Stupid MS Question about TV Show Scorpion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid MS Question about TV Show Scorpion

O.K., I know this is a stupid question, but I'm watching the latest episode, and Megan O'Brien is going in for "deep brain stimulation" to help with her tremors. However, she is going to die in a few months, and she looks darn good to me. I'm trying to figure out what type of MS she has that the doctors are sure will kill her in a few months. "The Google" didn't help, and I'm not understanding. Yeah, I know, its just a TV show, but I assume they must be basing the plot thread on something tangible. Any ideas?

As far as I know, there isn't a form of ms that kills within months. Maybe they're basing the plot on what will draw the most viewers. Shows like that aren't helping us.

Comment

Was wondering the same thing!

I saw last nite too. I have no idea what they are even talking about. I don't even know if this is a real treatment.
      Diagnosed RRMS 4/7/15, symptoms for 8 months prior. Copaxone 4/27/15

Comment

TV writers are not a reliable source of verifiable facts about disease progression. They are great at fantasy and fiction. Not so much with facts. The show isn't a 'news' program. It is 'entertainment'! The girl with MS is probably going to be 'written out' because her contract expires !

Comment

Information about Deep Brain Stimulation:
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23975649

Most with MS complain about how the disease is portrayed. Some feel the portrayal makes the person look too good, not bad enough or too bad.

My complaint is the commercial for Tecfidera is ran giving the impression you can walk, hike and do all the things you want to do on Tecfidera. Then you watch the portrayal of MS on Scorpion. Really???

My thought as to the looks on the faces of those that have no knowledge of MS....
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

SNOOPY

I agree with you on the commercial about Tecfidera. It's made to look as if you take this medication you will be able to do all these things. Well, I took Tecfidera and I haven't been able to go hiking, biking, running and all those things. Such a poor portrayal!!
            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
            Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
              O.K., I know this is a stupid question, but I'm watching the latest episode, and Megan O'Brien is going in for "deep brain stimulation" to help with her tremors. However, she is going to die in a few months, and she looks darn good to me. I'm trying to figure out what type of MS she has that the doctors are sure will kill her in a few months. "The Google" didn't help, and I'm not understanding. Yeah, I know, its just a TV show, but I assume they must be basing the plot thread on something tangible. Any ideas?
              Well of course she looks good, she's a movie star! lol

I appreciate the hollywood depiction of MS which usually is severe because I think it brings about awareness as well as showing just how nasty this miserable disease can get.

If someone gets bent out of shape by seeing a portrayal of severe MS my guess is they are probably somewhat in denial about our actual prognosis.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Information about Deep Brain Stimulation:
                http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23975649

Most with MS complain about how the disease is portrayed. Some feel the portrayal makes the person look too good, not bad enough. :
                They should include a video of Annette Funicello. 'nuff said.
                Karen

Comment

Maybe we should start a petition to have pharmaceutical company acknowledge that actress depicted and daily abilities will vary! I am sure they would pull the commercial before saying that. I get they want to sell the perfect life if you take their drug and really hope it comes true for many, but it is not the reality.

I was at my Tysabri infusion when it came on Monday.. all said great to see MS med commercial, but what it implies sucks. We can't do some of those things in a week, if at all, let alone the same day.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I've not seen the show "Scorpion" but I have been to a Scorpions concert. Does that count?

Perhaps the show's writer has MS and created the storyline to get back at the Tysabri ad?
                    Holly

Ain't lost yet, so I gotta be a winner.
                    - The Replacements

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Golightly View Post
                      I've not seen the show "Scorpion" but I have been to a Scorpions concert. Does that count?

Perhaps the show's writer has MS and created the storyline to get back at the Tysabri ad?
                      Which Ad is that?
                      Katie
                      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                      "My MS is a Journey for One."
                      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Karenkay View Post
                        They should include a video of Annette Funicello. 'nuff said.
                        Amen!!

Of course that probably wouldn't sell much medication.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Golightly View Post

Ha, ha I've seen both!
                          Anonymous

Comment

I agree the show is a little off base - I'm glad they included MS but I think the months-to-live theme is pushing it for someone that seems to be pretty able physically. Maybe they should have gone a RR or early PP / SP version?

No comment on "deep brain stimulation" since I know absolutely nothing about it.

Comment

So......I sent a tweet and then an email to CBS stating my complaints....response....crickets.....

Comment

Working...
                              X