Recovering Alcoholic/Drug Addicts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovering Alcoholic/Drug Addicts?

Even though I am undiagnosed and still in limbo, it has been something I have been thinking about.

How do you deal with the narcotic drugs that can come along with some of the symptoms?

bump

Anyone have any advice?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Kacerpie.

NA literature has several suggestions for people with this concern.
      In my experience, most physicians do not routinely prescribe narcotics anyhow, BUT on the occasions that they do you can always ask for another drug which isn't a narcotic. IMHO the best way to handle this is to let your physicians know that you are a recovering drug addict and ask that they work with you on this.

I would suggest that you work closely with your sponsor to help you come up with a plan that works for you. For today take a deep breath and remember that it is only a thought until you act on it .

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
        Hi Kacerpie.

NA literature has several suggestions for people with this concern.
        In my experience, most physicians do not routinely prescribe narcotics anyhow, BUT on the occasions that they do you can always ask for another drug which isn't a narcotic. IMHO the best way to handle this is to let your physicians know that you are a recovering drug addict and ask that they work with you on this.

I would suggest that you work closely with your sponsor to help you come up with a plan that works for you. For today take a deep breath and remember that it is only a thought until you act on it .
        Thank you. I'm actually an alcoholic, however figured there had to be SOMEONE on the boards that had experience with either one or the other. As of now I have been working fairly closely with my sponsor, and although she has been great with taking me though the steps and such, medications and health issues are not something she has dealt with.

In asking around I was able to reach out to someone that got West Nile Virus, and has been battling that while maintaining 21 years of sobriety, however I have not been able to find someone that has been dealing with MS as of yet.

Does NA post their literature online?

Comment

I agree that working with your physician and disclosing your concerns would be the way to go if you find yourself with pain issues.

Personally I do not believe the research supports long term opiate use as effective for chronic pain so at least at this point in time I'm not considering that route which does away with a whole host of problems that can come from their use.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Hi Kacerpie

I agree -- if you tell your doctor you're in recovery, I'm sure he/she will work with you. There are many non-narcotic pain relievers that can be quite effective.
            I've had RRMS for almost ten years and have never needed a narcotic.
            Good luck with your MS and your recovery.

Comment

In my VERY humble opinion, it could be that you were drinking to self-medicate your budding MS symptoms. I think MS symptoms are worse than any drug and alcohol withdrawal. When I was diagnosed my doctor wrote me a prescription for Xanax and 100 10mg Percocet with 3 refills.After 2 months she sent me to a pain management doctor.

It was very hard for me to accept that I had an illness that can need controlled substances to control the symptoms. But my pain management doctor explained to me the difference between dependence and addiction. Dependence just means your body has become accustomed to the drug. Addiction is a behavioral condition where a person
              starts becoming compulsive about taking the drug to "fix" bad emotions. Symptoms of addiction are taking more pills than prescribed, trying to refill the medication early, asking for a certain drug and a certain dose, calling the doctor's emergency line on the weekend, etc.NW

It's a matter of being honest with yourself. Am I taking this drug just because I want to feel better or is it because I am truly in pain? Remind yourself that, if you take too much of the drug and build up a tolerance, it won't work when you need it.

There is a way to avoid all of this. Anti seizure medications relieve symptoms without the risk off addiction. Lyrica is good for pain. Gabapentin works for neuropathic pain and is also used to ease the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal. Primidone is useful for tremors. Baclofen helps with spasticity and muscle cramps. And there are many others for MS symptoms.

Good luck with all of this and take care of yourself.

Comment

Manage your symptoms

I agree with the other posters: work with your sponsor, check your motives, try non narcotics where possible, tell your docs.

And adding my own experience, here are a couple other things to watch for. I need to cope with my symptoms and be gentle with myself. I actually relapsed (alcohol, not pills) when: I ran out of Lyrica so my legs were on fire, I pushed through too much fatigue and was exhausted, and I was an emotional basketcase. So I drank to self-medicate. Thankfully, it was short - lived. But I learned that fatigue falls into the "accept what I can't change" bucket; self-care is something I can.

