Buying a used wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a used wheelchair

I have an opportunity to buy a wheelchair from a neighbor. Right now I don't need one... still walking despite the fatigue. But I'm looking to the future. And my husband might benefit from this sooner than I will.

Do I need permission from my neuro to get one? Does it have to be registered or anything? My plan is to put it in the garage until/if I ever need it. It is motorized.

Thanks
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti!

No, you don't need permission from your Dr. nor do you have to register it. Can you imagine the work load on the doctors part if they had to grant permission for every assistive devise we need

Now, if you wanted to buy a new one from a company, sometimes a Doctors referral stating it was a necessity would help with your insurance to pitch in on the cost.

I have a motorized scooter in my garage as well that I bought from a friend. So far haven't used it and it's collecting dust! It's great you're looking into the future for you and your needs. My hope is that you're never have to use it
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Hi Marti!

No, you don't need permission from your Dr. nor do you have to register it. Can you imagine the work load on the doctors part if they had to grant permission for every assistive devise we need

Now, if you wanted to buy a new one from a company, sometimes a Doctors referral stating it was a necessity would help with your insurance to pitch in on the cost.

I have a motorized scooter in my garage as well that I bought from a friend. So far haven't used it and it's collecting dust! It's great you're looking into the future for you and your needs. My hope is that you're never have to use it

Thanks Seasha. Turned out to be a scooter which would need a ramp and a lift. Not really what I was thinking of. I'm not anticipating the need for one, but I know how the fatigue and leg pains treat me sometimes and I can only imagine things getting worse as I age. Thanks for the advice.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
      X