Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I Have Lhermitte's Sign, MS or Nasal Spray Neurological Damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I Have Lhermitte's Sign, MS or Nasal Spray Neurological Damage?

Hi Everyone,
    This is a weird situation but I'll try to make it as short as possible:
    I've had a nasal spray "dependance" for around 25 years. My sinuses have always just gotten extremely clogged and only nasal spray gave me relief. Everything was fine up until about 3 months ago when the brand I had used for years stopped working. I switched to another brand (both CVS, but different ingredients).
    Immediately this new one burned my nose. Over the course of about 6 weeks I had to use it more and more and more for it to work. I began having real bad head pain, jaw pain, tooth and gum pain. I didn't connect it w/ the spray and went to the Dentist thinking I was having tooth/gum issues. I wasn't, so I figured it must be the nasal spray and I paid close attention and realized everytime I used it I'd get these bad pains I described. So I stopped using it, my nasal condition strangely got better and now I use my old CVS brand one just like twice a day.
    In the meantime over the past few months I'd developed the exact symptoms of Lhermitte's Sign: I just finally googled my symptoms a few days ago (not the facial pain, but the numb/tingling left hand, then arm, then the electric shocks down my neck/back/leg when I look down) and it said it was Lhermitte's.
    I made an appointment with a Neurologist but couldn't get one w/ her until Feb 24th. So now I'm a bit horrified... do I have MS? I read it could be a lot of things, but also that something like 2/3 of MS patients will get Lher. Sign.

So, does anyone know if nasal spray can cause neurological damage that will mimic Lhermitte's? I googled everything about it and got no info that it can.
    Is Lhermitte's usually that common for MS patients, like the web says? I'd like to think I don't have that or MS but I don't know what else I could be dealing with now.

Thanks for reading and thanks if you have any opinions or info.

Hello brama10 and welcome to MSWorld.

Lhermittes: Bending your head down (chin to chest) will cause abnormal sensations from the spine down (vibrations/buzzing, electrical shock, tingling). These sensations will only last seconds but can be repeated each time the head is bending down.

If your sensations are not lasting seconds then you are not experiencing Lhermittes.

There is no symptom exclusive to Multiple Sclerosis and that includes Lhermittes sign. All other causes would need to be ruled out. When related to MS, Lhermiites is caused by lesions on the cervical spine.

You might make an appointment with your Primary Care Physician(PCP) to rule out some other causes (B-12 deficiency, mechanical back problems, and others) for your symptoms. Your PCP could also answer the questions and concerns about the use of nasal sprays.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
      Hello brama10 and welcome to MSWorld.

Lhermittes: Bending your head down (chin to chest) will cause abnormal sensations from the spine down (vibrations/buzzing, electrical shock, tingling). These sensations will only last seconds but can be repeated each time the head is bending down.

If your sensations are not lasting seconds then you are not experiencing Lhermittes.

There is no symptom exclusive to Multiple Sclerosis and that includes Lhermittes sign. All other causes would need to be ruled out. When related to MS, Lhermiites is caused by lesions on the cervical spine.

You might make an appointment with your Primary Care Physician(PCP) to rule out some other causes (B-12 deficiency, mechanical back problems, and others) for your symptoms. Your PCP could also answer the questions and concerns about the use of nasal sprays.
      Hi Snoopy, thanks so much for the reply.
      Since I read your reply earlier I've been trying to keep track of how long I do feel the vibrations/buzzing, electrical shock, tingling down my neck/spine shoulder and sort of left buttock and leg. Each time I bend my head down the sensations last for approximately 3 seconds. Then it stops but occurs each subsequent time I bend my head down.
      I don't know if that's enough seconds to be Lhermitte's Sign though.

I actually don't have a PCP right now, but I do take a vitamins, like B-12, B-5 (I believe) D3 and multi.
      I guess I'll just have to wait for Feb 24 when I see the Neurologist to find anything out.

Comment

Hi brama10,

My comment about the length of time you feel the sensations was probably not very clear and I do apologize.

If you bend your head down and you only notice the sensations for seconds (no counting is necessary) and it can be repeated each time you bend your head down then it is more than likely Lhermittes. If the sensations last long periods of time then it wouldn't be Lhermittes.

Have patience and see what the Neurologist has to say on Feb. 24. But, keep in mind there are other reasons for Lhermittes.

Best wishes
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi brama10. Welcome.

L'Hermites, as you described it, was what led to my diagnosis. With that being said, they had to rule out the mimics of MS. So MRIs, bloodwork, full medical history was needed. Basically, things had to be excluded before MS could be the answer.

It may take a few months to get through, and even then, it could be wait/watch to see if anything else occurs. I would try your best to not worry and stress, as worrying won't change a thing. Easier said than done. Live your life as normally as you can.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks so much Kathy. I tend to over worry about everything anyway so yeah, I will try to not get crazy before need be (if that need ever occurs with y'all. ).

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Hi brama10. Welcome.

L'Hermites, as you described it, was what led to my diagnosis. With that being said, they had to rule out the mimics of MS. So MRIs, bloodwork, full medical history was needed. Basically, things had to be excluded before MS could be the answer.

It may take a few months to get through, and even then, it could be wait/watch to see if anything else occurs. I would try your best to not worry and stress, as worrying won't change a thing. Easier said than done. Live your life as normally as you can.

Comment

Working...
            X