Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u) for hiring people with severe physical disabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u) for hiring people with severe physical disabilities

I was curious if anybody had any suggestions about using the Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u) selective placement program for applicants with disabilities to get a Federal job? I have MS and I have been applying for Federal jobs through USA Jobs using the Schedule A selective placement program. I keep being found qualified, eligible, but I am not referred. And the few jobs that I have been referred, that I have self-disclosed that I am disabled often seems to end up hurting me -- I am asked about my disability during the interview. I realize the chance of getting a Federal job is really slim -- for example, the U.S. Department of Justice has 110,427 employees, but only 457 have targeted disabilities like MS, less than 0.41%. However, Federal jobs often pay so much better than the private sector, that I feel compelled to keep trying. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sorry your post didn't get any responses, my guess is no one knows the answer but your question is excellent.

I have no experience with that form but what I can share based on my previous employment with the federal govt is that it took years to actually get hired and necessitated seeking out the actual HR person who was aware of openings and could guide me in the process. I fostered an email relationship with her and was eventually hired. I'm highly qualified in a sought after field and yet I never got a request to interview based on the multiple online applications I submitted. My guess is that most of the positions are internally spoken for before being posted as well as the likelihood, just saying lol, of the disorganization of such a large system with a national data base for employment applications. Possibly get in touch with a HR person in your field and see if they can offer hints or information about the Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u) form?

I can appreciate your line of thinking that fed jobs are desirable for someone with chronic illness like MS due to their excellent health benefits, generous retirement contributions and willingness to keep employees who would likely be discarded in the private sector. What I didn't find is that their wages are better which is why I eventually left to return to private sector.

My advice would be attempt to get an "in" with HR or a supervisor in your field but also continue trying to find jobs in both the federal and private sector if you haven't already. The money I've made and saved since being diagnosed will make the difference between a comfortable future and an uncomfortable one depending on the course my disease decides to take.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Working...
    X