Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need ur help to find Clonazepam alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need ur help to find Clonazepam alternative?

Hi everyone
    I am looking to switch from my nightly dose of 0.5mg Clonazepam to an alternative med. I take it because my right side twitches at night and I can't sleep without it. I take Baclofen during the day, as well as Cymbalta and Tecfidera. MS 17 years+

I'm afraid that I'm showing signs of long-term benzo problems, but I'm not sure - I've been feeling very low, flat, overwhelmed, dizzy and weird over the last few months, but it really does not feel like depression - I've no loss of motivation to engage but I just feel 'weird'.

I've been taking 0.5mg of Clonazepam for over 6 yrs now and I'm just wondering is it causing this feeling.....

Can anyone tell me what you take for spasms at night, if it works well, or your experiences with Clonazepam?

Many thanks,

Hi Guzzy,

Is there a reason you don't take the Baclofen at night? Baclofen helps with spasticity, day or night.

I took Clonazepam (Klonopin) for ten years at a much higher dose without any problems. However, this medication was not originally prescribed for my MS. My Drs. knew I used it, at times, for some MS symptoms.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Guzzy:

I have the same question: why aren't you taking baclofen at night also?

How long have you been taking Cymbalta? How long have you been taking Tecfidera?

Is there some reason you think your symptoms are due to clonazepam and not to Cymbalta or Tecfidera? A lot of people are discontinuing Tecfidera for a variety of reasons, not just the GI effects.

Comment

Not sure?

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        Hi Guzzy,

Is there a reason you don't take the Baclofen at night? Baclofen helps with spasticity, day or night.
        I honestly don't know Snoopy; it's what the MS nurse recommended. Maybe it's because my leg is jumping so it's like having one restless leg.

I am quite under-medicated, but I hate how spaced out Baclofen makes me feel. I'd love to have more pain management but each time I up the dose I find my considerable fatigue gets worse.

Just not sure what to do....

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
          Hi Guzzy:

I have the same question: why aren't you taking baclofen at night also?

How long have you been taking Cymbalta? How long have you been taking Tecfidera?

Is there some reason you think your symptoms are due to clonazepam and not to Cymbalta or Tecfidera? A lot of people are discontinuing Tecfidera for a variety of reasons, not just the GI effects.
          Hi Jreagan
          I'm just not sure except I think the MS nurse thought Clonazepam might help more.

I was reading about Clonazepam use and was concerned that long term use does come with cautions.

Perhaps you're right about Tec. I'm still flushing 18 months on, put on half a stone. But my cognition seems sharper.

I dunno....

Comment

Hi Guzzy,

It's pretty common for Baclofen to cause more fatigue anytime you increase your dosage but this should improve as your body adjusts to the new dosage. Since Baclofen is a muscle relaxer it should help with your leg jumping at night.

Is it possible the nurse simply didn't want you to take both Baclofen and Clonazepam together? If this is the case I would question why as they can be taken together but your fatigue will increase quite a bit.

I am not sure if I am remembering correctly but I think Baclofen has a short life within the body, meaning it's affect lasts (I think) 6 or 8 hours. If this is the case it should help you sleep as well as calm down the leg jumping and by morning the affects of that night time dose should not be that noticeable.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks Snoopy

maybe the nurse thought Clonazepam would last longer. It certainly leaves me very sleepy the next day.
              I think I will ask her can I slowly transfer over to a night-time dose of Baclofen instead.

Many thanks for your kind help
              H

Comment

Working...
              X