Unexpected Consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Consequences

It amazes me that with all the information out there people still dont grasp the seriousness of this disease.

Recently, I underwent Gallbladder Removal Surgery because of going into complete Gallbladder Failure. Not from stones or sludge mind you, but because of MS.

Now it looks like the same lesion might have gotten my stomach too. I am loosing weight by the bucketloads, and I can't eat. It is possible I will need a feeding tube. All caused by MS.

Anyone else out there with unexpected "complications" from MS? Has something funky went horribly wrong?
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

I just read your latest post and I swore on your behalf. Colorfully, you would have been impressed. A feeding tube!

I wish I could do something for you....
    oh wait, I have an idea. I'd like to be your pen pal. You seem to be very literate, and I enjoy the old-fashioned art of letter writing. I had a penpal when I was in high school, a boy from the Netherlands. It was really fun coming home to find his letters in the mail.

You want to correspond? I'll forward you my snail mail address if you want.

Comment

I wish I could say for that all my many illnesses were coming as a result of MS. But I'm just not sure. All I know is that I have developed many autoimmune diseases since my dx in 2001. And they just keep piling up.

I now have IBS, Graves, Gastritis, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Dry eyes, Periodontal disease, Fibromyalgia, Degenerative disc disease and on and on. I realize aging brings on some of this. But it all seemed to pile on at once.

The doctors all say "this is part of your MS". They all say "MS makes everything else seem worse." So I see exactly what you are saying. So sorry you (and all of us) are going through all this. There is so much pain in this world.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by BadAttitude View Post
        I just read your latest post and I swore on your behalf. Colorfully, you would have been impressed. A feeding tube!

I wish I could do something for you....
        oh wait, I have an idea. I'd like to be your pen pal. You seem to be very literate, and I enjoy the old-fashioned art of letter writing. I had a penpal when I was in high school, a boy from the Netherlands. It was really fun coming home to find his letters in the mail.

You want to correspond? I'll forward you my snail mail address if you want.
        I would love to be your pen pal! My email is in my profile.
        Katie

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
          I wish I could say for that all my many illnesses were coming as a result of MS. But I'm just not sure. All I know is that I have developed many autoimmune diseases since my dx in 2001. And they just keep piling up.

I now have IBS, Graves, Gastritis, Osteoarthritis, Osteoporosis, Dry eyes, Periodontal disease, Fibromyalgia, Degenerative disc disease and on and on. I realize aging brings on some of this. But it all seemed to pile on at once.

The doctors all say "this is part of your MS". They all say "MS makes everything else seem worse." So I see exactly what you are saying. So sorry you (and all of us) are going through all this. There is so much pain in this world.
          Too much pain in this World.
          Katie

Comment

Katie,

I am so sorry to hear. MS is really ticking me off about now. I do hope something can be done. Take care.
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Another "Unexpected Consequences" I endured was periodontal disease. My meds that I take for MS caused some of this. But then one of my MS doctors, who has MS herself, told me she lost several teeth and a lot of dental work due to the same thing. She said the MS itself causes this besides the meds that dry out our mouths and eyes.

I was truly surprised to hear about the gall bladder problems. Mine was ejected several years ago. Makes me wonder if MS caused it to fail back then.

As far as losing weight.... you might want to get your esophagus and stomach checked for Gastritis. I lost down to 82 lbs before we found that I have mild, chronic gastritis and polyps. If I'm not mistaken, gastritis is or can be another autoimmune thing.

This is a great post. Thank you for it.
              Marti

Comment

Hi Katie.

I clicked on your profile under the "About Me" tab as directed by site staff, but your email is not shown on the screen. Site staff assures me that is where I am supposed to find this information, and since you say it is there, I must conclude that gremlins stole it.

Check my profile for the email I added today and perhaps we can bypass the site glitches.

Comment

Katie I'm sorry you're having these problems. I ended up in the hospital a couple weeks ago for 4 days having problems breathing. The Pulmonologist I see said he doesn't believe it is caused by my MS but I'm starting to wonder. My breathing will get better then the next morning I'm struggling to breath again.

I never know what to expect. This can be a scary thing. Waking up and gasping for air. I get to my Nebulizer to take a breathing treating as fast as I can. However, this morning it didn't help as much as it usually does.

I'm beginning to think this is a as related. If this keeps up I'm going to E-mail my Neuro with the VA and get in to see her.

Good Luck to you Katie!
                  Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                  Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
                    Katie I'm sorry you're having these problems. I ended up in the hospital a couple weeks ago for 4 days having problems breathing. The Pulmonologist I see said he doesn't believe it is caused by my MS but I'm starting to wonder. My breathing will get better then the next morning I'm struggling to breath again.

I never know what to expect. This can be a scary thing. Waking up and gasping for air. I get to my Nebulizer to take a breathing treating as fast as I can. However, this morning it didn't help as much as it usually does.

I'm beginning to think this is a as related. If this keeps up I'm going to E-mail my Neuro with the VA and get in to see her.

Good Luck to you Katie!
                    I have had a lesion identified that led to my heart. I too would pursue with the Neuro.

Good Luck to you too.
                    Katie

Comment

Originally posted by BadAttitude View Post
                      Hi Katie.

I clicked on your profile under the "About Me" tab as directed by site staff, but your email is not shown on the screen. Site staff assures me that is where I am supposed to find this information, and since you say it is there, I must conclude that gremlins stole it.

Check my profile for the email I added today and perhaps we can bypass the site glitches.
                      The gremlins put it back! I sent you an email and I hope you got it.
                      Katie

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                        I have had a lesion identified that led to my heart. I too would pursue with the Neuro.

Good Luck to you too.

How do they identify lesions to any specific organ?
                        Marti

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                          How do they identify lesions to any specific organ?
                          Every part of the brain is responsible for specific functions of the body. So if you have a stroke or a bullet wound or in our case a lesion ... it depends on what parts of the brain was affected and doctors can identify what kind of deficits one might have.

There used to be a really nice chart that broke it down nicely...have not seen it in awhile.
                          Katie

Comment

Katie, I'm sorry that you are having so much trouble and will continue to pray that things settle down for you.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                              Every part of the brain is responsible for specific functions of the body. So if you have a stroke or a bullet wound or in our case a lesion ... it depends on what parts of the brain was affected and doctors can identify what kind of deficits one might have.

There used to be a really nice chart that broke it down nicely...have not seen it in awhile.

I am assuming that our doctors would tell us if they found a lesion that could potentially cause some serious problems right? Or is this another thing WE have to take charge of and be proactive in researching these things?
                              Marti

Comment

Working...
                              X