Neck cracking or popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck cracking or popping

Does anyone have neck cracking or popping when you turn a certain way? I do and it's pretty painful. Is it an MS thing?

Cracking is probably from the joints between vertebra. It may be from age-related wear and tear (osteoarthritis). If you do not have any pain or other symptoms it's hard to say more.

Comment

My neck has a cracking sound but it doesn't pop. I have a tingling feeling in the back of my neck all the time. Only your neurologist can tell you if it is MS related. Hope you find relief from the pain regardless of what is causing it.

Comment

Hi candycane:

MS is a disease of the central nervous system; it isn't a disease of bones or joints, so can't be the cause of mechanical popping in your neck. It's not MS, so it would be beneficial for you to see your GP or an orthopedic doctor to investigate what else is going on that's causing the neck popping and pain. Good luck in getting some relief! :-)

Comment

The cracking and popping are not MS symptoms.

Our muscles keep our spines in line; spasticity and weakness in turn cause...tripping, falling, wall grabbing, walking with a limp.

Any combination of these things can cause your lower or upper back to go out and pinch a nerve. This in turn can cause a great deal more pain than the spasms can cause.

Chiropractic manipulation does help MS in that our spines and ribs are more apt to be cramped, "hugged", jarred & jerked out of alignment. (MS hugs can pull ribs out of alignment)

My Chiropractor and Massage Therapist have been my saving grace more than once. They both have several patients with MS. It's no cure, but it helps.

They cant give medicine either so when you are in pain they believe you. That right there is an emotional bonus.

Comment

Tight Muscles

A physical therapist once explained the "cracking" is your tense muscles constricting as not to allow for proper movement of the joints. This is the case in all "cracking" joints throughout ones' body.
            Last edited by Seasha; 12-21-2015, 10:27 PM. Reason: Increased font for easier reading

Comment

I have cracking and popping in my neck also. But mine comes from arthritis. Years ago I suffered terribly with migraines and while looking at the results of a MRI it showed arthritis in my neck. My PCP at the time told me it will only get worse as I age. He was right.
              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
              Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
              X