Valtrex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valtrex

Since most of the MS medications either modulate or suppress the immune system I was wondering if any patients on this forum who have herpes are having more frequent outbreaks. If so are you taking Valtrex or any other antiviral to reduce the frequency of outbreaks. I find that 500mg daily of Valtrex helps reduce or eliminate the outbreaks.

Just curious if others are taking antiviral medications along with their MS medications.

I had to take it for two months after my Lemtrada infusions to keep from getting shingles. I had lots of issues with it. Mostly, it was dizziness, upset stomach, that sort of thing.

I hope it helps you. It seemed to do the trick for me. I didn't get shingles and I had no cold sores in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by rsinger View Post
      Since most of the MS medications either modulate or suppress the immune system I was wondering if any patients on this forum who have herpes are having more frequent outbreaks. If so are you taking Valtrex or any other antiviral to reduce the frequency of outbreaks. I find that 500mg daily of Valtrex helps reduce or eliminate the outbreaks.

Just curious if others are taking antiviral medications along with their MS medications.

I am taking 500 mg of Valtrex a day. In my case, I was taking it before I started Tysabri (or even knew I had MS)
      RRMS Dx: 3/23/15
      (Optic Neuritis Dx 2/27/15; Feb/2014 right leg numbness--at the time diagnosed as Sciatica, but probably first episode)
      Started Tysabri 5/22/15: (Infusions: 5/22/15, 6/18/15, 7/16/15)

Comment

No increase in outbreaks

Hi,

I have not noticed any increase in my outbreaks either prior to diagnosis or since starting treatment with Copaxone. I've have herpes since the mid 80's, and am down to about an outbreak/year.
        Melissa

Comment

I started taking 1000mg daily of Valtrex when I had my Lemtrada treatments in July 2015 and still take it - Dr said continue for 6-9 months'ish.

No issues so far.

Comment

Working...
          X