Another snow question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another snow question.

Where a live a group of people is going snowshoeing. We've had lots of snow so it's beautiful out there.

I've never put on a pair of snowshoes in my life but this sounds fun. Question is: is snowshoeing too difficult for someone with MS or do the big shoes actually help with balance? My legs arent too strong anymore, my gait is awkward and my balance isn't that great. But everything improves when I'm out in the fresh air and it's cold.

Anyone have experience with this?

I used to snowshoe at lot when I lived in Alaska and loved it. That was pre-MS and my body was much stronger - especially my legs.

I'd say, go for it! You'll never know until you try - right? You might use trekking poles which help with balance and if you fall, well - it would be a soft landing in the snow.

Enjoy yourself!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Basically what Seasha said. Have fun!

Comment

Someone told me it takes a lot of strength to lift up your legs. It's hard enough as it is for me to do that when there is nothing to lift but my feet.

Maybe I will try it anyway.

Comment

Hi palmtree,

Might be a bit hard for you if you already have difficulty lifting up your feet.

From sectionhiker.com

Consider that in addition to the gear you carry in your backpack, you will have an additional 8 pounds or more on your feet because of your snowshoes, boots, and traction devices.

For example:

Snowshoes weigh between 4 pounds per pair
          Crampons weigh between 1 to 3 pounds per pair
          Microspikes weigh 12 ounces
          Technical, knee-high gaiters weigh about 10 ounces
          Sorel pack boots weigh 3 – 4 pounds a pair
          Mountaineering boots weight 3 – 5 pounds per pair

One rule of thumb is that one pound on your feet feels like the 5 more pounds in your pack, so wearing 8 pounds of footware (boots + snowshoes, for example), is the equivalent of carrying an additional 40 pounds of gear in your pack. Add in a couple thousand feet of elevation change (if there is any, and it’s no wonder that winter hiking is a lot more strenuous.

You said you do better in the cold, guess that depends on how much better? Does sound like it would be fun, just realize your limitations first.

Please let us know how it went if you go,
          Last edited by Kimba22; 12-20-2015, 07:59 PM.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Depending on where you're going, is it possible for someone to follow along (or go short bursts ahead) in a 4wd vehicle or snow mobile?
            Oddly enough, yes I snow-shoe'd in my youth on what appeared to look closely related to bamboo tennis rackets. I've been watching a travel show on Netflix recently and the snowshoes those guys wore looked NOTHING like what I used way back when!

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
              Someone told me it takes a lot of strength to lift up your legs. It's hard enough as it is for me to do that when there is nothing to lift but my feet.

Maybe I will try it anyway.
              Hi palmtree

Kimba's post is very insightful.

I wonder if one of your friends would commit to sticking with you during your trek?

I remember all too well, while going on group outings (in my early days with MS), the frustration and struggle of trying to "keep up" with my fully able-bodied friends.

On the other hand, you may keep up with everyone just fine - or maybe everyone is going to go their own way anyways?

In any case, good luck with whatever you decide.
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi there!
                Snow shoeing can be an intense workout...burns lots of calories as it is hard cardiovascular exercise. You also need to have good hip-flexor and quadriceps strength to successfully lift legs and feet in the shoes. I think if you can walk 1-2 miles at a decent pace without being winded, give it a try? Trekking poles are very helpful for balance.

Have you tried dog-sledding or snow machine? Still outside in the cool and lots of fun.
                RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Dog sledding is starting to look real good or maybe ice skating. 'Walking 1 or 2 miles at a decent pace???' I can't walk at all at a decent pace.

Strong hip flexors? Nope.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the try it and see what happens but I always try to pay attention to my body. It is not rare for me to go on an outing with my kids then stop half way and turn around and meet them back at the car. I'd rather get the half way then not try at all.

Give it a go. I imagine it will be too much but if it's not you found a great new activity.
                    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Sorry Palm, I didn't want to dissuade you--just give honest info how I perceive difficulty of the activity so you can prepare beforehand. There is also downhill sledding/tubing, cross country skiing (already comes with poles), and ice-sailing.
                      RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
                      X