Getting ready to start Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to start Tecfidera

My last Copaxone injection is tomorrow and I'm excited. After 2 years of injections, my body can't take any more. I'm bruised, sore and have sensitive areas from the fat breaking down where I can no longer inject. I was very good about massaging the areas 24 hours after injecting too. I've heard there are some nasty side effects with Tecfidera but of course like any other medication, it doesn't mean that will happen to me.

I just hope that if I do have any GI issues it's on in the first few weeks and then I'm good to go. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to deal with the flushing issues? Is it just like a hot flash? Does it last very long? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you and Happy New Year

My experience

I have been on Tecfidera for 1.5 years. Never had any other issues then the "flushing." And, for me it it is just a feeling of warmth. I still sometimes a feeling of warmth. But, that is a good thing in this winter. Taking an aspirin with it can minimize this. This can be a baby aspirin and for most people two baby asprins a day is not to much, but, check with your doctor. During the hot summer I make sure that I am resting in front of fan and a/c is on. Or, I am in the coolness of the pool.

Take the Tecfidera with a balanced meal, meaning at least a protein and a fat. This can be healthy. Remember healthy fat options (such as avacodos or nuts.)

Drink plenty of water before and after to flush any additives out of you.

Most people report a fading of sides. I rarely notice the "flushing" (feeling of warmth for me) if I am busy or distracted. This is harder in the summer time when it is really hot. Hence the sitting in front of a fan is the plan. Usually lasts about a 1/2 hour for me and that is what I have read and heard from others.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I started Tec in late October/early November, so it's been approximately 2 months now.

I'm on an extended/delayed 'starter' dosage due to side effects. Even with the heavier diet (heavy diet for me) to address GI issues, I continue to experience constant mild nausea.

Initially the flushing caused a bright red glow with irritation to my facial skin, sensitive to the touch. Aspirin eliminated the flushing entirely, and now at 2 months I no longer use aspirin and experience an occasional warm feeling, but totally manageable.

I also experience a vision side effect, blinding photosensitivity, which is apparently an atypical side effect, but one that I experience daily which seems to vary in intensity. Also mild cognitive changes that haven't improved.

You may want to discuss the option of extending your starter dosage if side effects become unmanageable, or don't improve. Two months into Tec my dosage is 120mgs day time dose and 240mgs in the evening. I do notice improvement in all side effects on the lower dose and as my tolerance has improved over time.

Hope your Tec experience is free of side effects and best of luck.

Comment

Hi ktlaw,

I have been on tec. for 2.5 yrs., at first my only side effect was mild stomach ache that eventually stopped. After 2 yrs. I started flushing and itching mostly if I don't eat anything before. I take benedryl because of the itching. Dr. said baby aspirin would help the flushing.

I wish you well and Happy New Year.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Tecfidera

ktlaw,

I've been on Tecfidera almost 2 years. Never had any unusual GI problems other than my normal IBS.
          Slight flushing from time to time but not bad. I do take probiotics daily for my IBS. I would recommend probiotics and maybe aspirin at the beginning. Don't use the enteric coated aspirin because it delays the onset of the benefits of the aspirin.

So far I have been happy with this medication. Are you JC Virus positive? I am like many others on this site. I get CBC every 3 months to make sure WBC is normal.

Overall a very good medication

Comment

What I've learned

Hi. I've been on Tecfidera since August (diagnosed with MS in July).

I was on 120mb twice a day for a month and then went to 240mb twice a day.

You must have a full stomach when you take the meds or you will feel it! Suggested foods: Peanut butter, greek yogurt, cheese and butter. I as on a low fat diet, but upped the fat level the first 2 months. I also found that I needed to rework my overall diet as I found myself sensitive to spicy foods (especially hot peppers). I've been able to lower the fat and eat some peppers but need to go with what your stomach tells you.

I have had intermittent flushing. Some times I have flushed from my head to my shoulders. First indicator for me is that my ears start tingling. A bad flush looks like I've been sunburned. The longest flush lasted an hour.

I also put on 12 pounds the first month which thankfully is now gone. Expect bloating. I also felt upper stomach cramps that felt like hands grabbing the upper stomach just at the start of the ribs. Odd feeling but that went away too.

My first episode that caused me to go to the hospital/get diagnosed was numbness in my face. The 1st month on Tecfidera I had many sensations in my head that moved around lasting about 3 days in a time. The good news is that my vision improved greatly and my thinking ability came back (didn't even know it was gone until it came back).

Best of luck!
            Dawn

Comment

Been on tec for almost 3 yrs.
              take a baby aspirin before or with each dose. Eat before or with each dose. First day flushing was awful...like a bad sunburn that itched. After that it was minimal ESP once I learned about eating and aspirin. I once went off it for a few weeks per dr orders so I had to go through symptoms again once restarted. After a few weeks or month I rarely get any flushing or itching and if I do it's minimal....way better than any shot issues. I never had GI issues. I do sometimes get a dry cough 2-4 hrs after taking for a short while.
              Carrie

Comment

Been on Tecfidera for approx two years. I still was surprised that I didn't have gastro problems since I take medication for IBS. But maybe that's why I don't have gastro side affects. The only side affect I experience is an overly runny nose. A slight nuisance for a short period.

I want to wish you good luck with Tecfidera. I hope you tolerate it well.

Comment

Working...
                X