as it is an educated one. All of the posts I have read, seem educated.

For me, I am with those that I have seen what progression is, and, Tecfidera is working for me. When that stops, I will try some of the others.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Taking no chances

I was dx 3 years ago at the age of 64 but had symptoms for at least 10 years though they weren't bad. Started Aubagio right away and though I have no new lesions I have progressed to a cane, catheters, no driving, bad memory and all kinds of other terrible things.

I will stay on the medication even though I don't know if it is causing any side effects.

I know that I'm older and my bad eyesight and bad memory might be because of that and even my not having the same amount of stamina to walk as far and as long as I used to. BUT the cane is because when I move my head I lose my balance. I am dizzy all day every day. The tingling and numbness are constant. This is not age related. I am aware of what aging can do but my life, even at my age, would be so different and much better if I didn't have MS.

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
        I am dizzy all day every day. The tingling and numbness are constant. This is not age related. I am aware of what aging can do but my life, even at my age, would be so different and much better if I didn't have MS.
        Well put. Even though at 52 (how I wish those numbers were transposed!) I do not expect that I would have the same energy I did when I was young, I think most 52 year olds have more than 1 hour of energy a day. My much older sisters can run circles around me.
        Tawanda

Comment

DMD v DMT - newbie here to needs to know acronyms + here's my story

Hi everyone - I'm 58 years old, had optic neuritis at 51 which resolved, neuro said lesions (very small and only a couple were more typical of migraine). 7 years later (this past December) I had a brain MRI and CT scan for another reason (very bad headache/had to rule out mass/aneurysm). Neuro noticed more lesions so now I'm in the pipeline for a spinal tap. Or, as neuro pointed out, I could have another MRI in 6 months. Now that I know what I know I feel as though I cannot *not* do the lumbar puncture. But what then? From what I'm learning the meds sound positively toxic. I do not have what I'd consider to be awful symptoms of any kind other than arthritis in my knee, a herniated disc for which I get cortisone injections about once a year. What am I getting myself into here? Many thanks!

Comment

Personal Choices

As has been said before to take or not to take DMD's is a personal choice. I was fortunate to have been diagnosed 3 weeks after Aubagio went on the market in the US and decided on it since it wasn't an injection.

I don't know if it is giving me any side effects or not but even if so I am staying on it. I have had no new lesions since I started on it and though I have progressed I am not willing to take the chance of a major flare or worse progression. To me that is like Russian Roulette. But again, everyone must make the choice for themselves, based on their doctors advice and their personal feelings about it.

Comment

DMD vs NO DMD

Originally posted by thisiswater View Post
              Hi everyone - I'm 58 years old, had optic neuritis at 51 which resolved, neuro said lesions (very small and only a couple were more typical of migraine). 7 years later (this past December) I had a brain MRI and CT scan for another reason (very bad headache/had to rule out mass/aneurysm). Neuro noticed more lesions so now I'm in the pipeline for a spinal tap. Or, as neuro pointed out, I could have another MRI in 6 months. Now that I know what I know I feel as though I cannot *not* do the lumbar puncture. But what then? From what I'm learning the meds sound positively toxic. I do not have what I'd consider to be awful symptoms of any kind other than arthritis in my knee, a herniated disc for which I get cortisone injections about once a year. What am I getting myself into here? Many thanks!
              Knowledge is power. Do the diagnostic tests and find out what's happening with your body. Then -- if you do have MS -- my advice is start a DMD asap. Some have worse side-effects than others. I don't think I would describe any as "positively toxic." I've had 99% positive experiences with Avonex and Copaxone (had to switch for insurance coverage.) What's really toxic is what might be happening in your brain -- and the DMD's help slow that down.
              Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X