Lose drivers license???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lose drivers license???

Help. I am terrified of losing my drivers license. I am about to get a psych evaluation on my memory because I am having cognitive issues and am applying for ss disability. Has anyone heard of the evaluator taking away your drivers license?
    Florida ~ MS Diag. 1998 with optic neuritis.

I don't think you would lose your liscnse, unless your memory issues are affecting your ability to drive. If you frequently get lost in local roads, if not sure what street signs are, or rules of the road, or frequent accidents. If it is apparent that you can not safely operate a vehicle.

I have had multiple neuropsychs, my license was never an issue. I have even had a few episodes that I self reported like not recognizing a local road or running a stop sign. Since it was the exception, and occurred on bad days, I no longer drive if bad day or too tired.

My brother has also had multiple tests due to traumatic brain injury from multiple concussions. While he has lots of memory issues, he can still drive.

Doctors don't like to take liscenses unless absolutely necessary and/,or you have no plan to adapt to your limitations. At worst, if not sure, they may want you to take a refresher and get retested. They know driving provides some independence.

I lost it once, but only when I had blacked out and had episode of confusion that lasted 30 minutes. They needed to see if seizure, stroke, other cause. It never reoccurred, no cause found, and I was able to get my license back in 6 months.

Good luck with your tests.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Sorry you are going through this scare. Not sure a psychologist can take your license away. It would take her findings and your Neuro's evaluation. You are not losing consciousness? Or losing periods of time are you?
      So not sure you have enough criteria unless there is more then your memory issues.
      Hang in there until you know.
      Let us know how you are doing hon.'

Hugs, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I have read that neuropsych's do tests that determine if you should be driving and an MS website talked about memory issues and loss of drivers license. Thankfully, I have never had any issues with driving. I am very alert and aware...I really only drive around town anyway...

Thank you so much for responding. You guys did make me feel better. Hopefully it is not even on his radar and I am just being paranoid...as usual. 😞

Comment

I am concerned as to why you are concerned. Are you having doubts in your driving ability? Is anyone who drives with you doubting your ability? It is pretty hard to get your license revoked unless you have had some kind of vehicular criminal charge (such as a DUI). In most cases, it's a personal or family decision to stop driving.

As a person with MS, it feels like we have to deal with the same issues as the elderly long before we should have to! My father was driving way past his expiration date and I will not make the same mistake...
          Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
            As a person with MS, it feels like we have to deal with the same issues as the elderly long before we should have to! My father was driving way past his expiration date and I will not make the same mistake...
            How true...premature aging. I agree too, will not make the same mistake. If I no longer want to drive or people question my ability, then I stop. I couldn't live with myself if I hurt anyone, knowing I should not drive.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I was admitted to the hospital, 3years ago, because I had an UTI that made disoriented and caused my legs to fail me. The attending doctor saw that I couldn't trust my legs and my strength was compromised. She suggested to my wife that I should not drive and turn in my license to the DMV. My wife hounded me until I gave up my license and sold my car. It took 14 months to get my license back after I went to the local rehab hospital and paid for 'assistive device' driving lessons. Now, I own a used 'clunker' with a 'push-pull' lever system ! It's been a tough couple of years but I will fight like heck to continue living my life.

Comment

Last summer I was driving for 3 hours in a complete blackout state. According to witnesses, I was driving recklessly. This was a terrible shock because I've never driven recklessly before.

When I was discharged from the hospital, it was a miracle that I wasn't arrested, my car wasn't impounded and no one considered taking away my license. The police regarded the incident as a medical issue only.

So, in your situation, I wouldn't worry. If you don't feel up to driving, take someone with you who can take over at the wheel if you are getting lost or doing anything unsafe. That's what I do now.

Comment

Reporting a Driver in FL

According to the FL Dept. of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles anyone can report an unsafe driver to them. It could be a doctor, family member or even a neighbor. All they need to do is file Form 72190 - Medical Reporting Form. On the form the person filing is asked to check a box with the type of disability being reported. One of the choices Is "dementia/memory defects." Before a license can be revoked a hearing would have to be held.

It does sound like you are having doubts about your fitness to drive. I know that it is a really big deal to acknowledge there is an issue and give up the independence that driving brings. Please just be realistic and think hard about this before you or someone else gets hurt. To say "I really only drive around town anyway" is enough driving to get hurt or hurt others.

Comment

I am really ok driving. I do not get lost or anything. If it is a new location, I use the electronic driving direction thingy...see, my issue is stuff like not remembering right now what that device is called : / it will come to me later. Thankfully I do not have dementia or anything like that, I just have trouble recalling stuff. My friends and family call them senior moments and that everyone has them but I always think everything is MS and figured the psych evaluation could help my ss disability claim...not even sure what my results will be...Another problem I have is getting a thought in my head and not being able to let it go...which is why I posed this question.

I promise, I would not drive if I think I was unsafe. I was just being paranoid because my neighbor got her license taken away recently for loss of pereferial vision. Her doctor never mentioned a thing and she found out from the dmv and not him. It is ok that she got it taken away but I think he should have told her himself...

Comment

Originally posted by pummers View Post
                      I am really ok driving. I do not get lost or anything. If it is a new location, I use the electronic driving direction thingy...see, my issue is stuff like not remembering right now what that device is called : / it will come to me later. Thankfully I do not have dementia or anything like that, I just have trouble recalling stuff. My friends and family call them senior moments and that everyone has them but I always think everything is MS and figured the psych evaluation could help my ss disability claim...not even sure what my results will be...Another problem I have is getting a thought in my head and not being able to let it go...which is why I posed this question.

I promise, I would not drive if I think I was unsafe. I was just being paranoid because my neighbor got her license taken away recently for loss of pereferial vision. Her doctor never mentioned a thing and she found out from the dmv and not him. It is ok that she got it taken away but I think he should have told her himself...
                      Yes, the prospect of no wheels is a daunting possibility. I go nuts when I'm grounded because my car is in the shop. Her in New England we are big on Norman Rockwell. One of his most famous works is, "The Four Freedoms" (freedom of speech, of worship and freedom from want and fear). He probably could have added "freedom to drive" as a 5th one, but I will continue to monitor and evaluate my driving ability on a daily basis just the same. Now with MS, I have to deal with aging as well.

I also know that there is such a thing as driving overly slow and careful to the point you are leaving the accidents behind you! My husband tells the story how he as driving for miles behind "some idiot" like that, and once he got a look at the passenger, it turned out to be his own grandmother!

The good news is pretty soon cars will be driving themselves. That would probably bum me out if I was younger and healthier, but I am all for it now!
                      Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                      X