Neurotin - Does anyone know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neurotin - Does anyone know...

I have been on Neurotin for several years. I almost never miss a dose. However, if I do miss a dose I am in pain again, it feels like my skin is crawling and everything hurts my skin, I can't focus on anything and just generally feel horrible.

Is this because of the medicine or my condition? Anyone know?
    ~Piper - DX'd 2/2010 - Mama, Wife, Working gal

Could it be that it is working extremely well to control symptoms? Or is it a drug that your body becomes dependent and causes a type of withdrawal/reaction?

I would definitely ask my doctor about this? Good luck with getting answers.

Comment

I'm assuming the medication is working for you, since when you take it, it's controlling your symptoms. "This type of pain is neurologic in origin, and the technical name is dysesthethias. These painful sensations typically affect the legs and feet, but may also affect the arms and trunk (such as the feeling of constriction around the abdomen or chest area known as the "MS Hug"). They can be very uncomfortable -- even quite painful -- but are not dangerous or necessarily disabling unless they are severe enough to interfere with a person's activities. Dysesthesias are often treated with the anticonvulsant medication gabapentin (Neurontin®). Dysesthesias may also be treated with an antidepressant such as amitriptyline (Elavil®), which modifies how the central nervous system reacts to pain." http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...-Symptoms/Pain

Neurontin (Gabapentin) has a short half life, and clears the system within 5 - 7 hours. So, it makes sense to me that your pain would return if you miss you a dose. It is a drug that should be tapered down slowly if is discontinued. Let your neuro know the pain returns if you don't take the medication.

Good luck
      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

My neuro prescribed gabapentin early on, and after a year or so I really doubted it was doing any good. So out of curiosity I quit for a month, and was soon having restless leg sx. At the end of the month, resuming the gabapentin in the evening reduced my RLS by over 90%.

On the other hand, I did not experience any difference at all in my paresthesia (which I think of as different than the RLS), although others have said it does help.

Is there a reason you suspect the medicine (gabapentin) and not the disease?
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

It's just the gabapentin wearing off. I am sometimes late in taking my Gab doses... it controls my pain and parasthesias so well, I am surprised to be reminded how much pain and hellish burning I'd be feeling without it! it is great it works for you, and that there is something to make life with MS easier to bear.

I take 3200/mgs a day -- and I will continue in perpetuity until they invent something better, or figure out how to repair axon damage in the spinal cord
          RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
          X