Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthquake

Earthquake in Oklahoma woke me up last night. First time for everything.

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/...ansas/36538042
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Scary

Earthquakes are scary. What was the magnitude? Was there any damage?

At first I thought you were talking about the personal earthquakes that my body gives me every now and then, in which I have to look at others reaction to determine, if its real or me.

Hope that everything is okay and that there are no aftershocks!

Comment

Earthquake in Oklahoma?

Being born and living in the LA area all my life I'll take your earthquakes if you keep your tornadoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Tia1 View Post
        Earthquakes are scary. What was the magnitude? Was there any damage?

It occurred in Cherokee, OK, about 140 miles away. I read in one article that there was no damage. It was reported to be a large earthquake, yet there was no significant damage there.

Here, it was just a little bit of windows rattling. Was very weird; we don't have earthquakes in KS and we didn't know what it was. I wondered if it was just wind; my husband wondered if it was a tornado from aways away. It occurred around 1;42am. I didn't figure out what had happened until I read about it this morning.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by pb909 View Post
          Earthquake in Oklahoma?

Being born and living in the LA area all my life I'll take your earthquakes if you keep your tornadoes!
          Really? I'd be the other way around. Tornadoes tend to do damage in a small path, whereas earthquake damage is more widespread. Tornados can be detected ahead of time on radar, and we have lots of warning time to get to a safe place.

Actually, although The Wizard of Oz movie is responsible for KS having a bad tornado reputation, I've lived in KS for all of my adult life (over 30 years) and have never seen or been in a tornado. We get warnings sometimes, and go to our basement to wait out the storm. But, the closest one ever came to me was seven miles away and that was way back in 1990.

Oklahoma is way worse for tornadoes than KS is.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I, too, grew up in earthquake country. They are very scary but not really as bad as it appears on the news. Most of us carry on without a scratch.

In 1987 we had a 5.7 that was a sharp jolt in the middle of the night. A few nights later there was an aftershock of 5.0. The aftershocks continued for about a month at around 3.0 on the Rector Scale. Our nerves were getting pretty frayed.

Then a woman, who had been successful at predicting events, predicted an 8.0 at a certain time and a certain day. My sons nanny was terrified of them because she was from Guatamala where a relatively small earthquake can kill thousands of people. So, on the day of the doomsday prediction, we set up a tent in the backyard with food and water and everything we would need to survive. At 2:30 in the afternoon, we all huddled in our "shelter". We waited and waited...oops no earthquake.

Moral to the story: we can't predict earthquakes.

But the biggest one by far was in 1994. We had had a very hot January. It was 90 degrees for weeks. My husband and I had decided to separate. I rented a house in the canyons on a hill. The first night after I moved in, I had just gotten to sleep. The house started to shake and it shook and it shook. I was sure this was God's punishment for me leaving my husband. To be continued...

Comment

A 4.7 is a sizable quake, even for folks who are used to them. And yes it's true that they can't be predicted and damage can occur over a wide area. But, unlike with a tornado, you aren't pelted by rain and hail, and you don't find your couch, your dog and your Aunt Betty in a gas station three miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
                A 4.7 is a sizable quake, even for folks who are used to them. And yes it's true that they can't be predicted and damage can occur over a wide area. But, unlike with a tornado, you aren't pelted by rain and hail, and you don't find your couch, your dog and your Aunt Betty in a gas station three miles away.
                This earthquake wasn't scary; it was somewhat novel. Because it occurred 140 miles away, we heard the windows rattle and, maybe, felt a little quake. And. apparently, even where it occurred in OK, there was no significant damage. One article said no damage.

Tornadoes often touch down in a rural area in the middle of nowhere and the only damage they do is to some crops. The ones you hear about, with lots of damage, are the rare ones that occur in a populated area. Although I don't wish to be IN either a tornado or an earthquake, I suspect the likelihood or injury and damage, if living in tornado country, is much lower than earthquake country, because tornadoes are not generally wide-spread.

The 9.0 Tohoku earthquake and subsequent tsunami killed more than eighteen thousand people, devastated northeast Japan and cost an estimated two hundred and twenty billion dollars.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Fortunately, 9.0 quakes are rare. And in the US, even large quakes of smaller magnitude are still rare.

In the US, dozens of people are killed by tornadoes every year. Unless there's a large quake (and there have been only a few), the number of people killed in the US in a year by earthquakes: One or two.

In the US, tornadoes kill about 100 times more people every year than earthquakes do. That's why so many people would rather live in earthquake country than tornado alley. The odds of survival are so much better.

Comment

We have a lot of earthquakes in southern NZ with the most recent, significant one being 6.3 in Christchurch in February 2011. 185 people were killed and there was a lot of damage. Although there has been a lot of rebuilding, there is still much to do and a lot of families are living in pretty poor conditions.

