Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Symptom question for those with fibro - rock hard muscles without working out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptom question for those with fibro - rock hard muscles without working out!

Hi. I posted this in the fibro section, but I don't think there are too many people there, so I wanted to try somewhere else. I hope that's ok! Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I have this new symptom that is really bothering me and I'm looking for advice.

I was evaluated for ms, but my MRI was clear and I feel like a Fibro diagnosis might be coming. The neuro mentioned it as a possibility and I've developed much more pain recently. I started with mostly paresthesia and a few other things.

Anyway, can Fibro cause very hard, tight muscles that sometimes hurt and make walking difficult? The past few days the front of my thighs (quads?) have been tensing up like this for hours or all day. It was mostly the left, but now the right one has joined the party. Sometimes my left calf muscle and muscles in my left arm feel the same way and also twitch. My left side is where my latest episode of numbness/tingling was too. Is this spasticity and is it a Fibro symptom? Also, is hyperreflexia something that happens with Fibro too? Thanks!

Your symptoms: pains in the thighs and calves and hyperreflexia are NOT typical for fibromyalgia.

Officially, to be diagnosed with fibro, you need to have at least 10 symmetrical tender points at typical locations in the neck, around shoulder blades, in the lower back, hips, elbows or knees. Check some online picture.

Comment

Thanks. I have looked at those charts and i don't think I have those tender points. The more I read about it, the less I think it fits. I have no sleep issues and I'm tired in the afternoon, but not when I wake up. My pain is mostly my upper arms and thighs and seems more like spasticity. So, I continue to be confused! I have an appointment with my PCP next week. Besides ms, the only suggestion the neuro had was Fibro, but I think she was grasping at straws because she just doesn't know what's going on with me. Now I think "wait and see" is what my PCP will say!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilebug View Post
        Thanks. I have looked at those charts and i don't think I have those tender points. The more I read about it, the less I think it fits. I have no sleep issues and I'm tired in the afternoon, but not when I wake up. My pain is mostly my upper arms and thighs and seems more like spasticity. So, I continue to be confused! I have an appointment with my PCP next week. Besides ms, the only suggestion the neuro had was Fibro, but I think she was grasping at straws because she just doesn't know what's going on with me. Now I think "wait and see" is what my PCP will say!

Sorry you are going through such pain. Yes it sounds like spasticity. Have you seen a neuro for it? Maybe they can offer you meds like Baclofen or others to give you relief. You don't have to have a diagnosis to treat symptoms. And maybe PT would help too. I was given a Fibro diagnosis too for awhile. But it didn't matter, it needs to be treated. Good luck! Let us know what happened ok?
        Hugs Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
        X