OFF TOPIC, VA AND TOTAL CHOICE PROGRAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OFF TOPIC, VA AND TOTAL CHOICE PROGRAM

Is just me or has anyone else had problems with Total Choice receiving orders from the VA? The first time I had use Total Choice was at the VA's request and it still took forever for the VA to upload the orders for my MRI to Total Choice.

This time I requested to continue seeing the Pulmonary Doctor that saw me in the hospital. He has formulated a game plan for treatment and testing. My PCP at the VA concurred and said that would be best. Not only that but the nearest VA Pulmonologist is 70 miles away. I was with my PCP when she wrote the orders for Total Choice yet here we are three weeks later and no orders have been uploaded. So I had to e-mail my PCP's RN to have this fixed ASAP.

Just wondering if anyone else has used Total Choice and has had this problem?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Yes, for many people the Choice program is a complete joke. The VA sees the program as competition and seems to be undermining the program. The VA raiding 40% of the money allocated for the program. They also believe 40 miles is from the nearest facility even if that facility does not offer the needed service.

At this time, the program is supposed to have your request after 4 days after creation.

My Choice program request took 5 months from start to appointment. Please remember the goal was so that veterans would be seen within 30 days. Another appointment they wanted me to drive 110 miles that again defeats the purpose.

Comment

Marco,
      I'm sorry you had so much trouble but I'm glad I'm not the only one. The time I used Choice it took a while. I know my appointment will be coming up soon so I'm trying to take care of this now. No telling how long this may take.

I happened to see a Veteran ask Donald Trump what he would to help the Veterans and specifically mentioned the Choice program. Of course he didn't know anything about it but was going to knock heads and get it fixed.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

Babe Ruth

Comment

The Choice Program was Congress putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound. It would be cheaper to put veterans on a Medicare Advantage plan and just get rid of the VA. The VA never should have gotten into the Primary Care business for veterans as they were already failing the veterans with service-connected disabilities. People with twisted ankles at the mall should not compete with someone that lost a leg in combat for appointment space or budget dollars. Disabled veterans should not compete for the same dollar with VA employees for their raises and bonuses.

I could fill up this and several other pages with information about the VA, but I'll save my rancor for a more appropriate forum. I just hope you get the medical care that you earned and deserve.

Thank you for your service and I wish you well!

Comment

Yes it is a joke

Actually things happened pretty quick for them to contact me about a Neurology appointment. the MS NP at my VA ordered a consult with the Non-VA MS Neurologist I have been seeing for the last 5 years. These have all been Fee-Based appointments that the VA paid for in full. As soon as this "choice" program started the Fee-Based office has refused to authorize any appointment with my Non-VA Neurologist.

When I saw the MS NP at my VA 3 weeks ago she was upset that they had not been letting me see my Neurologist for over a year and she put in a request for me to be seen by my Neurologist. It only took a couple of weeks for the "Choice" program to contact me about an appointment with my Neurologist. But at the initial contact by them they told me that my Medicare would be billed for the services and I would have to pay any deductibles and co-pays for the visit.

So at least at my VA they are using this program to rip off the Vets and not pay for the services. And if this is true (I have asked since then for confirmation of who would pay) why would we even need to go through their program if in the end we end up paying any way? I could call up my MS Neurologist tomorrow and get an appointment right away. No wait for the slow working VA people to set up an appointment. But of course I can't afford the deductible and co-pays for the appointment so I can't even set up my own appointment.
          Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

I was recently interviewed by NBC for a story on this very topic. Just this week, four other stories have hit all stating the same thing. While the VA claims that improvements have been made, those improvements are generally not being seen by veterans. In Austin, our wait times are significantly higher than before the wait list scandal hit that prompted creation of the Choice Program. The VA already has SIX (6) other programs that would allow a veteran to receive care outside the VA. The largest was the "Non-VA Care Program."

Please remember the goal is to see veterans within a 30 day window and within 40 miles of their homes. They have scheduled me out as far as 5 months and 110 miles from home. Complete failure! Here's roughly how my Choice Program appointments are going:
            - It took more than 30 days for the VA to simply put my request into the Choice Program.
            - Then 5-7 days for TriWest to receive the Choice Program Request
            - TriWest then calls to get my scheduling preferences
            - 1-2 weeks later, I hope to get a letter in the mail with the appointment
            - Then pray the provider has a clue about what you need help with
            - Then hope the provider gets paid so they do not drop out of the program for other veterans.

The VA is paying up to 30% LESS than Medicare, has a ton of paperwork and is a known slow payer. Why ANY physician would agree to work with them is beyond me. They are essentially doing charity work for veterans because the VA is a mess.

Comment

I am having a MRI today through the Choice program. It took a couple weeks to get everything straight with the VA but finally got it together. But here's the kicker.

While I was talking to the nurse at Tri-West she discovered the nearest large VA Facility is located 70 miles from my house. She told me I should qualify for the 40 mile program and told me to call the VA. The first time I called the VA I was told I wouldn't qualify because a shuttle service I'd offered from the small clinic located near my home. I called Tri-West back and they told me that was wrong. The program is based on how near the VA facility that offers full services is located to your home. So I called the VA back. This time the lady I spoke with became upset and said they need to quit telling Veterans that. She said if you have any VA clinic located within a 40 mile radius of your home you don't qualify and that is just how it is.

I haven't given up yet. I'm going to call Tri-West back again today because I did read their rules and it says a "VA clinic within 40 miles of your home." I am going to ask them to reverify their definition of CLINIC. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Babe Ruth

Comment

I ended up writing a Congressional.

Because that was the only way I was going to get the type of care I needed. I live in a rural area snd needed Physical Therapy that was more than once every 1-2 weeks. Transpsortation is sporadic and I had already gone around and around with the facility (which by the way is 50 miles away) that could do me justice. There is a medical hardship/burden exception to the choice program. It took a congressional to get them to admit that.

Comment

Working...
                X