We're glad we live several hundred kilometres away from there.

Hopefully there won't be any more like it for many, many years.

Comment

Hi Mamabug,

I live in a part of the country where an earthquake is almost unheard of. Had one about 15 years ago. Didn't know what it was until the next day when I heard about it on the news. Felt like a big truck drove by the house. Glad everyone was ok and no one was injured.
                      RRMS: Diagnosed July 2013
                      Assistive Device: cane.
                      Meds: Copaxone, Ampyra, Vitamin D

Comment

I left a story unfinished.

The house shook. I felt like I was in one of those machines that mixes paint. It shook and shook and it never stopped. After a minute there was a pause and and it shook again. I felt as if I was is a plane that was about to crash. Was this only the beginning?

Finally, it stopped. I went to turn on the light. No electricity. I searched through all my belongings, that were scattered all over the house from moving, for a flashlight. Finally found one, managed to find some clothes and shoes and my purse, made my way down 3 flights of stairs to my car and drove off. The aftershocks kept coming every 10 minutes. They were of less intensity, but not much.

I drove through the windy road in the canyon, up to the top of the hill and down. Huge landslides were leaving piles of dirt in my path. A big rock hit me. I kept going, hanging onto the wheel for dear life, terrified.

I made it down to the valley, past burning buildings, under a freeway underpass that was shaking (I later learned that it collapsed right after I went under it). There were no traffic lights, no lights on anywhere. The only thing to light the sky were the burning buildings. Smoke was everywhere.

Finally made it "home". My husband was there alone. Luckily our son had been staying with his grandmother. The house was pitch black. My husband was walking around, a broken man. He couldn't talk. I walked into the kitchen. Everything that was in the cupboards was on the floor, bottle of broken vinegar, pickles catsup, plates, cups scattered everywhere.

My husband,still speechless, pointed to the chimney outside. It had all crumbled to the ground. We went inside and lay down on the living room carpet. It was 4:30am, pitch black. We would get a few minutes rest before another devastating aftershock. We listened to a battery operated radio. It was a 7.9. Later upgraded to an 8.2. The sun came up but that was only the beginning. It wasn't until we were able to get some news that we found out what had happened in the rest of the city.

That changed my life forever. Earthquake preparedness became a way of life.

Never been in a tornado. I agree that they are more scary. There is a lot better chance of surviving an earthquake that getting hit by a twister.

Comment

After the calculations were done, the 1994 Northridge earthquake was a 6.7. (The follow-up investigations showed that the 8.0-ish was a myth started by conspiracy theorists.)

There were about 60 people killed. Tragic, but, unlike with tornadoes, it was still only one rare occurrence, not something that happens regularly, every year.

I'd rather feel the earth move under my feet.

Comment

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, jreagan70. On Wikipidia, of the 10 deadliest natural disasters, 5 were earthquakes and none were tornadoes. If I add the deaths in the 5 deadliest tornadoes together, they total 4199. If I add the deaths of the 5 deadliest earthquakes together, they total over 3 million. Those statistics were world-wide.

In the US, I read that hurricane deaths average 47 per year as compared to tornadoes 56. Not a huge difference. But, I still believe the potential for earthquakes to be far worse are there. Just look at the worldwide statistics. Earthquakes can also trigger floods and tsunamis and they do an incredible amount of damage. Although tornadoes are destructive in their small area (usually measured in hundreds of meters), earthquake damage is more widespread.

Ya know, I think we learn to cope with what we are used to. I'd rather deal with MS than with cancer. I'd rather deal with MS, than with losing a child. I'd even rather deal with MS than with divorce.

Maybe natural disasters are like that, in a way, too. Maybe we each "prefer" our "own" disaster, because we've learned what to expect and how to deal with it. I like the warnings and being able to go to my safe place.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Christmas Eve of 1978 I was living in the interior of Alaska and we had a 6.2 Earthquake. I just happen to be in the restroom and everything started shaking. There was no doubt what was going on. That was some Christmas present.

As for tornados, I lived in Witchita,KS for 2 years. I saw one post that said they had lived in KS for 30 plus years and never saw a tornado. Well that's because we had them all in the two plus year time I lived there. You could always tell when the weather was going to be rough because the skies would turn a brilliant emerald green. It was a beautiful color but the weather was more than scary. I even saw double tornados during one particular storm. I have lived all over this beautiful country and I believe that day was some of the worst weather I have ever experienced.

Now I live on the Gulf Coast and watch for hurricanes every year. I have ridden my fair share of bad ones out. Betsy, Camille, Katrina and Gustave just to name a few. Some of you may recognize those names.
                              Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                              Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                              X