Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you take Gabapentin or Baclofen for spasticity at night

Hi all

I am interested in hearing what dosage you are on for Gabaptentin (Neurontin) or Baclofen at night, if you have spasticity and/or leg twitching?

I've been on Klonopin for over 4 years, 0.5mg at night, for leg twitching and spasticity. It works brilliantly but in the last year I am noticing my memory and cognition is terrible. Now I know this could be just MS, but I also saw links between Clonazepam and dementia, so I want to discontinue it.

It is terrible coming off it. I have lowered my dose for the last 2 weeks by just 0.125mg and immediately my spasticity went off the scale.

I take 10mg of Baclofen in morning and afternoon for spasticity too, but I am under-medicated.
    My spasticity is located in my wrists, neck, ribs and spine.

Does Gabapentin work well for spasticity?

Hi Guzzy

I take 10 mg Baclofen and 300mg Gabapentin together every 2 1/2 - 3 hrs through out the day, starting when I get up and before bed. The B has kept me free of spasticity and the G helps keep the nerve pain at bay.

I am pretty sure Gabapentin is not meant for spasticity.
    Linda

Comment

I also take Gabepentin for nerve pain, not spasticity in my legs.

Comment

Hi Guzzy

Not sure if you are interested in other meds for spasticity but I have been on Dantrolene 25mg twice a day (AM and PM) for about five days. It does help a lot with spasticity but it makes me tired, although not as bad as baclofen. Doc thinks once my body gets use to it, it won't be so tiring. We will see how it goes.

You do have to have liver function tests once or twice a year as it can cause liver damage. However, the literature that comes with it states that usually happens only with high, long term dosing.

I hope you find something that works for you and gives you some relief.

Echo
        Echo
        DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

I take Baclofen 10 mgs three times daily for spasticity. I don't know if its working.
          I know it helps calm my legs from jerking when I go to bed.

Comment

It's funny, I always thought the leg twitching was the restless less condition. I take 20mg of Baclofen at night to stop the muscle cramps and 900mg Gabapentin for restless legs.

Comment

Gabapentin does not work for spasticity. I take baclofen for spasticity, and it only works a minimal amount, but it does work and is some relief which is better than none.

Comment

Hello CarolynCarter and welcome to MSWorld.

Originally posted by CarolynCarter View Post
                I take baclofen for spasticity, and it only works a minimal amount, but it does work and is some relief which is better than none.
                I don't know what dosage of Baclofen you are on but Baclofen can be increased to a therapeutic level that works for you. Please speak to your Neurologist.

Guzzy, I have never taken Gabapentin so I do not have any personal experience with it. I have used Baclofen a few different times for spasticity with good results. I am currently taking 10mg 3x a day which is just a beginning dose but for me that's all I need at this point. My Neurologist does allow me to increase the dosage if needed.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I take 60mg of baclofen at bedtime for spasticity and I take (2) 300mg 2x day of gabapentin for nerve pain.
                  God Bless Us All

Comment

take Baclofen two 10mg tablets 3 times a day. It was so short acting the process of going in and out of spasms/spasticity, I was going crazy.

Requested anti-depressants hoping to take the "edge" from the ups and downs ant it being so short acting. Well, by the time I actually received the anti-depressants, I was REALLY VERY Depressed (my brother passed away).

The Elavil and Pamelor seem to make it OK to take the Baclofen.

My doc has been very careful in prescribing me drugs, I use to take so many opiates plus Klonopin and other meds.

My doc is experimenting with drugs for Parkinsons and that seems to help best with the least side-effects...did I mention--I love my Doc! I was on Soma (that worked the best) for about 18 years or more. Robaxin didn't help much at all, Flexaril (sp) wasn't as much help but, 22Cyclist uses that. It is going to be different for each person--due to the "no two patients with MS are alike."

The Parkinson drug that worked so well was Sinemet one tablet twice a day. Then it wasn't working very well. Phoned my doc and he said to STOP TAKING IT because once that drug stops working, not even a higher dose or three times a day will not work. Said, when it stops no other drug in that class will work. I was very very!

He then put me on a drug called Requip 0.5mg twice a day. I've been on it for almost 2 months and it helps a little-in conjunction with the other medications. Due to some issues, I wasn't able to pick up this last prescription for a week or so. It works but, the side effects are hot flashes and I was very lucky that ended years ago. After taking it, my mouth is extremely dry and hot flashes.

