What are you using for bowel regularity> My wife has been on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you using for bowel regularity> My wife has been on

DAILY doses of miralax for about 7 years and she is gassy all the time and still sometimes has to wait four days for a movement. Any suggestions?

When I had my colonoscopy I was prescribed ducalax and it was very effective and gentle. Anybody taking that on a daily basis, if so is it effective?

Thank you.

By the way, my wife is taking metaxalone (generic for skelaxin) which is a muscle relaxant and very very good for spasms. It's expensive but if you have a decent drug plan take a look at it.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

Hi robert152

Happy Holidays to you too!

You might find a lot of suggestions about bowel issues in the Secretive and Confidential Symptom Forum:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...l-Symptom-Room

Hope your wife can find something that works well!

Take care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Linzess

I've tried Miralax without much success. Linzess has been good for me and the side effects are few. Good luck!
      "It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
      I am the master of my fate,
      I am the captain of my soul." ˜William Ernest Henley

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
        Hi robert152

Happy Holidays to you too!

You might find a lot of suggestions about bowel issues in the Secretive and Confidential Symptom Forum:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdi...l-Symptom-Room

Hope your wife can find something that works well!

Take care
        I agree. If it works, it's been posted!
        I recently found a couple of things that have been working marvelously. See my recent comment___________
        Here is what is working:
        I got so desperate that I searched the WWW and found what appears to be a quackish site that sells a Gutsense "Colon Recovery Program". My Ex GF said she is using it, and said it is really helping her. (She's on a couple of drugs that cause serious breakdown of natural biotics) and that it couldn't hurt to try it. Ok, I don't usually go for patent medicines or other nonsense, but what the hey? I was SO miserable I would have done anything, including the Yoga/Jumping jacks and other silly stuff I found on the web.
        When the package came I followed the course, and I don't know if the supplements stuff does anything, but this thing called Hydro-C works like a charm. After literally drowning myself in prune juice and fiber-based stuff, I wasn't getting anything but bad gas, bloating and very weird BMs.
        Hydro-C is basically a lot of Vit C in a powder with some other stuff, and you drink it when you get up. Within a couple of hours, boom, your done. No bloating, and if you "tune it" to your metabolism you don't get too "loose in the caboose" either. One thing, it can take a couple of hours to move everything so I have to get up early on days when I have plans. It's not a laxative, and vit c is not toxic in moderate amounts, so it's not something I am worried too much about.
        I got another recommendation for something called "Dr Schulze Intestinal Formula #1", so it's sitting in the kitchen, waiting for me to try it. But since the other "quackery" is working, I am going to hold off on that.
        _________

Just remember, Your Mileage May Vary.
        Jim S.

Comment

I've been chronically constipated my entire life. Plus I eat poorly or not at all. Now I take Metamucil 2 x per day and it works like a charm. Also Benefibre, the clear, tasteless one also works and sometimes I take it with Metamucil.

On the label it says, "Great for Cooking and Baking" which makes me chuckle thinking of making a batch of brownies or a turkey dinner and serving to unsuspecting guests! Yes, I'm sick and twisted that way!
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thank you Jstinnet,

koko and dpl 2014. We will be checking all of them out, one at a time.

Comment

Equate

I use a vegetable laxative I get from Walmart. It's the Equate brand and works like a charm for me. I have tried them all and can't believe this ones a charm for me.

Diamond

Diagnosed 6-28-14
              RRMS
              Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. ~Helen Keller~

Comment

All right, bear in mind this is contrary to all medical advice. Not a doctor, alas

But Nicotine will move your bowels.
                Not suggesting you take-up/ resume smoking - just mentioning a nicotine spray/ gum or lozenge, will definitely get things happening.

Those ex-smokers amongst us know how this worked. Cup of coffee, first smoke of the day, all systems go. Five minutes. Of course you'll be addicted again in no time.

But it doesn't taste as bad as that vanilla mirulax

Comment

Linzess

Linzess is what my gastro finally put me on after going through so many attempts at other things, both natural, over the counter and prescribed meds to help with chronic constipation. He told me to take it in the morning with a buttered piece of toast. I've been on it for about a year now and am happy with how it works. I wish I would of started it sooner. Just like all other meds, things work differently for different people, but I hope your wife is able to find something that helps.

Comment

I use Linzess 290 mg daily and a double dose of Miralax. I have done up to a quadruple of Miralax (the generic from Sam's is cheaper) if I need to. Works great!
                    Brenda
                    Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

ClearLAX

Originally posted by robert152 View Post
                      DAILY doses of miralax for about 7 years and she is gassy all the time and still sometimes has to wait four days for a movement. Any suggestions?

When I had my colonoscopy I was prescribed ducalax and it was very effective and gentle. Anybody taking that on a daily basis, if so is it effective?

Thank you.

By the way, my wife is taking metaxalone (generic for skelaxin) which is a muscle relaxant and very very good for spasms. It's expensive but if you have a decent drug plan take a look at it.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.
                      I've used many brands of Crap for the Crapper over the past 15yrs! both Rx and OTC. As usual one size don't work for all. Walmart's brand has worked just a good for me past couple years. Is OTC and not as pricey. Good Luck

Comment

try using flaxseed, once Roundup you can put it in oatmeal and it will soften( that is what I do) if not softened it is very tough and dry.
                        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                        volunteer
                        MS World
                        hunterd@msworld.org
                        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Metamucil and 6 prunes morning and evening work great for me.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X