OH THE PAIN!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH THE PAIN!!

Pain has always been a major symptom of my MS but the first couple of days this week it has been outrageous. Just a few minutes ago I finally gave in an took my pain med and a muscle relaxer for some relief.

Then it came to mind it has been extremely humid and very rainy the past couple of days and will be this way the rest of the week through the weekend.

Does anyone else notice their pain get worse when it is rainy and humid? Temperatures have been normal, low to upper 70's nothing to complain about.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

my pain is increased when it is cold. It also increases when it is humid, but the cold wins the gold medal.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Way,

Sorry to hear you are having more pain.

I haven't noticed a difference with pain when it's rainy or humid (yet ..). But, cold takes the prize for me, too. My spasticity kicks up big time with the cold, and along with that comes more pain.
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you for your replies. My spasticity and pain kicks it up a notch with cold as does my fatigue oddly enough. But this is the first I noticed the rain and humidity to have an effect. This morning it is still raining and it is humid and I woke up to stiff legs. It's supposed to be like this all week. Blahhh!!
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

Oh yeah. Pain has always been my worst symptom ( or result ) of MS. And yes.... I've noticed the changing weather patterns make me feel like I'm dying. I start poking down whatever I think will help. Lately I am in agony and feeling just plain sick. I have a variety of illnesses that cause pain so I guess one is feeding off the others.

I have honestly thought this is my last day... many times. One of these days it will be.

I also know that every year I get extra anxious and have more pain during the holidays. I must be OCD and just worry myself into these situations. I have no control over stress and don't know how to control it. Seems impossible.

Good luck to you all.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I have wondered the same thing

We've had a ridiculous amount of rain this week,and yes,there has definitely been an increase in my spasms and terrible pain. To the point that Friday, it got so bad, I took 2 different relaxants and a pain pill and it still kept getting worse, until I finally went to the ER for steroids, that finally gave me relief. And cold......that affects me as bad as heat, which is really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by PattiHNC View Post
              We've had a ridiculous amount of rain this week,and yes,there has definitely been an increase in my spasms and terrible pain. To the point that Friday, it got so bad, I took 2 different relaxants and a pain pill and it still kept getting worse, until I finally went to the ER for steroids, that finally gave me relief. And cold......that affects me as bad as heat, which is really bad.

Funny thing about the cold. I actually feel better when I go out in the cold for a few minutes. When we lived on the farm I'd go out to the barn every morning and came back feeling better. Strange, is it not?
              Marti

Comment

it"s a strange disease

This is just one more way MS affects different people in different ways. It's one of the frustrating things about it - it's difficult to avoid triggers when it's so unpredictable.

Comment

I mostly have spinal headache sort of pain, but don't have problems unless I miss taking my meds. Then I definitely feel pain... However lately I have had a new problem and my pain meds won't touch it. Bummer! If you don't have an anesthesiologist in your life, I would ask for a referral. A good pain doctor can work miracles.
                  Jim S.

Comment

I wonder if my pain is worse about this time of year due to a drop in Vitamin D, as summer has ended ( less sun).

And the drop in vitamin D is letting inflammation rear it's ugly head. :-( .

I don’t notice a difference with humidity.
                    10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
                    later:ADEM/MS,
                    5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Originally posted by dawlfin View Post
                      I wonder if my pain is worse about this time of year due to a drop in Vitamin D, as summer has ended ( less sun).

And the drop in vitamin D is letting inflammation rear it's ugly head. :-( .

I don’t notice a difference with humidity.

Can you explain inflammation to me. How do you know if something is inflamed? I've never understood that. And... do you know anything about topical Vitamin D? The pills and gummies kind of upset my stomach at times. I just read about a lotion that is getting good reviews. Thanks.
                      Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                        Can you explain inflammation to me. How do you know if something is inflamed? I've never understood that. And... do you know anything about topical Vitamin D? The pills and gummies kind of upset my stomach at times. I just read about a lotion that is getting good reviews. Thanks.
                        Hi. So inflammation usually means that our immune system is responding to an injury or infection.

In an autoimmune disorder our immune system attacks our own healthy tissue, as if it were a germ that it needs to kill.

Vitamin D is a natural anti-inflammatory. MS and Vitamin D have an interesting relationship.

There has been a lot of research. Your Neuro should be monitoring your vitamin D levels.
                        10/2005 AFP/ MS?later:TN
                        later:ADEM/MS,
                        5/08 MS IVSM, Copaxone

Comment

Things aren't flash for me when it's hot but combine heat and humidity and I'm a complete write off. The other night I was super tired, it was humidly hot and for the first time ever I almost ended up asleep at the table with my face in my dinner!!

Comment

Working...
                          X