Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which MS drug most effective, statistics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which MS drug most effective, statistics?

Are there any impartial statistics available on which MS drug is the most effective in slowing down the progression of the disease?

I was told by a doctor that the new oral treatments are more effective than the injectables, but I met another MS patient who said that according to her doctor the injectables are more effective than the tablets. What??

I'm currently on Betaferon, have been since my diagnosis a couple of years ago. I don't like the bruising on the injection sites, but I haven't needed to go into a hospital during this time. And also the routine blood tests show it works. I haven't had any MRI's done since my diagnosis, so I have no idea what they would tell.

Hello Hannah,

Slowing down disease the rate progression has been a subject of considerable debate in discussions about MS meds. Some believe the older meds barely have any effect in doing so, however, there are long-term studies which clearly show benefit, IMO.

Although imperfect, what we can do for the sake of comparison is look at the effect of the MS medicines compared to placebo. When I combined two factors, reduction of relapse rate and reduction of new lesions seen on MRI and apply the result to each FDA approved med this is what I found…

To me, there appear 3 distinct tiers of MS medicines.

Tier 1… The most effect relative to reducing relapse rate and new lesions are Tysabri and Lemtrada. The stats show approx. 70% to 90% reductions. Both are infusions.

Tier 2… The next most effective two are oral meds, Gilenya and Tecfidera. They reduce relapses and lesions by about 50% to 70%.

Tier 3… Copaxone (Glatopa is generic copaxone and has same efficacy), Aubagio, Avonex which is an interferon, all the interferons have similar efficacy including, Rebif, Pelgridy, Betaseron, and Extavia. They reduce relapses and new lesions by about 30% to 60%. All are injectables except Augabio which is oral.

All the stats are approximate; they are percentages compared to placebo in large trials which you can verify with study of each drug.

Generally, the more effective meds carry more safety risk. Each drug has a safety profile to consider.

Don’t forget that vitamin D level, smoking, stress, exercise, and diet play roles in MS progression, also. General well-being is important to everyone and especially for people with MS.

You have my best thoughts for success!

Comment

Working...
    X