X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI freak out! Need some adive PLEASE!

Hi everyone,

I need a little advice please. Here's what happened:

I went for an MRI of brain and c-spine this past Friday. I have had multiple MRI's since being diagnosed, just like everyone. Never had a problem until this past Friday. Routine MRI should have been no big deal, right? Well, had a complete "freak out" moment. They finished the brain scan (pre contrast), took me out of "the tube" to change the cradle/mat for the c-spine scan (pre contrast) and shot me back into "the tube". So far so good. Did the c-spine, took me out of "the tube", shot me up with the contrast and shot me back into "the tube" to do the brain and c-spine with contrast. Enter "freak out" moment. I nearly lost it completely. That poor technician couldn't get back in there fast enough to get me out of there. It took me 15 minutes before I could go back in. In the meantime, I can't move because it will mess up the scan. Finally I could go back in, but I asked the tech to just keep talking to me. The rest of the scan felt like forever. I have a T-spine scheduled for tomorrow (Monday) but in an open bore so I think I hope I can handle it better. It's a machine with a larger "tube", not the open kind that looks like a donut hovering over you.

My question is, why would this bother me after 2+ years of having these things every 6 months? I keep my eyes closed, I do deep breathing, I sing in my head, mentally organize my "to do" list at work and home, think about my favorite vacation spot, etc. Sedation is not an option for this one as my spouse can't come with me. Future ones, yes. Just not this one. The contrast made me nauseous this last time so not sure if that had something to do with the "freak out". Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks for listening!
    RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
    Assistive Device: cane.
    Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Hi cleobear72,

I am sorry you had such a bad experience

My best guess is: for whatever reason you had an anxiety/panic attack. Why is happened? I'm not sure there is an answer for this question. Anxiety/panic attacks can come out of the blue for no reason. It's possible this was a one time thing but who knows.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I also

Became nauseous after the contrast was injected a few MRI's ago.
      I went into semi freak out mode as I thought I was going to throw up.
      I got through it - & it hasn't happened again.
      Tl-Tr3
      DX'07 MS- on Tysabri-

Comment

I, too, suffer from panic attacks. However, I'm able to master the MRI by doing these things:

1. Ask your Dr to prescribe you Xanax. I take .25mg, which is a really tiny dose, prior to just getting into the MRI. Taking 2 is fine, as I've done this as well. Sometimes, our anxiety can work against the Xanax, but it still relaxes you a little.

2. Have them completely cover your eyes with a cloth. I make sure I can't see anything before being put in the tube. Trust me, it helps. One look up while you're in the machine and you'll begin to panic.

3. Since I normally have thoracic, cervical, and brain, with and without contrast, my scans are split between two days. However, one day is the long one, having both scans done. I ask the tech if she could count down each individual scan (you can tell when the individual scans start and stop, as the machine makes noise and then goes quiet) that makes a whole MRI. She comes on the speaker and says, "ok, this one is 2 mins long, ok, this one is 5 mins long, ok, this one is 30 secs". I have had scans done where you're in there for an hour and you have no clue when it's going to be done. Having someone in contact with you, letting you know how much each scan will take until it totals the whole scan really helps!! Sometimes, I start to count the minutes in seconds and find the scan is done before I've finish counting. lol

4. Try to pick a center that plays music. They normally allow you to choose the music, and though you can't hear it well, you'll be able to hear it between each scan. Also, machines that blow air toward the back are great. It just makes you feel you're right at the opening and not closed in.

Remember, it really is mind over matter. Try these tricks, though. The eye covering and tech counting down each scan help me the most.

You can do it!

Comment

It happened to me once after years of "MRI experience". I was in an altered mental state from a severe UTI. As we know, the sounds change during the test. Well, after a few knocking and tapping rhythms, it switched to a very shrill scream that seemed to never end. My mind told me that the tech was an imposter, that this wasn't really an MRI machine and that he had abandoned me to hear that sound all night because it was late and he wanted to go home.

I waved my hand out of the machine to signal to him to let me out. The machine stopped.

He told me, "we will have to do this tomorrow. Once you put your hands out of the machine, it will automatically stop. "

It was a comfort for me to know that. It makes going in there not so scary if I know I can get out any time.

The next day (this was in the hospital) they gave me IV Ativan, 2 Klonapin and .05mg Xanax. I put a cool, wet washcloth over my eyes. All went well.

