NEED SOME ADVICE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED SOME ADVICE!

A couple of months a posed a question about a job interview and should I use my rollator or not. The consesus was use my rollator. Well come to find out it was not an interview it was the VA assisting Veterans in applying for Federal jobs. How I got that confused I don't know.

Now on Monday I have an interview for an Executive level position with a major corporation. So now I pose the same question. I can use my cane and be comfortable but at some time I will have to use my rollator at work should I be hired.

Currently in leaning towards using my cane which I'm certain will lead to a question of why are you using a cane? At which point I would be open and honest. But if I were to do that why not just use my rollator. I am going back and forth on this and about go out of my mind.

Please give me some advice on this. I really want to land this position so I want to handle it right. My MS has progressed to a point where I couldn't hide if I were an illusionist. Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback given.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Wow, Way~ good luck with the interview!! I remember your post posing this same question, and I'm giving you my same answer - bring your rollator if you get hired. Better yet, and this is what I do, bring both! I lay my cane over the handle bars on the rollator for easier carrying and use whichever one I need depending...

If you have a desk job, have both handy and use either one according to circumstances and ability to keep safely mobile.

Again, good luck and keep us up to date
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Congrats on the interview. If you use your rollator now not of the time, I would use that. The last thing you want is to have an accident/fall. I would think the rollator would give you more confidence.

No one should ask why you are using a cane or rollator. If they do, and you give an answer, it could potentially leave them open to a lawsuit related to ADA. Most medium sized to large sized companies tell employees they can not ask questions like that. I know my prior companies, HR drilled that into all levels of employees.

Good luck.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
        Now on Monday I have an interview for an Executive level position with a major corporation.
        During the application process, did you identify yourself as having a disability?

Last year, during my job hunt, I filled out dozens of online applications with large and small companies. EVERY one of the online applications was set up to require the applicant to self-declare whether they were disabled and whether they were a protected veteran. The application wouldn't be sent forward if the person didn't make a declaration one way or the other.

How did you get through the application process and and snag an interview without having self-identified as having a disability?

I think it's an obvious question, because if you already self-identified as having a disability, the interviewer would already be somewhat expecting to see some kind of aid or mobility device, and it might not make much difference which you show up with.

But if you haven't, it might explain why you're concerned about having to explain using a cane (which, as has been pointed out, you shouldn't be asked but still might be, and trying to explain it at an interview for the first time might be too late).

HARSH REALITY WARNING -- if you didn't self-identify as having a disability (or even as being a protected veteran), it probably does matter whether you show up with a cane vs. a rollator. And it pays to bear in mind that the people who encouraged you to go one way or the other last time were not people who were/are actively interviewing in the current job market.

So, in keeping with your desire to win an "Executive level" position, you'll have to assess all of the available information and make an "Executive level" decision yourself -- like you'll have to at work -- about what you should do.

Remember, your only job now is to get hired. Whether you might use a rollator at work later is IRRELEVANT NOW. You'll get only one chance to impress your interviewer. Pay attention to that.

Comment

am I naive?

Would it not be okay to say, yes I use a rollator, and at times I use a cane, but here is what I can do on this job.... here is why I am perfect for this job. My skills are..... and those skills are not affected because my legs are not always strong enough.

Again, maybe I am being naive.... but would that attitude and openness be welcomed by an employer?
          You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

WDS

If you make a big deal out of your cane...then your prospective employer will as well.

Walk in with your cane like you own the place. Be confident. They should not ask why. People use canes and rollators for all sorts of reasons.

Good Luck with the interview...I hope it goes well.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Jreagan makes some good points.

But I find it confusing and distressing that an application would ask if you are disabled. Do they provide a definition? Is that defined as needing an accommodation? Or is that you are currently on SSDI and trying to come back into the workforce? Or is it strictly related to veterans, eligible for VA disability compensation? Or what?

I know my last. Employer was making an effort to hire veterans. But their application never asked about disability, only if you were a veteran.

I don't have enough knowledge to comment if related to a veterans only process.

My comments were strictly about safety. I know wayward has had progression and issues with falls. In my opinion, if you use a rollator and use it with confidence, demonstrate that it has nothing to do with your ability to do an executive level job. If you use a cane that you don't use often, you may appear hesitant.

I do agree the first priority is getting your foot in the door. And yes, harsh reality is that while cane/rollator shouldn't matter, it often does. So regardless of what you use, you need to display with confidence your ability to do the job.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Jreagon70 and zilphia01

Jreagan01, there was no application to fill out. The found me by my resume. When the recruiter called that's all she talked about was my resume so I didn't have to disclose anything. But you made some good points. Had been asked those questions I would have answered them honestly. I am both disabled by virtue of MS and also a disabled Veteran.

zilphia01, your thoughts are exactly what I have been thinking. So I don't believe you are being naive.
                Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

Own it

Use your cane or rolater and walk in with confidence...you know you can do the job and then tell them why.

As for why employers as candidates for this type of data - that answer is simple. If an employer is a federal contractor, they are required to complete Affirmative Action plans. Those plans require data on every applicant that comes through the door, including their ethnicity/race, gender, disability and veteran status.

I can tell you that as HR for many of these types of employers, the data is kept completely separately and is not even used until it's time to do the AAP plan each year. By that point, all applicants are just a number to report.

I never looked at that information in regards to an applicant - to me it was always about their qualifications and ability to do the job.

Hope this helps
                  Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

Thank you al very much for the input. I now feel much more comfortable about walking in there with my rollator. "If" they as why I am using the rollator, which from I understand they shouldn't, I'll just tell them. I assure them in will in no way affect my job performance and has nothing to do with my abilities which attracted you to me in the first place.

Babe Ruth

Comment

Hi waydwnsouth1. I agree with using whatever you are comfortable with and what your need is on the day of the interview. Go into the interview and let them know why you are the best candidate for position and what you have to offer the company. I hope if you do that, the cane and/or rolater will become invisible to the interviewer and they will only see your talents and job capabilities. Please let us know how the interview went and let us know when you get this job so we can celebrate with you! Wishing you lots of luck! Go get em!!!!!
                      RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
                      Assistive Device: cane.
                      Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Comment

UPDATE ON INTERVIEW

I showed up about 15 minute early and walked in the place with my rollator like I owned the place. I made it point to shake hands and introduce myself to everyone I came across.

I told the receptionist I was there to see so & so for a 2:00 interview. She said have a seat he will be right with you. A few moments later the lobby started to become packed with other prospects for other jobs.

I'll spare you all the details but the long and short of it is the guy I was supposed to interview with wasn't even in town. I asked the lady why somebody didn't call me and tell me. So I left. Yesterday he had the audacity to call me ask me why I left. Then went into a 20 minute explanation of his interview process. I asked him how he could interview anyone if he wasn't even there. It was obvious he wanted me to ask for another appointment but that wasn't going to happen.

Babe Ruth

Comment

So sorry

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I was really hoping that this was going to be a really positive experience for you and I'm sorry it wasn't. I am really glad you went in there with the rolater like you owned the place. Take that confidence to the next interview and knock their socks off. Whoever this person was who blew you off doesn't know what they just missed out on. Please try not be discouraged. Brush this off and go into the next interview with that same determination and confidence! Wishing you a tons of luck!! Keep us posted please!!
                          RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
                          Assistive Device: cane.
                          Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Comment

Working...
                          X