ActUp MS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ActUp MS!

There are two GLARING issues here with MS that I see. One is that the figure of 400,000 is grossly underrepresented for the number of actual cases in the U.S. This was commented on at the annual MS Society dinner in Philadelphia by a neurologist who stated that the number of cases of successful disability claims for MS far eclipsed 400K. We need to get accurate figures so that more funding can be allocated to R&D as well as social services. Of course, not everyone with MS is on SSDI, so the numbers are probably even higher!

During the AIDS crisis people took to the streets, demanding that drugs be expedited down the pipeline. They got what they wanted, and now their lifespans are almost that of those who have never been exposed to HIV. Marti Nelson used their paradigm to try to gain access to the hormone positive-based breast cancer drug Her-2. She died six days before she was granted her request. Consider the below, a durable one-time treatment that *reverses* disability! We all deserve access to drugs and treatments that can improve our quality of life. The public perception is that you can live with it. My CPA literally said this to me. Is this living, not being able to enjoy sex or use the toilet well or think or speak articulately or run? If you can prop yourself up it's Hallelujah, but NO, we are all circling the drain inside and after ten years many of us will be SPMS and it will be TOO LATE. I know what my QoL was before and it enrages me that people tell me I am fine.

Are you excited by Ocrelizumab? I'm not! Another expensive, immune modulating (*cough cough* suppressing) drug that tethers you to an IV, too risky for the RA crowd to take but justified for us because we can't get a brain/spine replacement. Same level of relapse reduction as DF. Speaking of which, we already gamble with PML, liver damage, and cancer day in and out with these drugs. The patient outcry over Tysabri should put everyone on notice that we are not a risk-adverse group, and that this disease really sucks!

We need more ads with people trapped in filth covered Lucite boxes, screaming and pounding in the dark, after which the camera pans out to a woman immobile in a wheelchair. You don't like it Australia, well too bad, you should try living it! I watched an interview with Annette Funicello two days ago from 1995. She said, "I'm not worried about it because a cure is right around the corner." On the sidebar were videos with her twenty years later, dying from it. This isn't a job for positive thinking, this is a job for action. If you don't have the energy, certainly the people around you who love you and who miss having all of you there will want to fight. The CDC/NMSS should get a new data set, and as the article below says that some are granted access to this one-time treatment on a compassionate basis, we are all deserving of compassion!

http://www.healthline.com/health-new...ility-012215#1

Thank you for your passionate post and the excellent article and HSCT.

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
    Are you excited by Ocrelizumab? I'm not! Another expensive, immune modulating (*cough cough* suppressing) drug that tethers you to an IV, too risky for the RA crowd to take but justified for us because we can't get a brain/spine replacement. Same level of relapse reduction as DF. Speaking of which, we already gamble with PML, liver damage, and cancer day in and out with these drugs. The patient outcry over Tysabri should put everyone on notice that we are not a risk-adverse group, and that this disease really sucks!
    I was excited (as it is touted as first PPMS treatment) until I did some researching on a few biotech sites and learned about how it was originally for Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis, but was far too risky with serious and opportunistic infections. But for persons with MS, well it's a viable option since the precedent for serious infections/cancers is an acceptable risk.

Maybe they've altered it since the earlier trials, and it is now safer to take? My poor body can't take much more assault than the MS has already given it.

I wonder why HSCT is not effective for PPMS, as stated in the article??
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Out of all the stores I have travelled through recently asking me at the check-out register if I want to donate additional money to charity X, Y or Z, not one of these charities has been M.S. I even got asked to donate to the Olympics (no offense to any fledgling Olympians out there, btw)!

As annoying and "in your face" as some of those billions of bell ringers are (and was it my imagination or were they even more aggressive than usual this year?) at least the Salvation Army is getting it done! MS remains the charity the "Season of Giving" forgot!

I was just telling my sister that in my opinion, the only way there will be a cure for MS is if a cure for a more popular disease is found and it just so "happens" to also work on people with MS! In other words, by some happy accident!
      Tawanda

Comment

I agree with you, dyin_myelin! Wholeheartedly !! In the last month, I have been emailing the NMSS about the lack of detailed coverage for stem cell replacement therapies that have been in clinical trials for approx. 10 years or so. We, MSers, have been poorly underserved and given a lot of 'lip service' ! I am happy to read your criticisms and expressions of disgust of the system!

Comment

first let me state that I have both diabetes and MS and I know that stem cell research has been making headlines ( and raising our hopes) four at least 20 years and nothing has come of it. We are worth more "uncured" than we are cured because once we are rid of the disease, the large pharmaceutical companies are not getting our $60,000 a year.
          I have been holding my breath for 44 years for a cure for diabetes, and they are still searching for it ( hello, really [very very cynical]). We can do all sorts of amazing things, but cannot get a cure for any diseases that generate a large amount of money to various companies. does anyone smell something fishy?
          this is only my opinion, and this is something that is of particular interest to me, so forgive me if I seem a bit cynical, it has only been 44 years that I have been hearing about "miracle cures".
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Nah, can't really live with it, for much longer.