My doc also prescribed Elavil an Wellbutrin. I have been requesting psychiatric drugs because, way before anyone whispered the words of MS (in 2012). The Wellbutrin is 100mg every evening.

fOR females ONLY and curious readers ....GOOD NEWS OF WELLBUTRIN;
                    First night I took it I had a very dry mouth and called my doc. he said it might be worth it for me to stay on it and at some point the side effects might go away or lessen--give it 5 weeks.

He thinks I probably have Sjogrens also. I asked him why he choose that anti-depressant. He said it is used for "focus" and should also help the "Cog Fog." As soon as he said that, I immediately responded-

"Well that is working!!!"

I was honest with him and told him I was sad for not being able to meet a friend for lunch and I wanted some Elavil to take the edge off the pain (he is very reluctant to prescribe it for me); He said no. I then told him it helps me sleep and I've slept so poorly for years now and I am not suicidal.

So he wrote for the Elavil. I can't take the Elavil (50mg) every night or for very long or my tongue will crack open from the dryness and that hurts or it does tend to make me feel depressed. He then said OK.

Because I have so much malaise/lethargy/fatigue my doc is careful to try to order things that will not increase those symptoms.

My Rheumie ordered Xanax, prn sleep, restless leg, etc. Which I wasn't going to take but, that works tremendously well and does not cause any sad or dull effects. Although, I have to take 2 of the Xanax and not the one prescribed.

When I take it all, I don't notice the pain and stiffness--I am too busy to notice if it is working or not. It must be working because I am ABLE to do things and not sit and focus on it.

Combination ofThe Parkinson drug, Baclofen, Welbutrin and Elavil plus Xanax at night, seem to have a positive effect of calming the legs and most of body.

Mostly, I've used medicinal marijuana and stopped---it is too much work when I have symptoms--but, it does relieve the serious issues. I'll discuss MMJ (medicinal marijuana) in that thread.

When I am admitted to the hospital, I need to be able to take something to help me in pill form, they aren't going to hand me an organic bud and pipe. Having my symptoms controlled by prescribed medications for the Just in Case..like wearing clean underwear.

That is where I am right now.

I did try a couple of weeks of Cannibis Oil and quit combustion with the medication. I don't like to take it, etc. But, it really works. I quit it about a week ago and I am not in that constant pain I was up until yesterday. The pills are working except, I took the oil once before and had NO pain for over a year after stopping MMJ>

I DO NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS AND I AM NOT A DOCTOR: Just sharing what I take that is successfully working for me, if that is of any help.

My Vit D and Potassium were and can go very low. I take Turmeric caplets (purchased at Costco) which work well for inflammation and I had a break in that last month. It has to have pepper and olive oil or some other oil that will pass thru the blood/brain barrier. Best served on Cauliflower (cruciferious veges) with pepper and butter. Coconut oil and olive oil work well also.

I'll post this in that thread and more about dosing and how to use the MMJ.

I've been pretty bad for a long time and getting a "break" with those symptoms is a tremendous relief. I need to make sure I can successfully be treated by pills only. That is difficult but, doable.

Comment

Diazepam

Diazepam is the only muscle relaxant that has helped me. I was taking klonopin for many years before that but found it impacted my mood and it was very, very difficult to stop taking because of the withdrawal symptoms.

Tried baclofen (no effect) and tizanidine (made me so drowsy I was sleeping all day).

A small dose of diazepam works for me. 2 mg during the day helps me to move around easier -- I have less fatigue believe it or not. I get more exercise - also helps with MS Hug. Before bed I take 5 mg. Sleep through night -- also I take gabapentin for nerve pain.

good luck finding something that works for you.

Comment

Gab and Baclofen

Hi,
                        I take 10 mg baclofen every 4 hours. At bedtime, I take a baclofen and a gabapatin to help with spasticity and leg spasms. It works well (enough). What does your neuro say?

Comment

I take 40 MG of baclofen per day and 1800 MG of gabapentin each night. The baclofen works better for me than the flexeril I was taking for about 2 years. But I don't think it helps much because I still have a ton of pain for which I also get botox and have to take pain pills for. The gabapentin helps with nerve pain, specifically the hug.

Comment

Working...
                          X