Also, be aware of the possibility of adapting addictive behavior to a different drug. Don't fight it or refuse meds, just watch it. I take Lyrica which can be habit-forming, but at least offers no immediate gratification. I do make sure I portion it as part of my daily pillbox and don't carry extra.

I also requested to try Provigil instead of Adderall (sp?). It's supposedly less addictive. My doc had to send in a letter to the insurance company stating that it is a better option due to past addiction, but I was really afraid of getting on an upper-downer cycle, so he wanted to prevent that risk. Again, it works but offers no "rush" so I'm not tempted to double down on it.

You certainly aren't alone in your concerns. If you need advice or support, I would definitely look for people who've experienced chronic illness. They can help put it in perspective and balance any messages you may hear from people who think you can never take meds in recovery.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                  When I was diagnosed my doctor wrote me a prescription for Xanax and 100 10mg Percocet with 3 refills.After 2 months she sent me to a pain management doctor.
                  Thankfully the government is getting involved and making recommendations for prescribing practices like this now. Its always about considering the risks vs benefits but since the contraindications are well known and well publicized if the patient suffers harm for these combos it will not bode well for the provider.

http://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/def...ombos-2014.pdf
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Hi!

I am an alcoholic myself, and I went to a meeting recently where someone talked to me about this. This person said the most important thing they ever did was tell every doctor fro mom dentists to physical therapists that they had an alcohol problem. Its well documented in all their medical records and so narcotics are a no go unless absolutely necessary. Then you must learn to take medicine exactly as prescribed and only for the prescribed length of time.

I have also heard that some drugs like lyrics affect drinking habits. Not for everyone but for some. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that any new medicine you take, keep an eye on how it makes you feel as far as drinking is concerned.

Good luck to you!
                    You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

This has been a very good discussion. I am familiar with those who are concerned also about taking opiates, whether they are struggling with addiction or not.

My experience is that my MS doc would not ever prescribe opiates anyway. Opiates are meant to be used for acute, short term issues, like post injury/surgery kinds of things. And yes, a pain management doc would be helpful too. BUT there are other meds that are not addicting, even narcotics which are not opiates and not as likely to become addictive.

So we all need to make our wishes known so we are not given meds we know could be a problem in itself. I remember arguing with my dentist following an extraction for not wanting ANY opiates.

Also, I cannot take most pain meds as for some reason, it makes me lose my balance.
                      I am left to low doses and Tylenol extra strength.

Good luck in your experiences ahead

Jan
                      I believe in miracles~!
                      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by Kacerpie View Post
                        Even though I am undiagnosed and still in limbo, it has been something I have been thinking about.

How do you deal with the narcotic drugs that can come along with some of the symptoms?
                        I am a recovering alcoholic/addict with MS and I take opiates for some MS related pain and other pain. I think the advice about reminding your Doc's about your history is good idea, having an honest talk with your sponsor is also good, but I also needed people in my life who were in recovery and had chronic health issues that understood that I had a problem with no easy fix and that sometimes I would be taking mood altering meds.

In the beginning I had someone that I called about each pill I took. Just a daily check in to keep me honest with myself and another person. I had a lot of feelings of guilt and shame about needing medication that I needed to let go of and this person helped me do that.

I do not do that today but I do talk to a small group of people about my medication situation. I found that AA/NA is filled with people with opinions backed by no relevant life experience when it comes to medical issues. I do not go there for medical opinions. I go to keep my connection to my spiritual solution for recovery from alcoholism.

I believe for myself that if my spiritual condition is fit that I have some protection from relaspe but at the same time I believe that I am at higher risk for relaspe because I am using opiates. It is a risk that I am willing to live with at this point.

I did not need opiates for a very long time and I mostly use them for non MS related pain. So you may never need them. So I guess the short answer is: Be honest, don't keep shame creating thoughts a secret, trust your HP.

Comment

Thank you all!

I have to say I love what everyone is saying. It's nice to know it is all do-able when it comes to the medication portion of this.

It seems that the answer lies with honesty and accountability... Like everything in life.

Comment

Working...
                          X