Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

Does anyone know if Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is common in MS patients?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is a mechanical issue and should not be directly associated with MS. TOS can occur because of an abnormal cervical rib, overuse of the muscles of the shoulder girdle (assembly work, leaning forward during studying...) and other physical issues.

Comment

I had it but I don't know if there is a relationship between MS and TOS. I had the surgery on both sides. The surgeon discovered I had a cervical rib when I was on the operating table.

For many years I attributed the paralysis in my hands to thoracic outlet and carpel tunnel. I'm sure they contributed to it along with a cervical disk herniation that was pressing on the nerve. But now, my hand it almost completely paralyzed from a fine coordination point of view and I highly suspect MS.

It's an interesting question. It would be sad if someone had the surgery and later found out they had MS.

Comment

Originally posted by walkingalone View Post
        Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is a mechanical issue and should not be directly associated with MS. TOS can occur because of an abnormal cervical rib, overuse of the muscles of the shoulder girdle (assembly work, leaning forward during studying...) and other physical issues.

Thanks. I was just curious.
        Marti

Comment

The real distinction is that thoracic outlet syndrome affects the peripheral nervous system and MS affects the central nervous system.

Comment

Huh, I just saw this on GMA this morning. Not that I trust my medical news to morning shows, but they did mention it's common to athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by alk View Post
              Huh, I just saw this on GMA this morning. Not that I trust my medical news to morning shows, but they did mention it's common to athletes.

That makes sense, but I'm NO athlete!
              Marti

Comment

Working...
              X