Importance of a living will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importance of a living will

My Dad passed away early yesterday.I could use some prayers and/or good thoughts.

As he said, he had a good life. Mom passed last year and Dad lived with us the last 17 months. He was 90 and celebrated 60 years with Mom. He was ready, but of course, we are not. A WWII veteran and member of the greatest generation, he worked hard to give us all a better life.

Hard to believe. We went for a long walk Friday and out to breakfast Saturday. He had one of his favorite foods and that afternoon, in ER and hospice care by early Sunday. Thankfully, we all knew his wishes and had a living will and DNR. He was able to say what he wanted again.

The doctors, nurses, and hospital administration all commented that it is rare that families agree and a patient gets in hospice that quick. Not because the patient doesn't need it, but because families argue and wind up prolonging a patient's suffering. A wake-up call for all of us, regardless of age.

On an oddly comforting note, Dad passed away in the same hospital room, with the same nurse, same day of the week, within one hour of Mom's death. Today was Mom's birthday. It seems to all of us that Mom was leading the way for Dad. They loved to dance, so they are now celebrating together again, sharing that first special dance.

Have to go comfort a very depressed dog. Keeps crying and looking for Dad.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Thank you for sharing this most important message. I both smiled and teared while reading the lovely tribute to your Dad. I picture your parents dancing right now. My condolences to your family and dear pooch.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

that brought tears to my eyes and I did not even know your dad. But rest assured, he is with your mom, dancing away!
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi pennstator, I want to wish you my deepest sympathy and I really do know how it feels as I just lost my mother this may. You are so correct about the living will ours went pretty well but I could not imagine it, if my mother had not set everything up because, we still had some problems even with it.
        I will keep you in my prayers. You have been very helpful. I hope things go well for you.
        PEACE Tim

Tortis

Comment

I am so sorry...

Kathy I am so deeply sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute you wrote about him and how wonderful that you were able to be with him during his last time in this world.

I know your parents are dancing together, and they are watching over you.

My prayers are with you during this difficult time.
          Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

My good thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. That was a beautiful tribute to your parents.

Comment

Kathy, I am very sorry for your loss My God bless you and your family at this very difficult time.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the reminder, but so sorry to hear about your loss.

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                On an oddly comforting note, Dad passed away in the same hospital room, with the same nurse, same day of the week, within one hour of Mom's death. Today was Mom's birthday. It seems to all of us that Mom was leading the way for Dad. They loved to dance, so they are now celebrating together again, sharing that first special dance.
                I believe your mom was guiding him to his heavenly home. Your parents obviously had a very special bond. And, yes, they are dancing together again.

May you find peace in knowing this was more than a coincidence. My condolences to you and your family, Kathy, during such a difficult time.
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi Kathy~ What a touching tribute for your dad and mom. It melted my heart.

My dad and mom are 94 and almost 93 celebrating 73 years together. I'm sure when one passes the other will follow shortly behind. It's a special bond our folks hold; I'm sure of that.

My prayers of comfort for you at this time. Be comforted that they get to carry the love with them as they dance away~

Blessings to you and thanks for the reminder that we all, regardless of age, need a living will.
                  Hugs!
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Kathy, I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. I pray that God will comfort you and give you strength through this difficult time and that you can focus on the many beautiful memories that you shared with your parents.

Comment

So sorry for your loss. Thank you, in the midst of your grief, for reminding us of the importance of living wills.

23 years ago, when our children were toddlers, hubby and I made a will, including a living will. We'd like to redo it, all these years later, to reflect our current wishes.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Kathy,

Big Hugs. ((((()))))
                        Katie
                        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                        "My MS is a Journey for One."
                        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Kathy, I am so sorry about your dad's passing and you are right, I believe your mom and dad's in heaven dancing together.

May God give you & your family comfort.
                          God Bless Us All

Comment

My condolences to you, your family, and one sad pup.
                            Your tribute to your parents is beautiful. I can picture them meeting and dancing in Heaven tonight, at the start of their eternal honeymoon.
                            "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                            Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Thank you all for your kindness, good thoughts, prayers and cyber hugs. Much appreciated.
                              Kathy
                              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                              X