Speech problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech problems

Has anyone experienced a worsening of their speech when they become warm?

I went into a shop today, not realizing that I was a bit overheated, and they seriously must have thought I was a bit short of a six pack as I completely struggled to articulate what I was trying to say. I am on the tail end of a flare where I had 'inappropriate sinus tachycardia' and some problems with my speech.

?

Hello Poppy7402,

I don't remember if you have received a definite diagnosis of MS yet.

My speech issues are not based on being too warm, they are simply there regardless of temperature. Mine are best described by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

People with MS may also slur words. This is usually the result of weakness and/or incoordination of the muscles of the tongue, lips, cheeks and mouth.
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...eech-Disorders
    Hope you find answers for your difficulties.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I have never had this problem, although I definitely see how overheating could make all symptoms worse. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

Are you better after cooling down? I've heard that drinking cold water or putting a cool clothe on your neck helps with the cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        Hello Poppy7402,

I don't remember if you have received a definite diagnosis of MS yet.
        That's actually an interesting question. We had the opportunity to have my file reviewed in the US at a teaching hospital and their opinion was early MS. As for my local Neuro from a fairly small hospital - still on the fence. Every other thing known to man has been ruled out though.

I'm thinking this could be part of my fairly severe cognitive difficulties?

Comment

I have speech problems and I do necessarily have to be overheated. I don't slur my words but I become a broken record repeating, usually two words, over and over again. It becomes irritating for me but the people I'm with take it in stride.

I also have problems finding words. That to me is the most frustrating. This isn't a speech issue but recently I have started to lose my train of thought. I will be having a conversation with someone and just completely forget what I was talking about or saying. Very, very aggravating!!

So know you are definitely no alone.
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

speech

i,too, have speech problems (slurring, volume) but it is related to fatigue, not temperature. This is complicated by the fact that DH has hearing problems which he won't admit to. Makes conversations very difficult at times!

Comment

I have issues with speech as well which is annoying because I used to pride myself somewhat in being able to speak clear as a bell/have proper enunciation and all that. This (along with many many other symptoms) tends to be aggravated by fatigue. Heat is basically same but multiplied by 1,000. You're lucky if I'm not falling over and passing out in a pile of my own puke from the vertigo/nausea/muscle weakness/lack of sight (which would of course be while I couldn't manage to miss the puke while falling lol) Speech is much worse at those times as well, but in the grand scheme of things, the very least of my problems.

~Elly
              I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Working...
              X