When is your fatigue at it's worst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is your fatigue at it's worst?

I've been just exhausted in the morning, after waking up from a pretty good sleep. Is there any specific reason for this? I have MS, Fibro, etc etc.

I know all my add-on illnesses can cause fatigue. But lately I just want to sit on the couch and sleep at different times of the day. Makes it so hard to plan anything. Even simple shopping trips or visits or cooking. Just about everything takes a lot of effort.

My daughter is having surgery tomorrow and she needs me to go to her house and get my grandson to school. It's going to be a 45 minute drive and I'm stressing over my ability to do it. But I want to help her.

Anyone feel like this or experience this kind of fatigue? Thanks
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I was like that

Up until a month and a half ago, I was sleepy all the time.

My neuro first Rx amantadine twice a day. It took the edge off for about 3 hours in the morning. Second dose did nothing

Switched to aderral once a day. Now I don't get sleepy until after 6pm.

However, this did not help the "loss of strength" fatigue after most physical activity. For example, I can only do about 30-45 minutes of yard before I need a long rest.

Best wishes,
    Bill C.

Comment

for whatever reason I seem to get tired at 1230 to 1 PM. Even if I get all night's sleep (10 PM to 6:30 AM) it still happens. I take modafinil for MS fatigue and it does not matter if I take it or not, it is all I can do to keep my eyes open.
      I also experience extreme fatigue when I am sick. It seems like all of my symptoms are magnified greatly.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but are you monitoring your vitamin D and B12 levels? If not, it could be as simple as that.

Immediately prior to my MS diagnosis, I was experiencing progressively worse fatigue including waking up and feeling tired as soon as I opened my eyes. After I started getting bloodwork out the wazoo leading up to my diagnosis, I discovered both my D and B12 levels were deficient. I boosted them both with aggressive supplementation and now my fatigue is basically normal for working full time in a stressful job, I feel.

You could also try supplements such as acetyl-l-carnitine and r-lipoic acid together, which I also take. I'm mostly interested in them for their ability to regenerate nerve damage, but some people take the combo to help fight fatigue also.

Comment

Originally posted by kw202 View Post
          Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but are you monitoring your vitamin D and B12 levels? If not, it could be as simple as that.

Immediately prior to my MS diagnosis, I was experiencing progressively worse fatigue including waking up and feeling tired as soon as I opened my eyes. After I started getting bloodwork out the wazoo leading up to my diagnosis, I discovered both my D and B12 levels were deficient. I boosted them both with aggressive supplementation and now my fatigue is basically normal for working full time in a stressful job, I feel.

You could also try supplements such as acetyl-l-carnitine and r-lipoic acid together, which I also take. I'm mostly interested in them for their ability to regenerate nerve damage, but some people take the combo to help fight fatigue also.

Thank you. I am low on Vit D. My B12 was good. So I'm taking my Vit D again. I had one neuro tell me I was anemic then another doctor ran all the blood work and said.. nope, not anemic. So who do I believe?
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
            Thank you. I am low on Vit D. My B12 was good. So I'm taking my Vit D again. I had one neuro tell me I was anemic then another doctor ran all the blood work and said.. nope, not anemic. So who do I believe?
            Do you have copies of your bloodwork? I would be curious to see your actual levels.

If you have MS, you should be supplementing your vitamin D daily. Vitamin D can be protective against relapses at the proper serum levels and it's really vital that people with MS maintain adequate levels.

Do not just trust your doctor to look at your labs and just tell you your levels are normal - ask for copies of your test results and look for yourself. They're your results. Don't be put off. Because many doctors don't understand what the protective therapeutic serum levels are for MS, as they are much higher than the official recommended levels. I would hope your neurologist would know this - but better to make sure yourself.

For people with MS, vitamin D should be maintained in the 80-90 ng/ml level. To maintain that, you'll need to supplement every day, depending on your weight and diet and sun exposure. Also make sure you are taking D3, not D2. On the bottle, it should say vitamin D as cholecalciferol - it is a more bioavailable form of D3 which means it's more easily absorbed by the body. If it's D2, it will say ergocalciferol. It won't hurt anything, but D3 is better to take.

Also, people exhibiting neurological symptoms (like us) should maintian their B12 serum levels around 1000 ng/ml, because B12 deficiency can cause MS-like symptoms (including lesions).

Do you know your levels of B12 and D?

