Today I fell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I fell

I can't honestly figure out how it happened. I was on the latter of my daughters bed and next thing, i'm on the floor. Ouch! I didn't think that I would bruise, but I did and with or without the bruising, it hurts.

I wish I could figure out how it happened. I can't be dropping for no reason. A little worried…

Tia I wish I could be of some help but I too have fallen several times and it happened so fast I didn't know why I fell.

Your legs could could have given out, you could have been overcome by vertigo or there could be other reasons you fell. But off hand those are the only two reasons I can think of. Those are the same two I came up with when I fell so fast.

I would suggest you notify your Neurologist and be careful in the future.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your fall, Tia. I hope the floor was carpeted! I, too, have fallen many times - apparently from an invisible slithering gremlin that lurks and waits....

I don't do ladders anymore. Please stay safe, alert and cautious
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I like Seasha's explanation ... gremlins ...

I have also fallen, many times. My body was moving forward and my feet weren't. Turned around too fast and dizziness took control. My foot got stuck on something and I couldn't unstuck it before momentum took control. I was using my cane when in Costco coming out of the bathroom, there was water on the floor maybe you can visual the rest ... so many things happen to cause us to fall.

Be so careful, bruises are bad enough but broken bones are worse.
        Karen

Comment

Sorry to hear of your fall, Tia. I hope you didn't hurt yourself badly.
          I too have fallen a few times and like yourself, I don't know what happened for me to fall - so you're not alone.
          Take care and be careful,
          Dec.

Comment

I know, it's scary

I really don't know how many times I've fallen. Usually it's because my legs go out of control, either speeding ahead of the rest of my body or refusing to move at all while the rest of me keeps on going. Or they just give out on me. Or I turn too fast. Or, I don't know, the gremlin theory makes a whole lot of sense to me! I definitely do not risk ladders.

Comment

Hi Tia,

I'm so sorry you fell. I hope you are OK! I also recommend letting your neurologist know.

I've found myself suddenly on the floor, many times. Even invested in upgraded padding in the rooms we have carpeted! Balance problems, legs/knees suddenly giving out, misstepping and suddenly being overcome with dizziness are just some reasons why I've fallen. Haven't felt safe stepping up on so much as a step stool (unless there was something sturdy I could grab just in case) for a long time!

A few months before I was diagnosed, I even went head first down our basement stairs. Went to step over our cat (who didn't want to budge off the landing), and next thing I know, I'm at the bottom of the stairs. Don't know how I managed not to break anything, but I was badly bruised and so sore I could barely move the next day. I looked pretty bad, too.

Please be extra careful and watch out for those gremlins!
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Gremlins, lol. The variety that like to hijack airplanes, like in vintage Bugs Bunny planes? Those gremlins are...concerning. Not a lot of people remember those, and probably think of the vicious creatures from the movie of the same name. Those were vicious too.

I like to blame aliens and their well known experiments on us. OMG the probes......lol. If I could I'd post a pic of that "History" channel guy with the weird hair (Google "I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens" meme)

Tia: A quick personal inventory: Are you on meds that caution "Do not operate heavy machinery while taking this drug" or some variation of same?

Were you hungry or tired when it happened? (...could have just overtaxed your resources/stamina at the time, maybe a cumulative fatigue build-up...like you "shorted out" as an electrician would say).

Had you just received shocking news/won the lottery/witnessed a child picking up their room unsolicited?

Just a couple trial balloons for you, shoot 'em down if you like.

Originally posted by Karenkay View Post
                I like Seasha's explanation ... gremlins ...

Comment

Your not the only one...

I only fall when tired, but I'm tired all the time. I'm tired all the time because I have to concentrate so hard on moving from point A to point B without falling! It's a vicious circle! Walking and chewing gum at the same time isn't a joke to me, but a highly sought-after skill!
                  Tawanda

Comment

I can also relate. I have fallen several times, I think I'm being careful and Bam, I'm on the floor.

Thankfully I've never broken anything except some dishes but you are right, it hurts.

I'm glad you weren't hurt and take care.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Yep, the gremlins did it!

I think that is the most explainable answer.

I wasn't dizzy or doing anything strenuous, and no exciting news, just dropped! I have given myself a lot of different reasons, but none really explain my fall. I was fine before and after. Almost like I lost a second and it happened.

Thanks for your concern, and yes indeed a bruise is far better than a broken bone.

Stay safe everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                        Hi Tia,

I'm so sorry you fell. I hope you are OK! I also recommend letting your neurologist know.

I've found myself suddenly on the floor, many times. Even invested in upgraded padding in the rooms we have carpeted! Balance problems, legs/knees suddenly giving out, misstepping and suddenly being overcome with dizziness are just some reasons why I've fallen. Haven't felt safe stepping up on so much as a step stool (unless there was something sturdy I could grab just in case) for a long time!

A few months before I was diagnosed, I even went head first down our basement stairs. Went to step over our cat (who didn't want to budge off the landing), and next thing I know, I'm at the bottom of the stairs. Don't know how I managed not to break anything, but I was badly bruised and so sore I could barely move the next day. I looked pretty bad, too.

Please be extra careful and watch out for those gremlins!
                        Owww! I'm glad that you didn't break anything going the expressway down the basement steps!

Comment

Bearings

It is scary, embarrassing and painful.
                          It helps to make sure you have your bearings when you first stand up befit taking a step.
                          I was evaluated earlier this year as a 98% fall risk. My husband says keep it in the 2%. Lol. I occasionally stay in the 2%.
                          "If you think life is all honey and no bees then you have room to rent upstairs" Adrian Rogers
                          Dx MS March 07-Avonex, Provigil, Ditropan XL June 07 started Solumedrol 1x a month

Comment

Originally posted by deb2238 View Post
                            It is scary, embarrassing and painful.
                            It helps to make sure you have your bearings when you first stand up befit taking a step.
                            I was evaluated earlier this year as a 98% fall risk. My husband says keep it in the 2%. Lol. I occasionally stay in the 2%.
                            Hi Deb,

Does that mean you ave a 2% chance of falling or a 98% chance?? It is scary, and this was a first for me, I feel I'm entering strange and unwanted territory.

Please stay safe!

Comment

Working...
                            X