Dizziness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dizziness?

I need some help from someone with a little experience. I just got off a steroid infusion for a flare. Only one new spot, woo hoo! So far the cog cog has diminished significantly, but now I have vertigo or dizziness or something. I'm not sure which, but it's leaving me slightly nauseous all the time. Its like when I turn my head the whole world shifts around a micro second too late. I almost fell down trying to look both ways before crossing the street.

Its better but not completely gone if I am standing still or move my head slowly. Driving is completely out of the question. Truth be told I almost fall down all the time at this point but it's the nausea that's killing me. At first I just couldn't tell where my legs were in space. It took some getting used to for that, so I can probably get used to this. Do otc motion sickness pills work for anyone?
    You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

My Primary Complaint

I started out with a horrible bout of dizziness and nausea along with double vision 4 years ago. The dizziness never went away. I lose my balance if my eyes move to the right or left. Even if I move my head. Some days are worse and some days are better but it NEVER went away completely. I was dx a year later but know I have had MS for at least 12 years. Sorry I can't give any good news. I have asked my doctors many times and there is nothing they can do to relieve the dizziness. I use a cane for balance and stopped driving a couple of years ago.

Comment

Alishape, I can relate to what you are going through. I have had the samething from time to time myself. I just finished a round of steroids but I didn't have any problems afterwards.

The "Matrix" feeling you are talking can cause nausea. I get nauseated also. My doctor RX a medication called Scopalomine. It's a patch that you put behind your ear. It's for motion sickness. I definitely helped me with the "Matrix" sensation.

Best of luck to you and I hope you can kick this quickly!!
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

I have this problem

Dizziness/vertigo with nausea. I was hospitalized since I couldn't walk at first - I was put on low dose Valium (diazepam). Meclizine for motion sickness didn't help me at all.
        I am still having problems with it - 7 months now. I fell about 6 weeks ago outside on concrete- hurt my knee & wrist. My MS MD doesn't seem very concerned. So I am managing with the diazepam.
        Tl-Tr3
        DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

Originally posted by alishape View Post
          I need some help from someone with a little experience. I just got off a steroid infusion for a flare. Only one new spot, woo hoo! So far the cog cog has diminished significantly, but now I have vertigo or dizziness or something. I'm not sure which, but it's leaving me slightly nauseous all the time. Its like when I turn my head the whole world shifts around a micro second too late. I almost fell down trying to look both ways before crossing the street.

Its better but not completely gone if I am standing still or move my head slowly. Driving is completely out of the question. Truth be told I almost fall down all the time at this point but it's the nausea that's killing me. At first I just couldn't tell where my legs were in space. It took some getting used to for that, so I can probably get used to this. Do otc motion sickness pills work for anyone?
          I experienced a lot of dizziness, many years ago, for months following my first MS flare. I was also nauseous. The difference between dizziness and vertigo, as I understand it, is that when you experience vertigo, the room is "spinning". My dizziness was so disabling that even sitting upright caused me to feel nauseous. For months, I was unable to do even simple tasks such as washing a sink load of dishes, and getting out of my reclined position in the living room recliner to use the restroom might trigger vomiting.

My physical therapist, who'd had some vestibular training, but no experience treating it until me, was able to give me exercise that triggered the dizziness, only to a point of tolerance, but not vomiting. I did those exercises multiple times per day, in order to "train my brain" to be able to tolerate those activities without triggering nausea.

It sounds like there are similar head motions, for you, that trigger your dizziness. Perhaps you could begin to try something similar. Even for a week or so. Just move your head, slowly, in the ways that trigger the beginning of the dizziness. Stop when it doesn't feel very tolerable. Then, in an hour or two, try it again. Do it when you are sitting, in a safe place, so you don't need to fear falling down.

It worked for me. After months of being even more disabled by my dizziness than I was by my serious mobility issues, I was able to live a closer to normal life again. My MS never went away, but those serious symptoms did.

Apparently, some meds can help with Vertigo, but not with Dizziness.

If you don't experience relief, perhaps you could request a referral from your doctor to a physical therapist with training in vestibular therapy. Mine changed my life.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I also have similar problem. Vestibular therapy also helped me 8 years ago. I continue to do some exercises today to help keep tolerance. If I don't, over time, I develop more problems. I still have issues when overly fatigued, or when sick. But day to day, much better.

Hope you feel better.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X