Need Work From Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Work From Home

I would love to get up every morning and fight the traffic or crowds on the train...

I would love to be overworked and not have time to cook dinner for my kids...

I would love to have "work friends" and run out to shop during my short lunch hour...

================================================== ====

You get the idea. I haven't worked in years. It's really not an option for me (you don't need details - I have MS like you).

But there's a lot I can still do but basically only from my computer at home. I spend a lot of time on the computer but basically "watching the world go by" without me.

I need some sort of job. I have a strong computer background - That's what my degree is in but I haven't worked in computers in 25 years so I'm way past outdated. I did a little website building (but only on my own so I never really learned from professionals). I did some amazon online selling. I did some technical writing, but I'm not experienced enough to get jobs on my own at home.

My kids are mostly grown so I have a lot of free time.

I really need a job from home (for my sanity more than the money - which would be nice too).

There must be jobs that peple here do from home - Any suggestions?

There must be a lot of people here who work from home.
    Dx 1/86 at age 23
    Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
    Tysabri - 2011 - present

Check out Apple at Home Advisor. Just google it.

Training and equipment supplied by Apple. No experience with Apple products needed.

Basically, you need extreme patience, and GREAT customer service skills.

Good luck!

Echo
    Echo
    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

I had a WFH for a year, up to about a year and a half ago. It was a call center job, sixth total, third inbound.

It was good until I well and truly burned out on it. Optic Neuritis came back, and my ability to walk went with it. After a couple more months I called it off. No employment since then.

...so I'm not going to recommend any call center for the raw stress of it. If you "need" the work, go ahead and try it. Keep an eye on your health, though. 8 hours a day of back-to-back people with problems isn't fun. It was tech work (Xfinity Signature Support/Comcast WiFi to be specific) so you might be up for it. Look up Support.com if you want to try it.

I've tried to find something in my chosen field, but there's not much call for WFH web devs where I am. There might be something in your area.

Best of luck.

Comment

Donna:

Place an ad for tutoring services to teach people the basics of computers from your home. It could turn into a good word-of-mouth business for you, provided you feel comfortable with people coming into your home? Got a big dog? Home security system? Good neighbors? Just a thought.

After a little vetting of what your customers need help in, you could research the software/topic and provide them a walkthrough of the applications to where they develop a comfort level using the computer interface, learn how to personalize it for their preferences, and can leave with the ability to utilize online tutorials and stuff.

Comment

Still looking for ideas. I don't think I'm quick enough for a call center or customer service. I don't think so fast immediately. In a minute I'll realize what I wanted to say but I'm not good at quick answers. That's what's good about the computer. It's easier for me to communicate by email than talking one on one.

Yeah, it's hard... today I'm tireder than usual. Not sure why but no job looks good to me today

Thanks for the suggestions - I need more
          Dx 1/86 at age 23
          Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

What about proof reading people's university assignments? When I was new to university and scared I was writing a whole lot of rubbish I got things proof read before I submitted them.

You wouldn't need any face to face with this and it's not something that would have to be done immediately if you were having an off day.

Comment

FreeLancer

I have had some success with doing freelance work, there is everything from proof reading, writing technical manuals to even some long term commitments doing web administration. I use a site called upwork dot com but if you just google "freelance work online" you should see lots of websites that connect freelancers with companies looking to hire freelancers.

Some jobs barely pay some can pay 100 bucks an hour just depends on demand and skill set and your level of skill.

Great way to work from home and keep yourself busy while also bringing in some additional income. The companies don't mind that you have MS because they don't offer health insurance and they aren't investing a lot into training you. I have found it to be a somewhat perfect solution and depending on how I am doing any given day I can look for work that I am up to that day.
              Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

NTI

look into NTI, they have work at home agents, I just went through the process this summer and am working now from home with them.

Comment

NTI

I started with NTI this summer, there was training and then when I got hired, more on the job training. While you take alot of calls the intensity varies day to day. It is helping me at this point financially but it isn't for everyone. NTI works with the Ticket to Work program from SS administration. Good luck.

Comment

Some ideas here

wahm .com/forum
                    Last edited by Seasha; 12-22-2015, 12:16 PM.
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Facing reality?

Some great ideas here and I will look into them but first I must share what happened today...

A little background - I was a computer programmer for 5 years (I loved it) - Well then we moved to a different country, I started having kids... And, Oh, yeah... things were harder cause my MS makes me tired... Well then I had a big MS attack (my fault, I wasn't under any Dr's care - actually, MS was new to me - 7 years since diagnosed but I was in denial). The good thing was that I started collecting disability which let me just be a Mom without having to go out to work. The bad part was that nothing was pushing me to get back out there and work. So my computer education is really totally outdated (25 years since I last programmed).

Well then I found a new career. Technical writing! Since I'm not in an Anglo country Anglos like me can get jobs as technical writers which pays pretty well since the work is in Hi-Tec companies. A friend of mine opened a technical writing company for a while and she started giving me work to do at home which was perfect then. Since then she went back to working in a company so I can't work for her from home.

So now I'm getting to the main part of my story... Today I got a call from an agency that I had sent my CV to years ago and they have a possible job for me. It's half an hour away from my house. I asked if I can work part time, and she contacted them and they said OK to three days a week (not from home).

Suddenly a job falls in my lap. Now the reality check. I don't drive anymore. There's no way to get there on public transportation. I have no idea if I can handle a full day of work. I probably can't. I have this "dream" of me going off to work and everything being fine. Who am I kidding??

The agency lady said she'll call to set up an interview tomorrow
                      Dx 1/86 at age 23
                      Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Oh Donna, I am so sorry that after wanting to do something , anything, productive that you ran into this roadblock

I too have dreams, but when I stop to think about them I realize that in all honesty I am not able to say that I will be able to meet any contract which entails me being anywhere at defined times consistently.

I signed up as a volunteer at the local animal shelter a few years ago. Pretty much come in whenever and do whatever. And I didn't even have the energy to go in and play with the puppies . Whenever I start to think "just maybe ... " I have to remember that.

I was really hoping that you could find something that would work for you. And still am! Don't let this one bump stop you from looking further.

Comment

Getting over it

I was really bummed out about the job. Then my husband came home and he had gone food shopping and bought all the wrong things!! One more thing for me to feel like I have no control over my life .

Now I sent the agency lady an email, so she'll see it in the morning before she sets up an interview for me, telling her that i can't take the job cause I have no way to get there but told her to keep me in mind if she finds a job closer or working from home.

But now I'm looking at working from home. I don't want where you're on the phone the whole time, but TaoWarrior posted here a freelance company called upwork and I actually see some possible jobs for me so things are looking up . I would love to go work in an office but it's like saying - I would love to not have MS. But if I work on these freelance projects it will make me feel better
                          Dx 1/86 at age 23
                          Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Might be some freelance opportunities here too. Haven't tried their freelance companies, but there are forums you can talk with others about it there.

wahm .com/forum/transcription-writing-508
                            Last edited by Seasha; 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM.
                            ~ Faith
                            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Didn't catch the part about you being a coder. In 25 years languages have changed, syntax and APIs are all different, but programming is still programming. Even if it doesn't look like BASIC anymore.

At that point, look at an associates degree in web development? It goes as deep as you can handle and is equally as broad. There are loads of options in the field, and there are as many places looking for freelancers as there are freelancers looking for gigs.

So yeah, try a home based degree, get some web space (or set up your own) to practice on. Learn some JavaScript. From there, try some JSF, .NET or PHP if you have good memories of Perl. Learn a database or two, or at least some SQL.

If nothing else, learning new skills will keep your brain busy for a while.

Again, best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X