Numb and Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numb and Pain?

Hey all. I'm curious -- the right half of my chest and back are numb. But not just numb, painful also. How can that be? Anyone ever have this? Also, I've had this for more than 24 hours, does that make it a flare?

Hi piper.tillie~

Sorry you are experiencing pain and numbness. According to the NMSS, "to be a true exacerbation, the attack must last at least 24 hours and be separated from the previous attack by at least 30 days. Most exacerbations last from a few days to several weeks or even months."

If this symptom has lasted over 24 hours, it sounds like you are in a flare. You will want to let your neuro know about this and possibly get an appt to see him/her.

I hope you are feeling better and this is short lived.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Numb + Pain

Pain with numbness is normal with me.

My right hand has been numb since Mar 2015. It occasionally becomes painful as well. Sometimes it is just a dull throb, and sometimes it just take slight pressure to make it feel like it is being crushed. Right now I has been pain-free for 2 weeks. Still numb.

Best wishes,
      Bill C.

Comment

Thank you both for your replies! Yes, I'm well past the 48 hour mark. Called the neuro today and he had me get bloodwork.

New question -- what about itching? Now I have the most insane itching "under" the numbness. Good grief is driving me nuts!!!

Comment

Itching too?

Originally posted by piper.tillie View Post
          Thank you both for your replies! Yes, I'm well past the 48 hour mark. Called the neuro today and he had me get bloodwork.

New question -- what about itching? Now I have the most insane itching "under" the numbness. Good grief is driving me nuts!!!

Oh yeah, got that too.

Thank goodness it wasn't too often or too intense.

The pain is more bearable for me. I could sleep with the pain, but the dang itching could wake me up, or annoy me during the day, screw with me while driving, etc, etc, etc...

Hopefully your exacerbation symptoms subside soon.

Best wishes,
          Bill C.

Comment

Numbness is it's own kind of special pain.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Sorry you have all three: pain, numbness, and itching.

I have had all three with right arm. It is no fun. Some of the nurses for my IV ( on Tysabri) could never understand why I feel pain, but yet, almost never feel the IV insertion in that arm. I look at is one good thing the numbness hepls with.

Good luck. Hope you feel better.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X