Is Your MS Better When You're Sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read that being sick can trigger an MS flare, but my friend confirms that I do better cognitively when I have a cold. I get them frequently at work because I kneel down to talk to my students. Right now I feel like a healthy person who has a head cold. I also seem less symptomatic that other people who get sick, maybe because my temp never goes above 96?

Hi dyin_myelin,

No, when I get sick my MS becomes much more symptomatic. Getting sick doesn't necessarily cause an exacerbation but what is referred to as a pseudo-exacerbation. My temperature has always run lower, ranging anywhere between 92-96.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

when I get sick, my symptoms are magnified tenfold at least! And not just one or two symptoms, but all of them !
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

No - my MS symptoms increase with a vengeance.

Because of this, I have become a true germaphobe now (which I don't enjoy one bit).

Take care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I HATE being sick, I so rarely get sick, sometimes can go the entire year without getting sick (watch me get sick just for saying that lol).

However, when I do get sick, I get really sick. My every day MS symptoms SEEM better by comparison to the symptoms of what I'm sick with! Also my MS symptoms are mostly the same all the time so I get used to them vs. sickness that hits you like a ton of bricks, then completely go away.

Maybe you're experiencing this?

Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

dyin_myelin

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
            Hi dyin_myelin,

No, when I get sick my MS becomes much more symptomatic. Getting sick doesn't necessarily cause an exacerbation but what is referred to as a pseudo-exacerbation. My temperature has always run lower, ranging anywhere between 92-96.
            As Snoopy says, getting sick could cause a pseudo-exacerbation, where you have real symptoms, but it's not a real flare and the symptoms will disappear as soon as the trigger is gone.

In my case, sickness will trigger a real flare, not a pseudo one. It certainly doesn't improve my MS symptoms or my cognitive abilities.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Not only are my symptoms noticeably worse when I'm sick, I've had a couple of colds that turned into full-blown true relapses about a week later.

Comment

My symptoms are way worse when I am sick but strangely enough when my WBC gets too low from my DMT, I feel great.

Comment

My symptoms are also much worse whenever I get sick, and because of my heat intolerance, even a slight fever can trigger a pseudo relapse. (Like SNOOPY, my "normal" temperature tends to run lower.)

Originally posted by newbie but goodie View Post
                  ... but strangely enough when my WBC gets too low from my DMT, I feel great.
                  Me, too. Felt great, even though mine were crashing. It came as quite a surprise when I ended up with sepsis and endocarditis.
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Worse

The 1st time I got sick after my diagnosis I didn't understand what was happening! I had strep throat and became unable to walk more than 10 steps. It was the worst I have ever felt.

I have gotten milder illnesses since then and each time my MS seems to be a little worse than normal.

I also felt decent though my WBC was super low!

Comment

I got a terrible cold a couple months ago that turned into pneumonia a couple days later.

While sick I noticed some of MS symptoms seemed to improve cognitive function, balance, muscle cramping. Other symptoms seemed worse, fatigue and depression mostly.

Comment

Working...
                      X