I can't walk; I have no job; I can't cook, clean or hang out the washing. I'm going to have to surrender my drivers license.
            Can't even lurch into the chemist
            (drugstore) anymore to collect my drugs.

I keep asking myself what is the point.
            There must be one.
            Next season of The Walking Dead. That'll get me through to February.

MS, it's too slow. If it was quicker there might be more fuss. But,oh no, you've got 15+ years if you're lucky.
            No need to panic.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
              MS, it's too slow. If it was quicker there might be more fuss. But,oh no, you've got 15+ years if you're lucky.
              No need to panic.

100++% agree!!
              Karen

Comment

They have us over a barrel. Can't complain, or you're not being sufficiently "positive".
                Can't complain, when you are fit for the fight; gets too late in the day.

And there are some people who are still okay after 20 years, so, you know, don't discourage the newbies, 'cos that might be "their MS journey".
                Two-thirds of people can still walk after 20 years... They say.

I can sort of walk, so long as I have a wall or a walker to cling to. Need to get to the lavatory in a hurry? Wouldn't back me at a hundred-to-one in a two horse race.
                And I'm not American Pharaoh.

I've taken drugs for MS for 18 years, at the cost to our government of at least $18,000 a year. Me, $32 a month. Which still adds up.

Maybe I bought a few more years. Maybe not. But one day you wake up, and the swingeing scythe descends. Quoth the raven nevermore etc.

I've had just about enough. Yes, new drugs - worth the risk? Definitely, if you still have a couple of good cards in your hand.

A good friend, aged 90, died last week. She had breast cancer, and a year ago, she went through a mastectomy, and chemo, and the last months of her life were an utter misery.

I'm only 45. Unless they can improve me, I cannot see the point in spending the next year or two going through one or the other of the new drug treatment regimes.

Spent five years, which might otherwise have been quite pleasant, on Beta. Wish I'd never known, to be honest.

Maybe we need an outbreak of viral MS.

HIV is an immune system thing, so just guessing, you'd think they might have noticed some autoimmune problems on the way through.

I'm not as depressed as I sound.

Comment

It is good to hear from you, Thinkimjob. You may be just stating the facts, as you see them! You may be suffering from depression, you may not ! But don't despair ! Haven't you heard the 'game changer' drug, ocrelizumab, is in phase III trials, somewhere in Europe. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                    They have us over a barrel. Can't complain, or you're not being sufficiently "positive".
                    Can't complain, when you are fit for the fight; gets too late in the day.

And there are some people who are still okay after 20 years, so, you know, don't discourage the newbies, 'cos that might be "their MS journey".
                    Two-thirds of people can still walk after 20 years... They say.

I can sort of walk, so long as I have a wall or a walker to cling to. Need to get to the lavatory in a hurry? Wouldn't back me at a hundred-to-one in a two horse race.
                    And I'm not American Pharaoh.

I've taken drugs for MS for 18 years, at the cost to our government of at least $18,000 a year. Me, $32 a month. Which still adds up.

Maybe I bought a few more years. Maybe not. But one day you wake up, and the swingeing scythe descends. Quoth the raven nevermore etc.

I've had just about enough. Yes, new drugs - worth the risk? Definitely, if you still have a couple of good cards in your hand.

A good friend, aged 90, died last week. She had breast cancer, and a year ago, she went through a mastectomy, and chemo, and the last months of her life were an utter misery.

I'm only 45. Unless they can improve me, I cannot see the point in spending the next year or two going through one or the other of the new drug treatment regimes.

Spent five years, which might otherwise have been quite pleasant, on Beta. Wish I'd never known, to be honest.

Maybe we need an outbreak of viral MS.

HIV is an immune system thing, so just guessing, you'd think they might have noticed some autoimmune problems on the way through.

I'm not as depressed as I sound.
                    Hey Think,
                    Did I ever tell you my oldest sister lives in Australia? She is a lot older. Unfortunately, we are not close but recently started emailing once in awhile after our brother died last year. Her emails are a bit weird, and I thought she was injecting cute Aussie-isms, but now I think she is just in the habit of talking like an academic because both her and her husband work in a college of some sort. I guess the people she hangs with probably all talk like that...

Anyway, never apologize for anything you post about this disease. All I know is that MS is the creep and the thief, not you, not me, not any of us! I can't even think of the words to describe it, it is so bad, and this is my only venting hole. In my real life I smile like a stepford wife most of the time, only losing it occasionally while m blood pressure rises from keeping all this frustration internalized. Thank God I can come here and get some of it out or I would combust!
                    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                      Haven't you heard the 'game changer' drug, ocrelizumab, is in phase III trials, somewhere in Europe.
                      I hope you are right! The last time I got excited about an MS development was Tecfidera, which was a nightmare for me personally. My mother was the first of us diagnosed with MS in '59 and our family has many horses in this race ever since. Even at a snail's pace, you would think some headway would be made for "our kind" eventually!
                      Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                      X