Cogmed Working Memoory Training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cogmed Working Memoory Training?

Has anyone tried or heard of working memory training thru cogmed.com?

I came from neuro appt, in which we discussed my cognitive issues. He told me to check out cogmed and see if interested and financially viable for me. They have been using it in some schools to help increase working memory in some children, but have also used it in adults with deficits and/or to fight normal aging.

It is based on premise of neurospasticity and ability of brain to rewire itself.

Funny, he also gave me a reading list of books for the brain. The one he wanted me to read related to the adaptability of the brain, is actually on my bookshelf, I just didn't remember reading it. How appropriate is that? Good thing my sense of humor is still with me. It actually was a gift from my old neuro, he had just finished with it, leant it to me, and told me to keep it as inspiration. It is called "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge.

I have to do due diligence and look at research, but was curious if anyone was familiar with and could share any knowledge?

Thanks.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

I am guessing since no responses, no one is familiar with this. But just in case someone missed it, just thought I would bump it up.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi pennstater,

Unfortunately I have not tried Cogmed before. But I do have a copy of that book by Norman Doidge. The book said that certain deficits can be improved even if the injury/disease occurred many years ago however it did stress that not all things can be fixed by neuroplasticity. I myself was having trouble with vertigo and balance issues for many years, and the book inspired me to try vestibular training. It didn't fix my problem completely but it did help even though I started the training 9 years after my problems began.

I don't think this has answered your original question, but I do hope you can find something that helps you.

Comment

too funny for words!!

Well you should get a hoot out of this response for sure!! I visited your thread a few days ago as this really applies to me and my new normal =making up of words, forgetting words or how to spell, loss of time and space blah blah blah. Saw the suggestions but did not respond.

Note: when responding to my thread of vintage, lazy thoughts?? I finished and then was scanning the posts. I noticed yours and thought wow this could really help me!! So eager to find help I hit the buttons!! What to my "wondering eyes should appear? The very same thing I already read "stupid" see I already forgot but promptly remembered once I read it ( Thank God for spell ck)

Can you say "yeah I feel foolish once again"? Now it's a regular event bahahaha
        Good luck to both of us and everyone struggling with this new normal======J in TN

Comment

Working...
        X