QUESTION FOR A FRIEND!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUESTION FOR A FRIEND!

Her Step-Mother was DX with MS about 5 years ago. She was asking me this morning if it was normal for someone with MS to have tremors 24/7. She said her Step-Mom has them and says they hurt and takes Lortab for the pain.

I told her a MS patient can have tremors but to my knowledge they don't last 24/7 non-stop. She told me her Step-Mom has her Dad convinced it's just part of her MS.

I told her it sounds like she has a drug problem and she needs help with that. Also,she needs to see her Neurologist about the constant tremors because something is definitley wrong but I doubt seriously it's her MS.

Has anyone ever heard of a MS patient having tremors 24/7 with MS? Have I given her bad advice? If so I definitely want to correct myself.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Although i haven't heard of that, it likely doesn't mean it couldn't occur. Because MS is a neurological disease, and our brain affects absolutely everything that we do, I tend to subscribe to the theory that anything "could be" MS, but we shouldn't assume that "everything" is, without ruling out other possibilities.

Without knowing more about your friend's mom, suggesting that she has a "drug problem" would be a large leap for me to take. Perhaps you have additional knowledge that makes that a reasonable or likely possibility.

I agree that she needs to see her neurologist about the 24/7 tremors because something is definitely wrong. Who knows -- it might be MS; it might not be. But it shouldn't be ignored. It also shouldn't be assumed to be either an undiagnosed drug problem, or just "part of MS". A neurologist should decide what's really going on, rather than bystanders speculating.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Waydwnsouth1,

She was asking me this morning if it was normal for someone with MS to have tremors 24/7.
      Some do deal with tremors as a permanent symptom. 24/7? Sure it's possible.

She said her Step-Mom has them and says they hurt and takes Lortab for the pain.
      This is the part that caught my attention. Tremors can make doing simple things difficult and down right impossible and depending on how bad they are they can make a person want some relief from the constant shaking.

Tremors do not cause pain.

Lortab is a narcotic, a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone.

Waydwnsouth1:
      I told her it sounds like she has a drug problem and she needs help with that
      I agree with your assessment Waydwnsouth1.

Information about Tremors and possible treatments for them:
      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ymptoms/Tremor
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

MAMABUG

The drug problem came from the step- daughter. She said her step-mom has had a drug problem for awhile. I wouldn't have assumed a drug problem without knowing something in advance. The Dad is worried to death but she won't let him call the Neuro.

She did tell me that her step-mom blames everything on MS. I told her to be careful with that because it could be MS and may not be MS.

Thanks for the reply.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

I have them 24/7 also, but the only type of pain I have is from smacking my hand into something. I have not found anything that will help them go away, I have just learned to live with it.
          hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
          volunteer
          MS World
          hunterd@msworld.org
          PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

It is my understanding that tremors are not painful and although I do believe they can be the result of MS whether they are caused by MS or not is inconsequential.

The botton line is that the research does not support opiates as effective for long term relief of chronic pain.

If her husband is concerned she has a drug problem I'd suggest he call the neurologist and inform him of his concerns. People are dying every day from the opiate epidemic in this country and it makes me sick every time I hear a lame statement like the Dad in this story isn't able to report this because "she won't let him call the neuro".

Healthcare providers can not give out information without consent but they can listen to anyone who wants to share information.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I have tremors/spasms. They were the first symptoms that made me go to the doctor. They started around my eyes. At first they were called benign, them hemi-facial spams, dystonia when they moved to other parts of my face and then my body.

Recently they are extremely painful. In fact, they sent me to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Trust me, nobody wants to run to the emergency room if you have MS, because they will lump every symptom into MS and tell you to see your Neurologist or find that you are already being treated for the problem, likely doing nothing. In my case it was good enough to know that my heart was ok, add a muscle relaxer at my insistence (already taking baclofen and kepra)

I certainly would be hurt if people just assumed I was drug seeking. MY spasms caused significant pain. I really did need pain control, but refused them because I did not want to muddy the waters when my doctors try to figure out wants going on. MS or not, they hurt! I should not have to suffer to be taken seriously, but I did.

Just because someones symptoms do not fall into typical patterns does not mean that they do not exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Although i haven't heard of that, it likely doesn't mean it couldn't occur. Because MS is a neurological disease, and our brain affects absolutely everything that we do, I tend to subscribe to the theory that anything "could be" MS, but we shouldn't assume that "everything" is, without ruling out other possibilities.
                This is what s s tricky about our shared disease here...when is it MS? When is it not?

When I think of constant hand tremors, and the hesitancy to speak with a doctor, it makes me wonder. My brother was a substance abuser and my father and my FIL had/have shaky hands, drinking heavily their whole lives along with old age. Parkinson's sufferers certainly have this going on...

She needs a doctor. I hope she can be treated. The shaking combined with pain 24-7 sounds like an absolutely nightmare!! Good luck to her.
                Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
                  The drug problem came from the step- daughter. She said her step-mom has had a drug problem for awhile. I wouldn't have assumed a drug problem without knowing something in advance. The Dad is worried to death but she won't let him call the Neuro.

She did tell me that her step-mom blames everything on MS. I told her to be careful with that because it could be MS and may not be MS.

Thanks for the reply.
                  OK; thanks for the explanation. And, yes, it's good to be careful not to blame everything on MS.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Tia1

What you are explaining appears to be muscle spasms(?).

Tremors and spasms are different symptoms. Spasms certainly causes pain, I certainly would disagree with that.

Tremors/shaking is not painful and does not cause pain. Muscle relaxers will not help tremors.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                      Spasms certainly causes pain, I certainly would disagree with that.
                      Oh good grief! I need to proof read

I meant to say I would not disagree. Muscle spasms do cause pain.
                      Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. I sure have learned something here today. There is sure a lot to learn about this disease and today was an education. I will pass this along to my friend when I see her.

Thank you all!!

Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                        X