Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Please ADA accommodation do I need a doctors signature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Please ADA accommodation do I need a doctors signature?

I am in the state of Texas, can I request accommodations or does there have to be a Dr signature?

I can not do overnight on call 10pm to 6am because I can not sleep without ambein. So I can't wake up and drive at 2am.

The ambien was given directly related to my MS diagnosis and medications given at that time. I do have intermittent absence paperwork for FMLA in place.

I need help rather fast. Thanks

Requesting and obtaining reasonable accommodations is a negotiation between you and your employer. Your employer may honor your oral/written requests or ask for medical information about your disability or limitations. In this case a doctor's note may be required outlining what specific limitations are being requested (not to lift over 20 lbs, 2 extra 15 minute breaks or whatever). If your employer is already aware of your disability the process is normally easier and a doctor's note is often unnecessary. So while a doctor's note is not a requirement it may help speed up the process or make approving your request easier. Even your family doctor should be well-acquainted with what information is appropriate. Physical therapist also are familiar with the process and can be helpful in many circumstances.

When I got my accommodations my diagnosis was already known by senior management so a doctor's signature was not required. Since my neurologist wanted very specific limitations she wrote her orders on a prescription pad and that sufficed.

Do you know what accommodations you will be requesting?
    Do you have a medical professional that will support your request?
    Do you have to make the request tomorrow or do you have time to visit a doctor?

For this, you could possible even fax the request to your neurologist or family doctor for signature. My suggestion would be to go in with your BEST case from the start and give them every reason to approve your requests.

I wish you well ...

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post

Do you know what accommodations you will be requesting? Yes
      Do you have a medical professional that will support your request? Yes
      Do you have to make the request tomorrow or do you have time to visit a doctor? Yes

For this, you could possible even fax the request to your neurologist or family doctor for signature. My suggestion would be to go in with your BEST case from the start and give them every reason to approve your requests.

I wish you well ...
      All paperwork has been done, Dr signed and submitted with a supervisor and HR meeting next week.

I did launch a communication/ respect claim against my manager. Because I have spent some time in my HR department lobby I came across information that this company did not condone such behavior.

I had made reference to this managers unprofessional behavior at the end of Nomember in a employee satisfaction survey. This current situation took place December 15. I know for a fact that the November survey results were not Availible before the December occurance so I have had two reportable events with her.

She has been very pleasant and has not approached me with a 10 foot pole.

Seeing as I have been with this company for 14 years, I have seen my supervisor( she has been with the company close to 20 years) put a target on coworkers backs and they found some way to terminate those people within 4 to 6 months.
      The manager started with this company right around the time of my MS episode and diagnosis in July 2013.

This has all been very stressful bring on MS related speech issues that I experienced at the onset of my diagnosis.

I reported all details to HR in a 5 page account with supporting documents gave it to Jesus and I'm moving on. This really was all consuming. Done.

Thanks for your advise.

Gods good grace.

Comment

Working...
      X