Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiac sonographer, over night on call, and Ambien.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardiac sonographer, over night on call, and Ambien.....

Problem: new manager

I have been with this company for 14 years.

MS 2013: After I returned to work I do not take call from 10 pm to 5am because after I received High dose steroids I have had to take Ambien nightly. I do have issues with MS fatigue that happens after 3pm. My work hours are 6:30am to 3pm Monday through Thursday so not an issue.

My job description just says I have to participate in the call schedule and I do.

My new manager said she would let me go if I don't participate in call fully, oh would you like a cup cake.

It is stated in my FMLA paperwork no after hour call. I called FMLA and they said it is something I need to take up with HR.

Any suggestions? My supervisor seems afraid of the new manager and she has become a slimy underhand person. The lies she tells are rampant.

The paperwork states due to medication I can't take over night call. My thoughts are to just stick with this.

Advise greatly appreciated.

Do I just stick to this statement, and do not disclose MS?

Hello! Sorry to hear about your manager. It’sa shame when Companies/Manages just doesn’t generally care anymore. I amby no means an expert but can lend some useful advice. I work for a largecompany and frequently deal in scenarios similar to yours. Filling outFMLA is just half of the equation. That affords you 12 weeks ayear at no risk of losing your job.

If your manager is reallypushing the envelope you can file for an ADA accommodation. Some individuals try and take advantage of ADAso there are strict guidelines. But basicallyif it does not cause harm to the company or anything way above the norm thatthey would do for another person than they would be required to abide by the accommodation. Example: Someone has a broken leg and needsto sit to complete their job. We also employedsomeone with Huntington’s disease up till the point where they could barelytalk and no longer walk without falling. One day he fell causing injury to himself. This didcause harm to the company which we did not have to employee this individual anylonger. It was a sad day but if hecontinued working he would have been seriously hurt and his pride was preventinghim from seeing this. Even his familywanted him to resign.

Personally I can’tsee how you wouldn’t be afforded an accommodation based on what you have stated. EEOC is also another route to take if youfeel discriminated against. Each statealso has their own laws to abide by that I would look into when filing for ADAand/or EEOC. I hope this helps!

Comment

Good answer from Shorti

I would add that frequently just mentioning that you will be looking into ADA/EEOC/Attorney General solutions causes companies to try to work with you rather than deal with the legal hassle but that makes long term enemies so only use it as a last resort.
      Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Just a heads up but if you are going to base no overnight call on taking Ambien long term it might be problematic. This medication is schedule IV and is not intended per its FDA aproval to be used long term. Unfortunately it can result in tolerance and difficulty discontinuing if not prescribed and used as intended. FWIW the FDA also recommends 5mg dosing for women.

Perhaps consult a disability attorney before you make a statement to your employer?
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Shorti24 View Post
          We also employedsomeone with Huntington’s disease up till the point where they could barelytalk and no longer walk without falling. One day he fell causing injury to himself. This didcause harm to the company which we did not have to employee this individual anylonger. It was a sad day but if hecontinued working he would have been seriously hurt and his pride was preventinghim from seeing this. Even his familywanted him to resign.
          Unfortunately Huntingtons, imo, is the most horrible disease in the world, just barely edging out ALS because Huntingtons progression is often slower and includes severe mental illness in the form of psychosis. It is very likely his decision making and insight were impaired more by the disease process than his pride.

Sometimes I wonder if our ADA laws, which I know are designed to help prevent discrimination, sometimes result in more harm than good by allowing someone clearly unsuitable to remain in a position for longer than they are safe and able to produce which is what it sounds like happened to your coworker.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            Just a heads up but if you are going to base no overnight call on taking Ambien long term it might be problematic. This medication is schedule IV and is not intended per its FDA aproval to be used long term. Unfortunately it can result in tolerance and difficulty discontinuing if not prescribed and used as intended. FWIW the FDA also recommends 5mg dosing for women.

Perhaps consult a disability attorney before you make a statement to your employer?
            Had my yearly Neuro appt on Tuesday and asked him about the ambien and really wanting to be off as I have asked since the beginning. He said it could possibly take a month for my system to reset. So if I had that find of time to go without sleep as I don't to keep taking it.

The managers threats were on Thursday.

Comment

I spoke at length with 2 pharmacist this weekend. Over the last 3 days I have tapered down from 5mg to 2.5mg and the goal is to stop it altogether and then use a time release melatonin.

The pharmacist said it would be no problem to wake up and be able to safely drive on the melatonin.

I am confident there is a silver lining to this. It's very helpful to post about this to get it off my chest, as I don't want to discuss it with family and friends that tend to be hot heads. I need a clear strategy based plan.

Prayers and good will are always appreciate and needed.

Merry Christmas to all. And hopefully a good night sleep. 😴

I will post my 30 day results.

Comment

Melatonin is a nice sleeping aid. I use it nightly. I take 20MGs. Not addictive and works for me! Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                X