Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
    Which Ad is that?
    Whatever commercial Kathy was referring to in her post just above mine. I do not watch television so I've never seen it myself.
    Holly

Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner.
    - The Replacements

Comment

this is just great

I had my kids educated to the fact that MS is not fatal. (DD especially freaked out when I was dxed. Now this show has the dr. giving the patient a few months to live because of MS! I just hope none of my family saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
        So......I sent a tweet and then an email to CBS stating my complaints....response....crickets.....
        Way to go
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          Amen!!

Of course that probably wouldn't sell much medication.
          Yup. That was my point. I tried 2 different dmd and my quality of life suffered greatly because of them. I never noticed a difference in my disease at all.
          Karen

Comment

If the way MS is portrayed in that show is the only issue you have with that show consider yourself lucky. I could only make it through like 5 episodes before I spent more time yelling at the TV over all the tech inaccuracies than I did watching the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Golightly View Post
              Whatever commercial Kathy was referring to in her post just above mine. I do not watch television so I've never seen it myself.
              O.K. That was Tecfidera. I was scared Tysabri did the same stupid thing.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Maybe if MS was 'fatal', it would receive the urgent attention it deserves !

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                  Anyone want to tell Annette Funicello that is isn't fatal?

Imvho it is fatal especially quick for those who have a progressive form. Things like pneumonia which might actually be listed as the cause of death were a direct result of having MS.

C'mom that we as people with MS can't accept that fact and act like it only happens to someone else is sad and serves only to temporarily placate us while the rest of the world looks the other way.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                    I have lost two friends to MS. They both died at the age of 50. I think most websites have changed the terminology to "MS is rarely fatal".
                    Katie
                    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                    "My MS is a Journey for One."
                    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

So......I sent a tweet and then an email to CBS stating my complaints....response....crickets.....
                      So I received a few answers to the first question I asked. Evidently Megan's demyelination occurred on the nerves that affect the esophagus's ability to send food to the stomach. Because of this she has recurring bouts of aspiration pneumonia that is weakening her lungs, and this is why the doctors feel she won't last much longer. Now it makes sense especially since KatieAgain's trials.

Comment

So I received a few answers to the first question I asked. Evidently Megan's demyelination occurred on the nerves that affect the esophagus's ability to send food to the stomach. Because of this she has recurring bouts of aspiration pneumonia that is weakening her lungs, and this is why the doctors feel she won't last much longer. Now it makes sense especially since KatieAgain's trials.
                        Not yesterday, but the week before, they did a great job of presenting a synopsis of what was wrong with her, and how the MS had affected her. They used layman's terms for what aspiration was and how it affected her lungs. They even mentioned that since she aspirated, her lesion was more than likely in the medulla...that was spot on because the nerves in the medulla control autonomic function which includes swallowing. I should go back and listen to that episode because their explanation was succinct but very informative.

In addition to swallowing problems, and breathing problems leading to death, patients with lesions in the medulla can also die from Sudden Death in MS (SUDMUS)...there again, lesion in the medulla, active demyelination, and it can provoke a cardiac arrhythmia that can lead to death. Maybe it's just me and I'm being morbid, but after seeing and hearing from folks with end stage MS, sudden death from MS doesn't seem like a bad option.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                          Not yesterday, but the week before, they did a great job of presenting a synopsis of what was wrong with her, and how the MS had affected her. They used layman's terms for what aspiration was and how it affected her lungs. They even mentioned that since she aspirated, her lesion was more than likely in the medulla...that was spot on because the nerves in the medulla control autonomic function which includes swallowing. I should go back and listen to that episode because their explanation was succinct but very informative.

In addition to swallowing problems, and breathing problems leading to death, patients with lesions in the medulla can also die from Sudden Death in MS (SUDMUS)...there again, lesion in the medulla, active demyelination, and it can provoke a cardiac arrhythmia that can lead to death. Maybe it's just me and I'm being morbid, but after seeing and hearing from folks with end stage MS, sudden death from MS doesn't seem like a bad option.
                          I agree rdmc. I watched the episode the week before, but forgot all about it until today when I watched last night. The additional explanation really helped. Heck, maybe my email and tweet had an impact.

It makes one realize how MS affects each individual differently, and after last night's episode, how important it is to have an advanced directive.

Comment

My Uncle died from his MS also. Not saying I will, but I sure feel like it sometimes.

I am NOT a fan of Scorpion. It's just too out there... too unbelievable for me. There's a new one on now about a guy who takes a pill and... he's a genius. Another one I do not like.

Why did Scorpion have to choose MS as it's disease of the day? I'm sure it does scare a lot of people unnecessarily. Not everything on tv has to be "reality".
                            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

You can add my mother and sister in law...

Mom's death certificate said "pneumonia" but MS was the real deal there...it was listed as a contributory cause or something. She was 45. My 59 Y.O. sister in law had MS to the point of living in her bed for the last 10 years of her life. She died of a heart attack, but again, MS was listed as a secondary cause when it was MS that led to her being totally bed-ridden which obviously led to inactivity.

I can tell you the insurance companies know that this is "fatal". My husband is the only one with life insurance. We could not afford it for me with my MS diagnosis...

Sorry to be a downer, and sorry to repeat this phrase everyone is sick to death of, but "it is what it is" and I have experienced it in my immediate family.
                              Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                                Mom's death certificate said "pneumonia" but MS was the real deal there...it was listed as a contributory cause or something. She was 45. My 59 Y.O. sister in law had MS to the point of living in her bed for the last 10 years of her life. She died of a heart attack, but again, MS was listed as a secondary cause when it was MS that led to her being totally bed-ridden which obviously led to inactivity.

I can tell you the insurance companies know that this is "fatal". My husband is the only one with life insurance. We could not afford it for me with my MS diagnosis...

Sorry to be a downer, and sorry to repeat this phrase everyone is sick to death of, but "it is what it is" and I have experienced it in my immediate family.
                                There were no happy endings...Megan died last night from MS. However, she chose how and for her, that was important. I can honestly say I learned more about this disease than I knew before.

Comment

Working...
                                X