THIS IS SO HARD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS IS SO HARD

I am about to stop work, a job I have loved . I am stopping because of my ms. It has just got too difficult. I am a gp and have 7 more working days. Most of my last few surgeries have been people coming in to say goodbye. I ended up in tears when an 18 year old asked if she could hug me, as she has never seen another doctor. Of course, I said, then wished I hadn't. ....it is so hard. Everything is hard. And I don't know what I will do after, just sit and cry I think. As indeed I am doing now.

Originally posted by annedocuk View Post
    I am about to stop work, a job I have loved . I am stopping because of my ms. It has just got too difficult. I am a gp and have 7 more working days. Most of my last few surgeries have been people coming in to say goodbye. I ended up in tears when an 18 year old asked if she could hug me, as she has never seen another doctor. Of course, I said, then wished I hadn't. ....it is so hard. Everything is hard. And I don't know what I will do after, just sit and cry I think. As indeed I am doing now.
    Yes...it is hard. I hate this disease and what it does to us. Cry if you need to. It helps. But keep asking yourself whatelse can you do besides a full time job. Can you use your skills in a volunteer capacity? (((HUGS)))
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by annedocuk View Post
      Hi annedouk: it must be so hard for you,to stop a job you love. Just Hang in there and surround yourself with supportive people. I worked for 25 years at a job I loved doing. I had to go on ssdi as ms became too hard to manage with work. It took me a couple of years to figure out how I can do the work I love and deal with ms also. Good luck Roxy118

Comment

I am SO sorry

MS is so unfair. I agree with Katie though. is there something you could do part time?

Comment

Such kind words. I had only been working three days a week. Cutting down further is not really an option as the costs to work ( eg insurance etc) would be more expensive than income.
          The trouble is that I have been there for a while. 30 years almost. But without MS could have done another 10 years +. Many GPs work to 65 +. I have seen some patients through from their birth to the birth of their children. Everyone is leaving with handshakes and all manner of best wishes. I do not want to stop, and seemingly people want me to stay. For my patients it is just a change of style, for me, it will feel like the end of my life.

Comment

Just wanted to say I'm so sorry. This disease steals so much more than our health.

I hope you can find a way to still use your skills. Can't speak enough of the rewards of volunteering.

Hugs ,
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I'm so sorry MS is causing this to happen. What a miserable disease. I wish none of us had it.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

Can you reduce your hours?

Significantly? Sleep is so important, you must need more, can you just think of it as a break? Sabbatical?

You know I was never religious but now I find myself drawn to the faith of my forebears and it helps my mental health a lot. I'm bed-bound and rarely see anyone, I can't even see out a window yet I find some way to keep fighting every day - have no choice.

There is some other invaluable way you can contribute to this world, with your education and experience. You are surely not the first doctor who had to venture on elsewhere.

Good luck and godspeed.
                ---------------
                "It's never crowded along the extra mile." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Comment

Working...
                X