Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesion heals-symptom eases

Hi,
    I had a baclofen pump implanted February 2015. Many months of weekly adjustments and at this point I am using a cane, which I didn't need when I had the pump surgery.

In late August I was starting to get very weak and loopy. My physiatrist determined that we overshot the baclofen and began cutting back at my weekly pt appointments. I am now at a dosage that I had mid summer, before the cane and I still need to use it. I'm still loose.

I had a full MRI done in September and all lesions stayed the same or improved. No new ones. Yay Tecfidera!

But, could an improved lesion lessen the spasticity that I have?

Thanks
    Paula

Originally posted by RonPaulaD View Post
    Hi,
    I had a baclofen pump implanted February 2015. Many months of weekly adjustments and at this point I am using a cane, which I didn't need when I had the pump surgery.

In late August I was starting to get very weak and loopy. My physiatrist determined that we overshot the baclofen and began cutting back at my weekly pt appointments. I am now at a dosage that I had mid summer, before the cane and I still need to use it. I'm still loose.

I had a full MRI done in September and all lesions stayed the same or improved. No new ones. Yay Tecfidera!

But, could an improved lesion lessen the spasticity that I have?

Thanks
    Paula

Hi Paula,

Not sure if I know the answer to that question...but I know that MS symptoms can wax and wane, despite lesion activity in the brain (i.e. lesion load getting worse or lesions disappearing.) An MRI is just a snapshot, at a particular time. Our lesions are constantly in flux.

I'm in the same place as you with my pump. I had mine implanted in 2/2011. I've had to
    go in from time to time for incremental dosage changes...up until now, it has always been an increase in dose and has worked beautifully at dealing with spasticity/

But a few months ago I was having leg issues, my physiatrist said my tone was good and loose...but my muscles felt so tight. He suggested going down a bit on the dosage because one leg was especially wobbly. I downed the dose, and then did it one more time. I'm maintaining a level of spasticity in order to walk, but I'm also using a cane. One leg still feels wobbly but at the same time muscle wise it's crampy. Only way to alliviate the pain is to use the cane and not put pressure on that leg. I'm doing PT now, we'll do some imagine study if I don't get better to see if this could be something other than MS causing the muscle spasm and pain.

I haven't had an MRI, but a few year ago we (neuro, PT, and physiatrist) tried to chase down the reason for leg issues, and came up with nothing we could visualize on films or MRI. It just was, and eventually it just got better.

Hope you find some answers and are able to shed the cane. Right now I'm pretty dependent on mine in order to avoid pain when I stand and walk. (I even rewarded myself with a new cane...black paisley pattern, glow in the dark gel handle and stop ( at the bottom of the cane.) I guess the glow in the dark cane is a safety issue for all those late night MS joggers with canes )

Comment

Working...
    X