Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lorazepam

Hello
    I'm looking for any information or feedback regarding the dispensing of Lorazepam (Ativan). I live in New York State and have had MS for almost 10 years now. One of the medications I need to take is 1mg. of lorazepam each evening before bed because of high anxiety or else I can't sleep.

It is classified as a schedule IV drug so it can only be dispensed for 30 days at a time. The problem is several months of the year have 31 days and the prescription can only be physically mailed to me and snail mail is not dependable. There may be several times a year when I go 2 or 3 days without the medication. Because of this withdrawal starts. My neurologist says there is nothing she can do.

I understand the need for tougher drug controls but when it's at the expense of patients that really need it, it's not right. Has anyone else run into this and is there really nothing a patient can do about it short of complaining to the state legislature.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I can't believe I just read this! I"m in Canada so not sure if this is applicable but I literally just got my neurologist to change the wording on the prescription label from "dispense on or after the 21 of the month" to "dispense every 30 days". This facilitates my renewal of the drug in months where there's 31 days... as we all know there's more months with 31 days than 30.

Is your rx labelled "every 30 days"? If so, it shouldn't matter if the month has 31 days as you would renew the drug every 30 days. If it's not, a simple change of wording on the label should look after it for you.

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

What if she changed the dosing instructions and also gave you maybe 5 extra pills per month. She could say something like "take 1-2 pills at bedtime."

That would technically still be 30 days worth and still gives you a little wiggle room for longer months. My doctor has done this for me with my narcotic pain pills for a similar reason.

Comment

I take Ativan. Your mail pharmacy should not let you go more than 30 days...might want to give them a call. My prescription comes in 2 days prior to me running out.

If that fails cut one of the pills in half and take half the dose for two days each month...that will leave you with an extra pill for those months that have 31. February has only 28/29 days so you will get a couple extra next month.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
        X