Hiking with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiking with MS

I have always loved the outdoors but spent most of my life in a place where hiking is hot and dusty and unpleasant.

Now, I'm in one of the most beautiful places in the country. Everyone goes out hiking at least once a week. I'd like to join in. Any ideas?

I can still walk but we are talking about a flat surface, the wall on one side of me, cane on the other.

I've been looking on the internet and it seems someone invented a wheelchair designed to go out into the wilderness with the help of a few people to push it. What freedom it would be to experience nature like I used to when I was young!

Has anyone tried this? If you have, where did you buy the chair and how did it all work?

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
    I have always loved the outdoors but spent most of my life in a place where hiking is hot and dusty and unpleasant.

Now, I'm in one of the most beautiful places in the country. Everyone goes out hiking at least once a week. I'd like to join in. Any ideas?

I can still walk but we are talking about a flat surface, the wall on one side of me, cane on the other.

I've been looking on the internet and it seems someone invented a wheelchair designed to go out into the wilderness with the help of a few people to push it. What freedom it would be to experience nature like I used to when I was young!

Has anyone tried this? If you have, where did you buy the chair and how did it all work?
    I don't know anything about the wheelchair you asked about. Have you tried walking poles ? I tried them on my last hike and they really helped. I am not sure I would be okay on a really hilly hike, but fairly flat with light ups and downs they were perfect.
    Good luck - nothing nicer than the great outdoors !!

Comment

I did a search for "off road wheelchair" and saw a few things that would be good... one, the "Trackchair" had treads instead of wheels and looked good, but those are spendy.

I'd think about taking my walker off road, but I have trouble with that thing just going downhill in a parking lot.

Comment

I looked up "trackchair". Pricy! Fine if you have an extra $11,000 laying around.

Comment

Someone suggested a horse. That seems like the ideal answer. It's not some awkward mechanical thing and I doesn't burden your fellow hikers with the load of carrying you.

Comment

hiking

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
            Someone suggested a horse. That seems like the ideal answer. It's not some awkward mechanical thing and I doesn't burden your fellow hikers with the load of carrying you.
            Hi, I love hiking too. I think there are many trails that are accessible to those of us with MS or other handicaps. They may not be quite as spectacular or as rewarding, but they are more easily reached. They should be marked on trail maps as "Handicapped-accessible."
            Good hiking! Nothing is better for MS than exercise.
            We are limited not by reality. But by imagination.

Comment

My mother recently had an above knee amputation and she has the Air Hawk electric wheelchair. She uses it for everyday use, but its lightweight and foldable and they say it can be used on rough terrain and inclines. I think it would work for "hiking" on a fairly flat dirt path. It has long battery life too. The cost is just under $2000. Not cheap, but fairly reasonable for what you get. It can also be pushed as a manual chair if needed. A web search for Air Hawk Wheelchair should find it for you. My mom loves hers :-)

Comment

palmtree, hiking in the moutains was one of my most favorite past time years ago and it's one of the things I miss the most!! I live in an area where there are thousands of hiking trails that I can't get to.

I recently bought a book that lists barrier free (handicap accessible) trails in my state. So, we just got back from a 3 day get away and managed to go on 3 trails and I loved it!! All 3 were narrow paved pathways, my husband pushed me in my standard (not pricey) w/c and it was fun for both of us. It's definitely not the same as before, but being in the forests, fresh air, the smells , waterfall and lake views did my heart a world of good!

You might try to find a book for your area. Of course, a horse back ride would be wonderful too!
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Working...
                X