Brain Health: Time Matters in Multiple Sclerosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Health: Time Matters in Multiple Sclerosis

It is important that we understand how to be as well as possible with MS. This presentation, "Brain Health: Time Matters in Multiple Sclerosis" is tremendously helpful in understanding the disease process and the importance of treatment.

http://www.msbrainhealth.org/perch/resources/time-matters-in-ms-report-oct15.pdf

Yep, fantastic! When they had nothing to sell, MS, suck it up, all will be well if you keep happy and clappy.
    Now they have something to sell, OMG MS is a nightmare unless you take this stuff right now. Which I believe to be probably true.

But some of us have long memories.
    Why on earth are they pushing Aubagio, Tecidifera, Gilenya etc, when it is pretty clear Tysabri or Lemstrada are the way to go?

Are the risks too high? Or is the money too good?

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
      Why on earth are they pushing Aubagio, Tecidifera, Gilenya etc, when it is pretty clear Tysabri or Lemstrada are the way to go?
      Thinkimjob, where did you get the information that Tysabri or Lemstrada are superior?

Thanks in advance, Jules
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Evening, Jules A. Not a true believer, but I've read etc Tysabri is 75% reduction in flares and Lemstrada is even better.
        Honestly, I think I've reached the point where the horse has long sinced bolted. I don't even care so much, because neither heals anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
          Evening, Jules A. Not a true believer, but I've read etc Tysabri is 75% reduction in flares and Lemstrada is even better.
          Honestly, I think I've reached the point where the horse has long sinced bolted. I don't even care so much, because neither heals anything.
          I also thought Tysabri had a bit of a better rate than the others but nothing as impressive as 75%. Frankly although I'm thankful we have so many options none of them blow my dress up and over the term I don't think many if any of us will escape unscathed.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Actually, Tysabri (natalizumab) has proven more effective in real world experience than in clinical trials. You can Google articles on that topic if desired. Below are some rough comparisons to placebo from trials and figures found on the Cleveland Clinic's website. All the meds reduce new MRI lesions with varying effectiveness, also.

1. Copaxone… (glatiramer acetate) subcutaneous injection
            Reduced relapses by about 30%

2. Avonex… (interferon beta-1a) muscle injection
            Reduced relapses by about 30%

3. Tysabri… (natalizumab) IV infusion every 4 to 8 weeks
            Reduced relapses by about 70%

4. Gilenya… (fingolimod) oral capsule once a day
            Reduced relapses by about 54%

5. Aubagio… (teriflunomide) oral tablet once a day
            Reduced relapses by about 33%

6. Tecfidera… (dimethyl fumarate) oral capsule twice a day
            Reduced relapses by about 50%

7. Lemtrada… (alemtuzumab) IV infusion
            Reduced relapses by 78% in one trial

These are 7 meds widely prescribed in RRMS.

Some of the additional meds are actually just different forms of the same med. For example, Avonex is interferon beta; Rebif, Pelgridy, Betaseron, and Extavia are all interferon beta meds as well and have similar efficacy.

Only by head-to-head trials in similar patient populations can good comparisons be made. Above is a rough comparison involving only one measure – relapses - compared to placebo and reported from trials.
            http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...ple_sclerosis/

Comment

I would like to add to Myoak's information the following Webinar and PDF from Dr. Vollmer and Dr. Corboy from the RMMSC.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYI8_5JZUY

You'll need the following pdf to follow as they present the talk.

http://www.mscenter.org/images/stori...oy_DMT-ppt.pdf

Just scrolling through the pdf will provide a load of information. Page 34 begins the talk about the therapies.

Comment

Oral vs injection

I've been taking Betaseron since I was dxd six years ago. I would LOVE to find a good oral drug! I think they "push" them because compliance is much better with an oral drug.

I tried Tecfidera and it was like taking a placebo. After less than two weeks, my brain was mush, I couldn't carry on a conversation, and my walking ability deteriorated noticeably. I went back on Betaseron and returned to my normal state. I can't take Gilenya, and Aubagio doesn't have a very good reputation from real patients. After six years, I'm really getting tired of injections.

Comment

Working...
                X