Night pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night pain

It seems that every night I am having more pain than during the day. My hands and arms are causing me to not get enough sleep. I have tried taking an Aleve before I go to bed but that doesn't help. I have found some slight relief by wearing tight leather gloves, but I want to find something that works better. Do any of you have any ideas that might help? I am taking Gabapentin and Elavil at night.
    All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

I had the same thing, but in my legs. When I told my neurologist she set up and appointment for me at the pain clinic and they prescribed lyrica and it has done the trick. Since Lyrica is for leg pain due to diabetes or MS and I have both, whatever the cause was, it worked, I do not know if it will help you any.. I hope you get this figured out.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that the pain in your arms and hands is not from MS! I suspect it is carpel tunnel. If you use your hands and arms a lot in a respective motion or spend a lot of time on computers that will trap the nerve. Even though the nerve is trapped in your wrist, the pain travels all the way up your arm to your neck. The nerves in your arm are saying ouch!

Go to the pharmacy and buy some carpel tunnel splints and wear them at night. Give it a week and see if you feel better. Lyrica would be good, too.

Good luck!

Comment

If your pain is mainly in the wrists, hands, first three fingers and forearms, the it can be carpal tunnel, as mentioned. Night wrist splints may help. The night pain in carpal tunnel syndrome comes from bending your wrists excessively.

Comment

SO many

So many things can be causing it.

You may need to increase your gabapentin if it was relieving your pain before.

But, it could be other things. A good conversation with your neuro's office would be a good thing.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Being none too mobile, at the end of the day my feet are sore and swollen. And I do get up and wheelie-walk around.

I have to hoick my legs into bed of an evening. I wear leggings, because they are easier to grab.
            Ooh so very, very Victoria's Secret. Hey ho.

Rollators are good, but they also kind of suck. I have biceps like Mr Swarnegger. My back hurts, my legs hurt, my forearms hurt. My hands have unusual bruising, probably from holding the huge weight of a mini iPad.

And my poor old feet still drag on the ground.

Do your hands throb? My feet do, where my fingers are dead-set numb, if I hold them over my head.

Cheerful news - the pharmacist sends his staff out to deliver my drugs, and my cleaning lady picks up my grocery order.

I am 45. That it should have come to this.

Comment

Thanks

I had thought of carpel tunnel being the cause and used the splints but to no avail. I have been on Lyrica and won't make that mistake again. It made me mean and irritable. I will be asking my neuro about it on my next visit after Christmas. Thank you all for your replies,

Comment

It might be useful to visit an orthopedist. There are 3 places on the arm where the nerve could get trapped. Or there could be a disk herniation in your neck.

Or it could be MS

That's a tough position to be in if Lyrica causes you bad side effects. You probably wouldn't like opioids either.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post

I am 45. That it should have come to this.

I'm only a year ahead of you. I took my regular dose of steroids this week. I get 1 gram every 6 weeks. It didn't help with the hand pain but now I have a cold coming on. It does keep me upright and mostly mobile.

I hope you have a much better year!

Comment

Working...
                  X