When I was first diagnosed with MS my D levels were in the toilet (9.9 ng/ml), and as soon as I started aggressive supplementation, it was like someone turned a light on in my head. No more fatigue to speak of either, beyond what's appropriate for this modern life.

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
              for whatever reason I seem to get tired at 1230 to 1 PM. Even if I get all night's sleep (10 PM to 6:30 AM) it still happens. I take modafinil for MS fatigue and it does not matter if I take it or not, it is all I can do to keep my eyes open.
              I also experience extreme fatigue when I am sick. It seems like all of my symptoms are magnified greatly.
              I could have written your post! Exactly how I experience. Some days I make it to 2 pm. Bloodwork all good, so no deficiencies.

Also doesn't seem to matter what I do in the AM, whether exercise, chores, errands, reading, computer work, crafts, or nothing - it always hits.

C'est La Vie.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Fatigue is my 24/7 issue and was the number one MS symptom that led to the end of having gainful employment. Although it is constant, it is wicked bad in the morning and I also have that same 3:00 slump most everyone, even non-MSers, seem to be afflicted with.
                Tawanda

Comment

I am OK from 8 am to 2 pm, then my mental acuity rapidly goes downhill. In the morning I can do complex problem solving and planning, speech is fluid. After 2 my speech/word hunting gets much worse, I'm more error-prone, spelling is far more difficult, and I basically feel like 30 IQ points have been shaved off.

If I can sleep for an hour or so, I do mich better. But, I work full time so...yep. If I could work part-time, it would be wonderful--but we need my FT salary. I have a longer term plan to simplify budget, downsize lifestyle, etc. Argh! Why does MS have to happen during (supposed) peak earning years?! Dont even get me started on the crap wages still being offered by businesses and institutions...as if it's still peak recession.

Anyway, my fatigue is much worse in the afternoon and when it is hot.
                  RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

4:00 PM, but I can also crump at 8:30-9. When I drove I would sleep in my car during my lunch and then eat while I was working. Most awake early afternoon and 10-midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by jumangi View Post
                      However, this did not help the "loss of strength" fatigue after most physical activity. For example, I can only do about 30-45 minutes of yard before I need a long rest.
                      The "loss of strength" (neuromuscular fatigue) is what I experience too, after any physical activity.

How long I can move about on my feet (with rollator) before the fatigue sets in, depends on various factors.

On a real good day, I can be up on my feet and move about (with the rollator) for about 30 minutes before my entire body becomes exhausted and I just can't move another inch, necessitating a rest period.

But so far, I don't get "sleepy" tired during the daytime - guess I'm fortunate in that regard.
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Tired, not sleepy

Tired, not sleepy. Tired to do physical things (even something like sewing on the machine where you sit - Maybe I can do it but my brain feels tired thinking about it), but I don't nap.

I take provigil which really gives me more energy (I notice if I forget to take it) Also vitamins D and B's.

About the morning fatigue - I have a theory. This is kind of funny but I asked my neuro about my idea and he said "maybe" - (Probably was laughing at me ). All night I'm tucked in under my blankets. I wake up with my body much warmer than it is during the day. It's like I was outside on a summer day for 8 hours. The heat would be draining. Eight hours of sleep is eight hours in the sun. Tiring.

What do you think of my theory?
                        Dx 1/86 at age 23
                        Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
                        Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Originally posted by DonnaD View Post
                          About the morning fatigue - I have a theory. This is kind of funny but I asked my neuro about my idea and he said "maybe" - (Probably was laughing at me ). All night I'm tucked in under my blankets. I wake up with my body much warmer than it is during the day. It's like I was outside on a summer day for 8 hours. The heat would be draining. Eight hours of sleep is eight hours in the sun. Tiring.

What do you think of my theory?
                          Hi DonnaD

Yes! I have come to exactly the same conclusion about morning weakness/fatigue (for me).

Once I figured that out, (that when I got up in the morning, I was very warm from being covered all night) I started turning the thermostat down before bed, and drinking cold water upon arising.

I think for many of us, your theory makes sense!
                          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Your theory sounds practical and it may prove to be correct! I have spoken to my PT who said that it has been documented that a person with MS commonly finds that their fatigue is highest after showering or vacuuming. For those reasons, I avoid both of these activities. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                              ...a person with MS commonly finds that their fatigue is highest after showering or vacuuming. For those reasons, I avoid both of these activities.
                              I have no problem avoiding vacuuming, But Showering?? Use cooler water In the summer I actually shower more frequently just to cool off
                              Dx 1/86 at age 23
                              Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
                              Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Working...
                              X