Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you looked on cms open payment site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you looked on cms open payment site?

Hi! Have you looked to see how much money your neurologist makes from drug company meals, education events, etc.?

I've seen $$ amounts mentioned here & there on this site when discussing medications but can't remember specifics.

Does it even matter to you?

Do you think it effects his/her treatment protocol?

My personal situation: My doc made over $35,000 last year, most of it from one company. It does happen to be the same drug I'm weaning off of.

I'm one if those patients that doesn't show much on MRIs but did have positive spinal tap and previous lesions. The fact that he has made so much money (in addition to other reasons) has impacted my decision to NOT stay on the drug. Mainly because it seems like he treats based on what insurance will pay for and which drug company is giving him extra cash.

Am I being too harsh here.? Do you agree/disagree?

The link to the website is posted as my signature.

As a provider I personally do not believe the dinners I attend influence my decision as to what I prescribe other than I definitely do more research and learn more about that medication. I think it serves to get my attention. In my specialty I have found that most medications in the same class are actually fairly similar so while there are some people who absolutely can't tolerate one brand most are fairly interchangeable. Unless the new latest, greatest really offers something unique and has been shown to be as safe as the other options I'm perfectly happy to continue prescribing the tried and true.

Maybe consider what he received the money for? Was it speaking engagements? Professionals are compensated for their time and I don't find that at all unreasonable. In most cases lecturing physicians have decent experience using the medications they are pitching and are knowledgeable about them. Truthfully for a physician $35,000 is not a large amount of money.

Maybe seek a second opinion before making up your mind? Good luck with whatever you decide.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Working...
    X