LASIK surgery anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LASIK surgery anyone?

This is the time of year when I notice a surge in weight-loss products, tourism in warm climate areas, and LASIK surgery commercials. I have to admit the LASIK is very tempting to me as I know (and advertisers know) that we consumers may soon be getting an income tax refund check. At first, I thought NO WAY, but now I am thinking, this procedure has been out for quite awhile now, so I am thinking that they must be getting pretty good at it...at least better.

I realize this subject has been batted around before on this site, but not in awhile. I am guessing there has been more progress in the eyeball arena over the past several years than in the MS arena. I am considering at least getting a free consult. I have asked my neuro and he was not for, or against. He, himself, chooses glasses (but mentioned he has a brother that got it done years ago and was ok as far as he knew). Any opinions fellow MSers? I cannot walk two feet without my glasses these days...
    Tawanda

I had Lasik about 8 years ago and love it. I had a relapse a short time afterwards, but it wasn't bad. I love not having to wear glasses. Many people in my family have had the procedure years ago. Granted, they don't have MS. It has improved my quality of life.

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
    This is the time of year when I notice a surge in weight-loss products, tourism in warm climate areas, and LASIK surgery commercials. I have to admit the LASIK is very tempting to me as I know (and advertisers know) that we consumers may soon be getting an income tax refund check. At first, I thought NO WAY, but now I am thinking, this procedure has been out for quite awhile now, so I am thinking that they must be getting pretty good at it...at least better.

I realize this subject has been batted around before on this site, but not in awhile. I am guessing there has been more progress in the eyeball arena over the past several years than in the MS arena. I am considering at least getting a free consult. I have asked my neuro and he was not for, or against. He, himself, chooses glasses (but mentioned he has a brother that got it done years ago and was ok as far as he knew). Any opinions fellow MSers? I cannot walk two feet without my glasses these days...

Comment

Originally posted by silent View Post
      I had Lasik about 8 years ago and love it. I had a relapse a short time afterwards, but it wasn't bad. I love not having to wear glasses. Many people in my family have had the procedure years ago. Granted, they don't have MS. It has improved my quality of life.
      Thanks for the reply. I am thinking the risk is the same with or without M.S., but who can know for sure? In any case, I have started to think it is getting to be time for a stronger eyeglass script., but perhaps I could at least opt for a Lasik consult beforehand.
      Tawanda

Comment

I had lasik surgery many years ago. Best thing that I've ever done for myself. I did have my first ever eye problem several months later. I was told in my case it was not related, who is to know.

I was allergic to 99% of eye glass material and super sensitive to having anything on my head/eye/ear that wearing the glasses was painful, so didn't del like I had a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
          I had lasik surgery many years ago. Best thing that I've ever done for myself. I did have my first ever eye problem several months later. I was told in my case it was not related, who is to know.

I was allergic to 99% of eye glass material and super sensitive to having anything on my head/eye/ear that wearing the glasses was painful, so didn't del like I had a choice.
          Hi Tia,
          I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the eye problem? You also say your FIRST eyeproblem which makes me think there are others...? Thanks!
          Tawanda

Comment

Hi Tawanda,

Several weeks after I had lasik, I had iritis which is inflammation of the front of the eye (the iris) It was incredible painful (ice pick pain) and my eye was super sensitive to light (ice pick) it was quickly brought under control with steroid drops, pain drops and dilation drops. Relief started within several hours on the right treatment. And there is no doubt that you need treatment when that pain comes.

I have a form of arthritis that is associated with this condition and is why I was told that the lasik surgery did not cause it. I have had recurrent bouts maybe 5 or 6 times including several weeks ago.

However, I am extremely happy with my surgery, which was easy and the results great. I have recommended it to others that had problems wearing glasses and I much prefer it to contacts.

I had my surgery done more than ten years ago, btw.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Comment

I had lasik about 8 years ago, it has been great. My astigmatism was so bad I couldn't wear contacts and I couldn't see without glasses either.

Recently my eyesight has started to get worse and worse, but I think that is a normal part of the aging process - I'm in my 40's. I didn't have any MS related repercussions at the time. Hope that helps.

Comment

I had LASIK in 1999 at age 24, and had great results. I am currently having some vision issues, but they are not related to the procedure. I went to a very experienced MD--chair of eye surgery at a good hospital (not a 2-for-1 clinic.) I would only go to a MD who has done many, many surgeries. I had astigmatism in both eyes and was fairly nearsighted.
                RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Best thing ever for me!

I got it done 8 years ago. I used to wear contacts everyday. Since then, my MS has gotten worse. My hands don't work as well as the used to. I'm glad I no longer have to deal with contact or glasses.
                  Stacey

Comment

Thanks you for your responses. I guess the next step is get a consult and see if I am even a candidate for such surgery! If not, maybe I will get some eyeliner tattooed on my upper lids so people know I have eyes underneath these coke bottle monstrosities! I feel like I look like a dude. And an ugly dude at that! They always say that your vanity is the last thing to go....

Again, thanks.
                    Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                    X