I've had to do many of them without any sedation because I drove myself. It's helpful to be extremely exhausted. I've slept through a few of them. But keep your eyes closed, put a cloth over your eyes and remember all you have to do is wave your arm and the machine will stop and you will slide out.

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the advice and encouragement. I went yesterday (Monday) for the T-spine in the open bore machine and it made a world of difference! I didn't feel so squished. The tube is a little larger and the whole machine is about half the length so it is much less confining and claustrophobic feeling, but still has the same resolution. They also had music which made a HUGE difference (thank you Dreams008!!). No issues at all getting through that one. I will book at that MRI facility from now on! Snoopy, I felt better knowing that anxiety and panic attacks can come from out of the blue. I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden it happened.

TL-TR3, I mentioned getting nauseous from the contrast to the tech and he said it can happen from injecting it too fast. He went slowly and it worked much better. If that happens again for you, perhaps that will help. All in all, open bore and slowly injected contrast seem to have done the trick for me.

Comment

Hi Palmtree,

That must have been really scary! I completely understand how you felt. My first set of MRI's were when I was in the hospital and going through the diagnosis process. I was given IV Ativan prior to the MRI. Really took the edge off. I call it "liquid drunk"! I got through those MRI's fine with sedation and have gotten through all those that have followed fine with no sedation, until this last set!

I like the idea of waving your arms to stop the machine. The machine they used during my "freak out" MRI's last week is very long and I am pretty short so not sure my arms would reach. I could do that in the open bore machine I was in yesterday if I needed to, but I felt very calm in there. A complete 180 from before.

I do appreciate your advice and I will definitely take it, along with everyone else's to get me through a lifetime of these. This is why I love this forum. A great group of understanding people who you can bring questions and concerns to without judgement. Thanks palmtree!

Comment

yes, Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I have an MRI coming up next week. I freaked out in a machine over a year ago. I got a bit nervous six months ago but not as badly since I went into a machine with a bigger hole and they had music. plus valium helped. Here's hoping it gets easier!

Comment

While the MRI machine is very small, remind yourself you are in a really big room.

You can get out at any time. Just press that button.
                  And take intravenous Valium/ Xanax. May as well get some fun out of it.

My fear is every time I have had an MRI my MS gets literally, immediately worse.
                  Walk in, crawl out.

This is, I think, because I've got platinum coils in my head to plug a brain haemorrhage.

I'm obviously wrong because no-one except my interventional neuroradiologist will believe me.

Comment

It's nice to know that I'm not alone with these feelings. I am going to go to the facility that has the open bore MRI machine and plays music from now on. I felt so much calmer and had no nausea from the contrast. I hoping that this will be the trick to get through these. I'll find out in the spring! Thank you all again for helping me through this, letting me know that I'm not alone and giving me some really great advice!

Comment

Not all MRI machines are equal

cleobear72

I'm sorry that you had such anxiety, but am glad that you found a different facility that plays music and has the open bore machine.

I would encourage you to check out the strength of the open bore machine though. MRI machines are not all the same and can vary widely in what they capture. The industry standard is 1.5T--the T stands for Tesla. Most MRI machines are of the 1.5T variety. There are newer wide-bore machines that are 3.0T--they are more sensitive than the 1.5T machines and can pick up harder to see lesions. They are also MUCH roomier and comfortable than the old 1.5T machines. The 3.0T wide bore is the one that I get my MRIs done on.

The open bore machines can vary in strength from .7T to 1.5T. At a .7T, you're not going to capture as much on the image because its not as sensitive.

Most imaging centers websites will list what type of MRI machine they have and what strength they are. If not, you can easily call the center and ask.

Obviously, if your choice is between a .7T MRI and NO MRI, then it's going to be more beneficial to go with the .7T MRI. However, if you're able to find a facility with at least a 1.5T open bore machine, then that would be even better!

I just wanted to throw this out there! I've had 10 MRIs in the past 3 years and had to hit the panic button once because they never started the music--it was either hit the panic button and avert something before it happened OR go into a full on panic attack. So, I can relate!

Good luck to you!

Comment

MRI question

When I scheduled my MRI a few months ago the person at the desk at my Neuro's said that even though I'm going into a 3T machine, the open bore is less resolution than the 3T ones that aren't. Is that true? I'm just curious. Plus I kinda wonder if it's more something the person has heard tossed around the office and doesn't really know. I haven't done any research on the subject and as far as I'm concerned, if my Dr. is okay with the machine I use then I'm going to stick with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X